Feckin corroded bleed nipples

Did an oil and filter change on the 306 and I thought I'd renew the brake fluid as well; I've not done it in the two years I've had it and I don't know how long it's been in there overall. I reckon it's got some water in as it *is* prone to losing the brakes after a bit of heavy use...

I nipped out and bought some dot5.1, WD40'd the first nipple, *very* carefully turned it the correct direction and of course it sheared straight off...

So I thought I might as well do the one on the other side. WD40 again and this time it didn't shear off. Instead, all the corrosion flaked off with the tinyest of pressure and I ended up with a nicely rounded bleed nipple.

I'm gonna drop Rachel off at her work in the morning; the garage I get my MOT's done at is just over the road from her place. Now that a simple job has turned into a fuckabout I can't be bothered with it :(

Reply to
Abo

Serves you right. Should've plus gassed em well in advance and then got some heat on them, plusgassed them again etc. I've yet to shear a bleed nipple off yet, even on calipers that haven't been bled in years, mainly due to a mortal fear of shearing off bleed nipples, meaning I go pretty gently and try *everything* to free them off. That loctite freeze and release spray works far better than I expected it ever would...

Reply to
Doki

I wouldn't care, when we were at Rockingham last weekend I mentioned it to our crew chief and the first thing he said was 'watch you don't shear them off' so it's not like I wasn't warned lol

Decent stuff then, I may have to get some for future use

Reply to
Abo

If you had mentioned it to me I'd have said the same, it gets worse as there seem to be some totally crap ones about at the moment, I watched two snap as they were going on last week at a local garage (a good one not a dealer/quick-fit job).

Reply to
Depresion

That probably means the change is well overdue.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

For future reference, I've been told that diesel oil makes a fantastic penetrating oil. Guess that is why it can find it's way out of diesel pump seals so easily.

Might be worth soaking the nipples in diesel overnight, then trying a tighten the crack the corrosion rather tha loosen the try to fight the thread through any rust on the top of the body/thread. But I hate it when they snap/strip. You are left with trying to find an easyout or reverse threaded drill bit.

Reply to
Elder

All because the manufacturers or their bean counters choose to fit a soft steel manky cheap nipple rather than a stainless steel one that has an anti sieze coating.

It makes my blood boil! Same with half the bolts and stuff under a car. Why use steel for exhausts and brake and fuel/coolant lines? Cheap...

Reply to
Burgerman

And of course if the local council didnt use megatons of rocksalt which is as corrosive as hell and chips your paint and glass to boot, continually from october to april every year it wouldnt happen anyway. I hate rocksalt. It knackers and mucks up cars, motorbikes, wheelchairs, shoes and walls as well as blocks drains and means you cant see out of the windows. all to save us from a tiny bit of frost 3 nights a year. For christs sake if you cant cope with an icy road in these globally warmed days you are better off on the bus. They dont realise it actually causes accidents through crap visibility (windows all mucked up after about 1 mile) and months of artificially slippery roads. Yes salt attracts moisture. (almost as well as it attracts corrosion!) So where we would have bone dry roads for months at a time most of the winter we have permenantly wet ones soaked in a slippery mixture of rubber, salt, oil and soot from poxy desiesels. Even when it hasnt rained for days. Do you know why they use such huge quantities of this evil shit? And for over 6 months? Not because we need it, but because if they dont then next years goverment money allowance for the crap will drop. Bastards.

Phew. Now I feel better! Off to the pub.

Reply to
Burgerman

Or some six pots and bigger vented grooved disks online...

Reply to
Burgerman

And if a s**te design ends up with people not bothering to change the brake fluid as required, it'll end up making the brake fluid boil as well :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

That could be the way forward :D

Reply to
Abo

Heh I did try that on the second one, and it did crack the corrosion! Unfortunately the nut-shaped bit of the nipple was so much corrosion too and it flaked away, then the ring spanner I was using turned on it and it was game over for that nipple too: rounded off...

Bloody poxy jobs, it was all going so well until that point; all the routine stuff was done.

Reply to
Abo

Just spoke to said garage; £30 to sort it all out and change the fluid (I've already got the fluid lol), so it's getting done on Thursday.

Reply to
Abo

Well worth it. IME bleeding brakes is always more hassle than it should be.

Reply to
Doki

Never ever use a 12 point tool on brake nipples. Full hex all the way.

Even a really cheap 1/4 drive set with deep full hex sockets is better than the most expensive 12 point tool for a job like this.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Not everything can be solved by throwing vast ammounts of money at it..... Oh wait ;)

Reply to
Elder