Fuel Economy Official Figures

Low to mid 40s, indicated, was the usual over a normal week of work.

Up in the mountains, mid to high 30s was usual.

There is no way a big, 2lt turbo diesel is doing 60mpg unless it's sat at a constant 50-60mph on the motorway.

Reply to
SteveH

Depends on how crap you are. If you can drive round corners quickly, which most people seem incapable of IME, and plan properly you can avoid the squirt, slam on, squirt, slam on style which wallops fuel but still retain a speed high enough to make the tyres complain on cornering, using engine braking where needed instead of caning the anchors.

Reply to
Conor

We came to the conclusion, you included, that I'd managed just over

58MPG on a run from YO255EZ to HU9 3RL.

On a trip to France and back with wife, 2 kids and a boot crammed with luggage I managed 55MPG and that included the 130KPH runs in France as well as all the pottering about.

If the official combined figure is 48MPG, I think that's piss poor TBH. Even 10% above that I think is piss poor.

Reply to
Conor

You can't do maths.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Sorry, my bad. It was the "average" or "combined" or whatever it is they list which showed 47MPG. Either way, it's the figure they produce. I merely posted 56MPH because that's what they used to use but the journey I did the testing on was from YO255EZ to HU9 3RL

Reply to
Conor

Well... it'll be possible on A-roads with a maximum cruising speed in the mid 50s, but it's *bloody* difficult and requires lots of concentration and ideally nobody behind to annoy... *cough*

Reply to
DervMan

To a very small degree, yes.

Except your theory falls over when it comes to higher speed cornering, since this scrubs off a lot of speed, which has to be replaced and that means burning more fuel.

Gentler turn-in will reduce the initial scrub of speed, but if you're going around a given corner at a given speed, it doesn't matter how proficient the driver is or otherwise, the cornering load and the frictional losses remain the same. I don't want to hazard a guess as the difference a gentle turn in makes versus piling in the steering lock and I have never attempted to measure it either.

Reply to
DervMan

48.7? That being the Combined Cycle, a weighted average of the Urban and Extra Urban? All calculated based on CO2 emissions on a rolling road and "adjusted for factors" (presumably aerodynamics, mass) as I understand.

My last three machines have end to end averaged ~110% of the Combined Cycle figure. This isn't just the commute mileage or intra-tank figures, but includes all the awful-for-economy commutes through the middle of Leeds or when Charlie insists on being driven into the centre of Manchester, or wherever. Average speeds for the two Saabs, again end to end, are 37.8 and

37.6 mph, showing that I'm most certainly not caning it... ;)
Reply to
DervMan

Erm, they never used constant 56mph figures (well, probably 62mph as that's equal to 100kph) to illustrate the average fuel consumption of anything. They used to commonly do constant 100kph/56mph, constant 120kph/75mph, and urban cycle, and possibly some sort of combined figure. My point was that a realistic combined figure, IME, has generally been mid-way between the 75mph and urban figures. I guess official combined figures probably aren't a million miles from that.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Exactly.

Reply to
Conor

Yes... the UK's old data was "Urban Cycle", Constant 56 and Constant 75. The Combined was 50% Urban Cycle, 25% Constant 56 and 25% Constant 75.

Indeedy...

Yes. They're some sort of weighted modified average.

Reply to
DervMan

That, and you'd still only have to be doing like, 55-60mph to get anywhere near 60mpg, so it's not really a surprise that corners on A-roads can often be taken without slowing down, or whilst engine braking them gently accelerating back to 56mph or whatever. That's not really how I'd define caining either to be honest... Caining would require quite heavy (assuming you're not really going for some kind've time record down a road or something...) braking so the car could get round the corner, and then as we've shifted down a couple of gears the tyres are making sounds as you power through/out of the bend and blast down the next straight.

The first week of owning the R27 Clio had a lot of 'Oh, I could've done that

20mph faster" moments, as it just had so much more grip and was that much more planted than anything I'd driven in anger. Which to remain true to the thread includes my parents 2002 Mondeo V6 :-) Ghia X spec, feels a bit like a boat when pushed round the bends, although does hang on admirably.

Erm, yea, that's what I was about to say :-)

Reply to
DanB

Yup. Hooning, gooning, caning, driving the nuts off it - not the same as semi-hypermiling it. Nowhere close.

As you'd expect though. Ghia-X is the luxury model.

Say Elvington isn't too far from a few people who frequent this newgroup...

Reply to
DervMan

Think whatever you want, I know how I drive and still get over 55MPG.

Reply to
Conor

Not when 'making progress' in a Mondeo, you don't.

HTH

Reply to
JackH

Unless you're sat in the passenger seat at the time, you have no basis on which to comment.

Reply to
Conor

I don't, having owned more TDs than you've had hot dinners, mapped or otherwise, need to be in the passenger seat to know when someone is making claims that appear to be stretching the truth a little.

You'd be hard pressed to get near to 60mpg in a Mondeo diesel when taking it well easy, never mind when you're pushing on.

Reply to
JackH

Just re-inserted the rest of that paragraph.

Yup. Whilst admittedly driving steadily and aiming for economy rather than caining it, Dervy has done well indeed. 110% of the combined figure would be about 53mpg in a Mondeo TDCi 130 - but that's close enough :-)

Reply to
DanB

Seconded. Right about now Conor, you're making claims that cannot be substantiated and don't correlate with other peoples' experiences. How else do think we're going to react?

Reply to
DervMan

The fuel computer on my Fabia 1.4 TDI once claimed on a particularly well nursed run round the coast, and with a cheapie tuning box in place, to have averaged 93mpg or thereabouts. :-D

There's no way on earth it had done that - apart from having an optimistic fuel computer at the best of times, the cheapie tuning box made it even more innaccurate.

Don't get me wrong... I've managed some pretty impressive MPG figures in the past from various cars.

But they've been driven accordingly, i.e: gentle acceleration up to speed and feathering the throttle constantly.

My best is still from the first Mk4 Golf Estate I had - a 90bhp non PD TDI.

58mpg on an 80ish motorway cruise from here up to Birmingham, and then a 55ish cruising from there along A roads down to the Welsh coast.

I was well impressed given it was fully laden with a family of four, all their luggage for the week and a bonnet for an MG ZR of all things, for the first leg up to Birmingham. :-D

I have to say, that particular car was probably the best combination of economy / grunt I've had to date, and the old man *still* won't sell it back to me, the tight old f***er. lol

This was made all the worse by me borrowing it a few weeks back for a couple of days and observing how little fuel it used compared to the Passat.

None of the PD engined VW have really got that close to that Golf economy wise bar the Passat when I nursed it back from the West Country earlier this year, and managed 53mpg.

Reply to
JackH