Gearbox is leaking oil around the seals. any temp fix???

Dear all

The manual box on my 206gti is leaking a small quantity of gearbox oil, around 0.5lts in total as only 1.5lt is left in the box. I know this from a gearbox oil change I just had recently as the drained out oil was short.

The leak is from around the edges and there are no gaskets or seals used on this box. The only way I can fix it is to remove the box and apply new sealing grease (proper term?) and ensure that both surfaces mate cleanly. However, this is pretty costly as I cannot do the job myself and I would prefer to get it fixed when I have my clutch changed.

So I would like to ask are there any temp fixes for me so that I can refill with 2lts of oil and have no leaks? Could I apply grease around the seal edges to stop the slow leak, enough to stop it? Lastly, I spoke to the garage and they said no damage will be caused as the leak is at a high point in the gearbox..true?

Many thanks people!

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I'm not sure grease would work, since the gearbox can become quite warm, but if you can clean the area around the joint (i.e. remove all traces of oil - I suggest using a petrol soaked rag) then you can probably apply some silicone sealant, which is readily available from all DIY stores.

No idea, sorry.

Good luck.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Kirby

Reply to
Brian Su

How many miles did it take to lose 0.5L of oil? Do you get oil drips on the road/driveway?

Peter Hill

You used to be able to get a stick that you could rub against the leaking joint and it would work it's way into the joint sealing it. Haven't seen them on sale recently but I'm sure some motor factors might still sell them. Rubbing a candle into the joint might also have the same effect but I'm not sure how candle wax would react to gearbox oil.

Reply to
Homer

you can purchse stuff that revitalises seals n stuff.

Reply to
Theo

Thanks dude!

Anyone got a name for this stuff that can help?

It loses the 0.5lts over a 2 weeks or so then it just stops.

I would like to know who having 1.5lt in the box instead of 2lt damage my gearbox???

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
Jim