Fiat Sceicento Sporting

Took the missus car for an MOT the other day and can anyone tell me how this car is known as a "Sporting", I think a moped would have a better 0 to 60 time and everyone tries to intimidate you when you drive them too!

Reply to
Me

See that pedal on the right. Press it harder. Yes, that's right, it does go down to the floor.

Now, look at the dial in the middle of the dash. No, not the one with big numbers, the one with smaller numbers and a red sector at the high end of the scale. Got it now?

OK, you press the pedal on the right to the floor and keep it there until the needle on the dial with smaller numbers is just inside the red bit. Then you change up a gear and repeat until there's no gears left.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Still takes quite a long time though, doesn't it?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

They're not particularly quick, no. But they're not all that slow either.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd take a "Sceicento" over a moped. The latter is generally restricted to 30mph, the Fiat's bound to be faster.

(c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes they are. Try driving one.

Reply to
Me

Well the manufacturers stuck some stickers on that say "Sporting", and hence the Seicento Sporting came into existence. If it was fast they'd probably have called it a Seicento "BLISTERINGLY QUICK".

As it happens, they stuck the stickers to a car that has been designed to be driven at full chat everywhere and still be reasonably good fun but not actually very fast.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

We had a Cinq. Sporting for 4 years.

Reply to
SteveH

....and you'll STILL be going DAMN slowly.

Reply to
DanTXD

I'd suggest you go and drive one before making such comments.

Reply to
SteveH

I've driven the Cinq version - same innit?

It was fine for chucking round a carpark in a comedy fashion, but on the road, it was just annoying.

Reply to
DanTXD

In which case, you need to read the advice given to the OP.

Reply to
SteveH

We're not seriously arguing that the Sei/Cinq Sporting isn't slow are we? 'Cos lets face it, if its fast, then so is Dervy's Ka, and i for one am NEVER going to say that, unless he gets a 2.0 ZVH Turbo in there ;)

Reply to
DanTXD

Ultimately, they may be deemed to be 'slow', but they certainly don't feel it if you're driving them in the true Wop style.

Reply to
SteveH

That's ok if you're on the motorway, but in normal driving you're going to run out of road :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Ahh, someone else who hasn't driven one in anger.

Lovely litty rev. happy engine.

Reply to
SteveH

or very safe! i think i'd have a moped over the crappy death trap fiat's seen there ncap test results? :)

Reply to
Vamp

what about the Schumacher special editions?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I've driven one to within an inch of its poor little buzzy life and found it quite amusing.

However, it's hard work trying to keep the bloody things going quickly.

I prefer my current transport - which never goes above 2000 rpm in the daily grind.

Aye, and they pull hilarious handbrake turns, second only to the Ka in that respect.

Reply to
Pete M

Sporting isn't always about outright speed as I'm finding with the Ti :S

Those little Fiats are fun to drive round town and back roads - you can have a *lot* of pretty pure driving enjoyment without breaking the speed limits (just as well as it's not pretty if you crash one). I miss driving the Cinquecento but not the ex who owned it. My friend's modified Lancia Y10 Turbo was a much bigger hoot though and its 1.0 engine did 11MPG :D

Reply to
fishman