FW: Pug 207 GTi

Just got the below on the Auto Express mailout. One thing I don't get - wasn't the 206 GTi the natural successor to the 205 GTi? Surely even if some of the lesser models weren't *that* good, I thought the 206GTI-180 was supposed to be ok? No? Or just more marketing bollocks to get people to buy the latest model? Probably.

This Week's Auto Express This week the mag unveils the forthcoming Peugeot 207 GTi, the French company's natural successor to the brilliant Eighties' hot hatch, the 205 GTi. Set to be announced at the Paris Motor Show in 2006, the turbocharged

207 GTi will produce in excess of 180bhp to out-muscle the current crop of hot hatchbacks. Cost is expected to be £15,500. Also this week, TV expert Mike Brewer picks his fantasy motoring fleet, if money was no object - 14 pages of mould-breaking, emotion-stirring designs. On sale now.
Peugeot's GTi blasts back! A legend is returning. For many performance fans, Peugeot has never produced a worthy successor to its brilliant Eighties' hot hatch, the 205 GTi. But as this week's magazine's pictures show, the new 207 GTi is set to be just that.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I got that too. Just wondered myself which Twonk wrote that? Brewer or Rutherford.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

DanTXD

"Dan in becoming to Peugeots what SteveH is to Italian cars shocker"

Reply to
AstraVanMan

er.... Successor - yes. Spiritual successor - probably not. Apparently they just felt flat, unexciting and uninvolving. Even with 180bhp, it didn't feel exciting to drive.

In fact, the 306GTi was apparently regarded as the 'bigger brother/ successor' to the 205 with the added bonus that they didn't (usually) fall apart when you shut the door.

It'd be good to have a decent pug hot hatch - they've kind of lost the plot in recent years...

Nick

Reply to
NickD

I found it exciting when i drove it :) Lots, and lots, and lots of grip - and revs wonderfully.

Reply to
DanTXD

In news:ERihf.3692$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Thing is, the 205 GTi 1.9 was probably the sharpest, most involving, least forgiving and most fun hot hatch of all time.

They can't make cars that are that much fun anymore, too many muppets weaned on TC / ABS / ESP etc would shove themselves through walls / hedges etc at high speed.

The 205 GTi was raw, quick and rattly but was a great car to drive, whereas the muppets nowadays want AC, TC, ESP, ABS, electric mirrors / windows / seats, auto dimming mirrors, rain sensing wipers, and all the other s**te you don't need in order to go fast. They want wall to wall airbags, seatbelt pretensioners, "soft touch" dashboards, sat nav etc which all means that new "hot" hatches need 180+ bhp to be as quick as a 130 bhp 205 just due to the sheer bloody weight of the new ones.

If they tried to make a new 205 GTi - it'd be declared "Dangerous and illegal".

Reply to
Pete M

I feel hard done by - i don't have the TC, ESP or auto dimming mirror. Best change pronto.

Reply to
DanTXD

Yea, but think about what you had before...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

It is - that's the problem, it's just "ok".

In excess of 180bhp ? It'll need a decent wedge of power more than that to be of any interest.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Sounds like a Cinquecento Sporting to me.

I liked the 306 GTi-6 myself. Couldn't live with one, though. Needed every single gear every single drive, had the turning circle of an oil tanker, looked too much like the rest of the range (this did have its advantages though), oh and Peugeot didn't turbocharge it either.

Reply to
DervMan

Sounds like they're playing catch-up though.

LOL. Yes, as the 106, the 206, the 306 were.

Reply to
DervMan

Spot on. Absolutely spot on there.

It would be Darwin all over again.

That and the fundamental change in Peugeot chassis engineering.

205: understeer under load, oversteer off the power, spin on the brakes. :) 106: understeer under load, oversteer off the power, near spin on the brakes. 206: understeer under load, understeer off the power, oversteer on the brakes. 306: understeer under load, oversteer off the power, near spin on the brakes.

Okay slight exaggeration. The 205 whispers "pussy" when you tackle a road or bend at 90%. It shouts at you as you run the engine up through the gears, whines and rattles and pesters you to give it that extra. When you go over the limits it shuts up mind you. :)

Far too much modern stuff as electronics. Now I also admire electronics for what they do... but they can be a kill joy.

Mind you if one has cut their teeth in a 205 GTI over winter, handling any condition in an electronic'd up 206 will be a walk in the park.

Yes and I'd have one.

Reply to
DervMan

To be fair, the 106 wasn't too far away.

Reply to
DanTXD

I had a *big* oversteer turn into a graceful 4 wheel drift this morning. Good, it was.

The less said about getting stuck half way up a hill, the better, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm. Yes, it was, not as snappy-oh-my-gosh as the 205, but whereas the

1.6i-16 in the 106 is a good enough engine, the 1.9i-8 in the 205 could conquer nations.
Reply to
DervMan

I'm gonna be honest with you - i've never tried, 3rd is over 60mph - I fear attempting to get sideways on public roads at that speed. Find me somewhere with nothing to hit and i'll give it a shot tho :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Hmmm yea maybe - but i'd say the revtastic 16v was better suited to a hot hatch. Just my view like :)

Reply to
DanTXD

40 in third?

Track day?

Elvington?

Reply to
DervMan

Kinda. Both are good engines, but with the 1.9i-8 you have both.

Reply to
DervMan