Fiesta Zetec-S 54 Plate 1.6 TDCi

Or as Andy said, Ford don't have a good enough gearbox :-) They'll probably start asking someone else to make them for them....

Reply to
DanTXD

The MTX75 would be more than capable.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

But it wont fit. Apparently. (Yes, I thought they were the same size too)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:do1ob3$sgm$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

What's that smell? Hmm yes, the smell of cost cutting. Thought Ford would have been wiser than that after their little Mk2/3 Fiesta, Mk5 Escort phase.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

But there isn't a current 1.8 turbodiesel Fiesta and the earlier one isn't a fair and true comparison.

Also

may do a charge cooler... :0

Reply to
DervMan

I'm struggling to believe that Ford didn't scrub the IB5 for the 1.6 TDCi and use the MTX75... I didn't cite that because I thought to myself, no surely not...

Reply to
DervMan

No, beacause PSA are charging them an arm n a leg for the actual donk, and to price it against the 1.6 petrol Sport they had to keep the iB5!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Ford have a nasty habbit of not fitting proper gear unless it's *really* needed. I mean, you have 2.0 Mondeos running around with rear drums FFS! Even the new Foci have rear drums on the less than 2.0 Ghia models!

The iB5 box saw it's way thru all Mk5 + Escorts unless it was the 130PS XR3i. Even then, it had rear drums. How come the Mondeo had an MTX75 with the 1.6?!

I don't know, I really like Fords, but they piss me off with their cost cutting antics. For that reason, I'm keeping my Corolla til it dies :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

I'm comparing old technology to that of new vehicles. Old TD Fiestas were only 75bhp at their fastest. It's basically a "look how far we've come" comment.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Old TD Fiestas were also only about 950 kilos... :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

And still had a 0-60 of that required to dry paint :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

"Tim (remove obvious)" wrote in message news:do1v88$jma$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

[snip]

Pah. With the MTX75 and full torque it'll be usefully quicker.

Reply to
DervMan

Given that the vast majority of people have to have their rear drum brakes replaced through lack of use rather than wearing out, it's really not a big issue.

The main issue is that drums look bad behind alloys, especially when they start to go rusty. I can live with that. That's fashion dictating use.

This one (waves to newly acquired Accord) has vented front discs and solid rear discs. It won't make any difference to me for 99.99% of my driving. It's also the first machine I've bought myself with discs all around, not that you can tell because of the steel wheels. I had no problems with the brakes when track-daying the Ka (vented disc / drum set up) with the standard Ford set up other than people kept on braking way sooner than I needed to. :-)

The IB5 is a great little gearbox, it just happens to only be rated to something like 130 Nm of torque. It'll go for mile upon mile upon mile with less torque than this. Increase the poke, swap engine, in the case of some engines remove the torque limiter, and you shred drivetrain components. Removing the torque limiter in the 1.7 Puma knocks a second off the 0 - 62 time but it also gives the transmission a finite life time! :-p

As I understand in the previous generation Focus, the 1.4 and 1.6 had the IB5, everything else had a MTX75 or derivative of this. Ford sold loads of

1.6s and produces loads of IB5 transmissions. The MTX75 costs more to make and is supposed to be larger and heavier - would be considered overkill on the smaller engined models.

I'm sorry to tell you that every manufacturer is doing the same. When we had to replace the Ka I wanted a Ford, but couldn't find the right combination Focus or Mondeo for our budget, so after extensive research

*cough* opted for the Honda.

It is very different.

Reply to
DervMan

Heh, not entirely accurate. They only made the TDDi Fiesta for a short time (and I was looking for one, would you believe?) but they weigh around 100 kg more than the Ka (somewhere around 1,020 kg). The extra weight is over the front wheels. Their 0 to 62 mph acceleration time is What Car? tested at

14.3 seconds.

But lacked an intercooler and used the IB5 transmission, which limited their torque output to just over 100 foot pounds as standard. In any case they're slightly quicker than the Fiesta 1.4 TDCi according to my data, but the TDCi is stacks more economical and it's quieter too.

I strongly suspect you'd be hard pressed to tell on the road if the Ka, 1.8 or 1.4 Fiesta had any clear advantage over most roads.

Reply to
DervMan

By "Old" he's referring to the Mk5 (or Mk4.5 if you're DervMan) shape - V reg to around 52 reg.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Argh!

Reply to
SteveH

Don't they rust around the filler cap ;-)?

Reply to
DanTXD

That was the Mk3.5 you muppet!

Reply to
SteveH

I think you'll find there is no 3.5.... ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Mine didn't. Haven't heard of them doing so....

Reply to
AstraVanMan