Fleet quandary - what to keep, what to sell...

205 isn't as heavy as some, and really low boost by default, something like 6psi in 1st and 2nd, 8psi after that.

I turned mine upto 11 in the 185 and it handled it nicely. The charge cooler in the 205 can handle a lot better higher boost levels without heatsoak and detonation. The DC5 would have kept up on the straight, but throw in some twists and things would have changed, seriously changed.

Reply to
Elder

Ah, here's a man who doesn't know his DC5s ;-) Seriously, I'd put my money on the teg all things been equal... Mind you, it does cost over £10k so it's a bit of an unfair comparison heh.

Reply to
Iridium

I reckon some of the people who've owned cars I've had in the past have believed in negligent running costs :D. Neglible is that word you're looking for.

And I think you're bloody cruel suggesting a Berlingo as day to day transport.

Reply to
Doki

I'm tempted to sell almost everything :) (the RX-7 convertible stays either way, as it's taken far too much time and money to get it into the condition I wanted it to be).

Hmmm.

Buying a new car for me at the moment is fairly pointless as I can't plan further ahead than about 12 months for various reasons. Buying a new car based on this - even one as cheap as a Berlingo - would be flushing money down the toilet.

While I understand where you're coming from, the budget of 3k +/- a little is there for a reason - I can afford to lose most of that, but I can't really afford to throw away the depreciation on something like a Berlingo /and/ buy a Lotus as well.

I dunno, I *could* do this with the RX-7 I've got, but the problem with that is that I'd want something with less power to learn. And hopefully less fuel consumption as well. 7-8mpg on the track doesn't really appeal that much. And while the FD RX-7 is bigger than an elise, it's quite light for its size so we're looking at fairly similar power/weight ratios here....

Negligent I can do :D. Seriously, *if* I knew how the next 12 month work out then I can see a lot of merit in your suggestion but unfortunately it's just not working with the kind of uncertainty I'm currently dealing with.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@unixconsult.co.uk says... =20

OK: buy a Berlingo of 4 years old then. They cost (here in Belgium)=20 around 2.5 kUPD, will have around 150 kmiles and stay running forever.=20 The little van is popular with courrier firms and their engine lasts for=20 more than 250 kmiles.

The Elise on track uses less than 12 l/100 km (can't be bothered to do=20 the math) but it is build for the track with good suspension, never=20 fading brakes (it weighs only 700 kg) and with 110-140 HP out of a=20 super-reliable Rover engine.

Sorry: RX-7 and Elise do not compare, not on the track nor elsewhere.

Key word is not "power/weight-ratio" but "weight=3D 700 kg". This reflects= =20 enormously on roadholding, braking and confidence. While the Rover 1.8=20 k-series is no fire-cracker, topspeed is not high (=B1210 kph) so all the= =20 fun is in corners.

With all my other cars a day at the track results in (at least) new rear=20 tires, at least 1 set of brakepads. The Elise sits after 5 track-sorties=20 on its orginal rubber and without the pads changed. =20

Depreciation on a 2.5 kUPD little van in 1 year? 500 UKP

Depreciation on a Lotus Elise S1 in 1 year? Nothing: in 2007 a Lotus=20 ELise S1 (year 1998) sells higher than what the car orginally costed.=20 Which is the reason why I bought mine in the UK.

Thaught of doing the steering conversion but got quickly used to the UK- version.

Tom De Moor=20

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I use a Berlingo in Czech sometimes. It's actually pretty good day to day transport.

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds like a plan, that...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

He's back off holiday next week - I'll have a word.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Ditto, I used to use a 1.9D every day at work. TBH it was quite relaxing to drive and handled quite nicely too.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Ta muchly.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The scoobs are great road cars but just don't drift. I never got any of mine sideways except for the wagon when I put race rubber on it on a wet day. Even then it was boringly predictible. A 200sx would be the weapon of choice.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston