FS: Alfa 156 TSpark

Quite possibly. The transmission is a mix of elastic bands and warp drive conduits for all I know... ;-)

LOL!

Driven in my usual manner* it was fairly easy to see 55 to the gallon. That being the US gallon though, so that's 66 mpg in Imperial units or ~4.3 l /

100km for any of our European readers.

Driven in keeping with Northern Californian traffic**, that dropped to ~51 /

52 to the gallon.

My father-in-law's HSD Prius (current generation) now has ~125K on it and he'll be wanting a third set of tires*** soon. His commute is ~50 miles each way and most of it on the freeway. Has been known to see >65 to the gallon over tanks of gas***. Other than the typical frequent oil changes seen in California, plus insurance, he has spent nothing on the car. Silly cheap commuter hack, then.

The new Prius - out next year - will probably be incrementally more efficient than the HSD model in everyday use, as this was more economical than the previous model.

*Vmax ~60, freeway, some urban stuff, two up plus luggage. **At the speed limit, squirting up to urban speeds rather than letting it creep to it on the electric motor. ****[sic] heh.
Reply to
DervMan

It's some bizarre sun and planet system that will balance petrol, electric, driving the wheels and charging the batteries.

Reply to
SteveH

I've never seen a modern alfa to have recorded half a million miles...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

There are many 164s rack up that kind of mileage.

Reply to
SteveH

"There are many 164s" is a lie in itself without bothering reading any further ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Nor yet the dictionary entry under "hyperbole".

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd love another 164.

Reply to
Pete M

Having said that, I'd actually quite like a nice spec 156, but it would have to have MOMO leather.

Reply to
Pete M

Cumulatively, maybe.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

is that an overarm technique?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Another 164 what?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

As used by that Indian boler.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And a V6. None of this "Ah the 2.0 has balance and blah blah". That may be true, however, it doesn't have the Alfa V6 sound - which is one of the finest sounds not just in the motoring world but in the world full stop. More importantly as well, the V6 has more power, and more torque and if you end up with a GTA then you'd get respectable performance figures as well :-) But the 147 GTA is better...

Reply to
DanB

The V6 is great, right up until the first bend.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The V6 sounds glorious, but the TSpark is one of the nicest sounding inline 4s you can buy, too. And yes, the TSpark is definitely the better car to drive when you're pressing on.

Reply to
SteveH

According to parkers, the V6 is 50kg heavier at the same spec. The "Balance" isn't going to be ruined by 50kg up front, what they mean is that the already comprimised handling inflicted by being front drive and based on a Fiat hatchback is bollocksed completely by giving it 192bhp and no way of controlling it.

GTA is the way forward, 3.2l and LSD (you'll need it to get through the repair bills).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes, it is. Because the Sportwagon, with more weight at the rear, is a better balanced car than the Saloon in both 4 and 6 pot forms.

Utter s**te. The only link between a 156 and any Fiat is the middle pressings of the floor and engine blocks.

The 156 had double wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension way before Ford decided it was worth screaming from the rooftops that they'd given one of their cars properly designed suspension.....

GTA with Q2 is definitely the way to do it. Q2 can be done for about 500 quid - unfortunately you can't fit Q2 to Sillyspeeds, though.

Reply to
SteveH

that's the one

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which is the point. It's like saying the E200 is better than the E63 - the reality is that you approach the bend faster and have to slow down more to make it round. If money and running costs aren't an option I don't understand why anyone buys the small engine variants.

Always strikes me as people make an excuse for the smaller engine to be better - it's not, not in any car I can think of can the lower power variants be better than the higher ones.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It's a front engine, front drive, front gearbox car based on a fiat shopping trolley, no getting away from the fact that it's no more than a dressed up

155 (not a bad thing) with fancy suspension - the engine is still in the same place. Unless you move the cab backwards and shift the engine back it's never gonna have the right balance, for that you need a proper car, like a C class, or a 3 series, and no one ever claims they're better with the smallest engines in them.

Where's the battery out of interest? if it's up front would moving it to the rear help?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp