Fecking hate pikeys!

Some little c**ts kicked the 205 in over the weekend! Passenger door has a big dent in, windscreen is completely smashed, 1 headlight smashed, indicator cracked (but salavagable), bonnet bent and number plate gone. Couldnt believe it when i got a call at 11.30pm sat to tell me. Police reckon it was drunken yoofs taking a shortcut back to their skanky estate.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a cheap company to get a replacement windscreen? I'm hoping i can at least get it legal (but battle scarred) for £100 or less.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Pikey bastards.

Get the yellow pages out, or try a scrapper? Think yourself lucky you don'r have a fancy model 206, front windscreen is part that is only fitted by the dealer and "Is £800 thank you sir". :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Have a look in the yellow pages for someone offering "trade prices to all" - there was one in the Reading YP last time I checked, not much good to you though. Anyway, using that guy it cost £60 all in for a new windscreen on t'Astra.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Good stuff will check the YP out. RAC have quoted £120, although they only charged my housemate £85 for his 309.

And to Dan, not really interested in going to a scrappie. Would rather pay the money and get a nice new one, thats fitted properly.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Cheeky, isn't the 205 the same windscreen as the 309?

I keep wondering about windscreen replacement as a service item; the difference in night driving between my stone=flecked (you know, the tiny marks from gritters and stuff) Supra and new Beetle is so marked. Sadly the Supra is a bonded one, so presumably expensive to replace and not necessarily going to be done right.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

We have a cpl of 205's i'll ask my dad but don't get your hopes up just yet lad.

I once saw a porche in manchester while I was running to the train station after a chilli's gig parked with a huge scratch where some one had key'ed it, I felt sorry for him for a sec then I realised the fat bastard prolly has more than enough money to repair it :P

Oh and my bro's ex GF kicked in his car lol.

Where was it when it was smacked up, i would of thought u could hear that going on!?

Reply to
REMUS

Aren't they all bonded these days? FWIW, I rolled my Ka and it had a replacement windscreen. I watched the bloke swap it on my driveway, and it looked something difficult to get wrong. The windscreen didn't cave in, so I presume it was alright.

Reply to
Doki

Easily sorted with an airgun and hammer when no-one's looking ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Well i live in a little cul-de-sac in a fairly posh area (although we have brought that down a bit :)). When my GF came in saturday with the car there was a load of people round so she stuck her car out on the main road (about

100m away). Well i say main, its the road that our road comes off, but its actually a dead end, so theres not much traffic, but its used as a short cut between the bus stop and pikeyville. Unfortunately the car wasnt parked in the line of site of any houses, only walls of houses (if that makes sense). My housemate went out at 10.30 and it was fine and came back at 11.30 and spotted it then. I would have thought someone might have heard it, but no one did so basically theres nothing the police can do. We wont be leaving our cars out there again!!

As i said elsewhere i dont really want a second hand one. Would rather have a nice new one, since as Richard says it will also make a fair bit of difference to visibility.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I figured a man of your skills would be able to fit a windscreen :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Well my GF's parents have offered to pay, so i certainly cant be bothered now :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

"Carl Gibbs" wrote

No cheap windscreen excess on your policy?

Reply to
fishman

"fishman" offered us this on a plate:

Heh, I bet hes got Pikey TPFT or TPO insurance. (c: Isn't it mostly fully comp policies that do cheap windscreens?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Prolly.

Mine is Fully Comp and has windscreen cover. If they repair the windscreen it is free (had that done when a cra in front flipped something nasty up at me) and iirc its £60 for replacement nowadays.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

That's about what my replacement windscreen cost me.

Reply to
Doki

Quote for mine was in the hundreds when I had it repaired rather than replaced, but then I guess they just go mad when it is insurance company paying :-/

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Yes the car does have TPFT as fully comp is not viable on cheap cars. If it gets broken i either fix it, or the decent stuff gets taken off and the rest gets binned. Unfortunately i dont think the £50 windscreen replacement option was taken.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Have you tried ?

My past three cars, have all had minimal difference between the quote for third-party and fully-comp - it makes no sense to go for third-party if you're only saving a few tens of pounds.

Reply to
Nom

Fully comp with silly excess was much cheaper than TPFT for me. It amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned, except I get a £60 windscreen and legal cover and stuff.

Hurrah

Douglas

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

On my Carlton it was actually cheaper FC with excesses maxed out than TPFT. I suppose that's because with a big excess you're almost certainly not going to claim for damage to your own car, and even if you do, it'll cost them next to f*ck all, so the risk is virtually the same as TPFT. That'd be a valid reason why it might be the same cost - as to why it's cheaper - well maybe they view the fact that you're offering a voluntary excess means that you're more confident that you won't crash, and are going to be more careful as it'd cost you more. Or something.