Ford shelves plan to sell off Jaguar and Land-Rover

Ford is drawing back from plans to put Jaguar and Land-Rover up for sale after announcing that it would sell Aston Martin, the famous British sports car maker, last week.

Seems to me like Aston is likely to have far more interested parties bidding than Jag would...

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Wahey - let's hope it goes to proton.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I'd actually worry about Aston being sold off - the R&D at AM is so closely linked to the R&D at Jaguar there's a risk AM could disappear completely if sold off.

Alternatively, we could just end up with Aston producing VAG parts-bin specials.....

Reply to
SteveH

Like what happened to Bugatti you mean? :)

Reply to
Tom Robinson

Naah, just think who's not got a supercar or GT business. D-C have the Mclaren, VAG have Bugatti and Lamborghini, Ford have erm.. Ford / Shelby / Jaguar, GM have Chevrolet (noooo not daewoo), so I reckon BMW have to be a candidate. They've got the R&D and the parts bin to make serious 8, 10 and

12 cylinder megacars.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Surely BMW could use their own branding on 'em?

Anyway, the last thing we need is 6-series running gear in pretty, 'British' clothes.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1hl3zon.idjj7v63egagN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Oh I dunno, a reliable Aston would be nice, but on the other hand it would just be another "kitcar" built by a major manufacturer pretending that the badge they just bought was the same as the original.

Reply to
Tunku

Why? What's wrong with 6 series running gear? 650 has a cracking V8 and smooth autobox, M6 goes like stink.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because it would drive like a Kraut sportscar, which isn't what an Aston should be like at all.

Reply to
SteveH

Why not? Might even do well at LeMans (although they'll go and put a TDi in it...)

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My worry is that they'll become nothing more than parts-bin specials - OK, they are to an extent at the moment, but the shared R&D with Jag at least means they're fairly well distanced from the Ford brand.

If you look at Bentley, then you can see they're nothing more than posh VWs these days - you can even see the same VAG signature lines creeping into the styling.

Reply to
SteveH

yep, and the current XK shares no looks with the DB range?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, yes, but I'd prefer than than to have something that's been Bangalised.

Reply to
SteveH

Oh I don't know, the new 3 coupe, Z4, 6 series all look the business.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ewww, imagine that. The DB10 being available with soft touch grab handles and a 1.9 TDi lump.

The Ford version will always be better.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:jpJKg.113137$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

I know there's a lot of talk about 'soft touch' plastics and how important they are. Can someone explain to me what the f*ck they are?

Reply to
DanTXD

'Should have gone to SpecSavers'

Reply to
SteveH

What a load of bollocks.

There is a small British heritage todling around with BMW engines, in fact the whole business is BMW-owned.

But of course the RR Phantom is not a real Rolls-Royce and drives like a Kraut supercar...

The fact is that Aston Martin extends the BMW-range quite well and that the make doesn't compete with the rest of the group. AM has just completed a mayor overhaul and modernisation on its plant and models, doesn't have "aged" models.

Leaves the fact that BMW since their infamous Rover dance makes continuously a pretty profit on the cars, that they have the technology and brainpower (look how bad BWM goes in Formula 1 compared to the seasoned Williams squad). Their partsbin allows to make some handy and invisible costsavings at AM, not to mention that AM is actual profittable and has some very good selling models (the DBS has a delivery time over 3 years).

AM doesn't need restructuring not uplifting like Rover and AM-personel will be far easier to manage than Rover's because their standards of work are equal, maybe higher than BMW's.

Coming back to the Kraut influence: been in some RR's, old and new. The Phantom is "quite" superior to the former models. Understand "quite" in the same meaning as a hell of a lot.

But please tell the group: what is your exact experiance with Kraut and British sportcars in the league of Aston Martin, Porsche 911 Turbo, BWM 6 /8 series, Merc SL of CL? Oh yes: you're heavily into Italian sportscars: Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini... Of the stated cars: ever been in one?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

AFAICS it's a sort of rubbery coating on plastic door grab handles etc. that flakes off after a couple of years. Or at least it does in a mate's Polo.

Reply to
Doki

VW loses money and have their problems to sort going from overproduction, non- selling models (Phaeton) to age-ing plants and statesupervision.

And of course... an Aston Martin with a 5l V10 TDI which can actually drive non-stop for Brussels to the Riviera: what an awfull thought!

But I quess BMW is more in the running for AM than VW: they make big profits, have the knowledge and since BMW owns Rolls-Royce it is far better than it has been.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor