Glutton for punishment

My latest Dedra has a problem since I drove it back from the place I bought it (about 35 miles)

It failed the MOT on emissions (1700 HC) and hunts up and down on idle quite badly. It also stalls very easily. MOT tester stalled it about 15 times!

Seems to be some hazy emission coming from the exhaust, but not from cold, only after the engine's warmed up or has been revved.

Driving it is fine, it pulls very well throughout the rev range - the problem only occurs on idle or at low manouvring revs.

Last thing I expect to go wrong on these is the engine !!

Anybody got any ideas? Burgerman?

Reply to
Fishman19

hazy emission is normally oil. And if it's happening "after the engine's warmed up or has been revved" then that generally means bad things :)

Reply to
Nom

Worn turbo seals?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Okay but would this cause the crappy idle and stalling?

Reply to
Fishman19

Do you get boost? Turbo seized if not and pissing oil into the exhaust.

Or worn Turbo seals = oil and vacuum leak = stalling/idle

Matt

Reply to
**-**

"**-**" wrote

Yep there is boost and car pulls very well indeed above idle speeds if you manage not to stall it getting there!

I didn't realise a shot turbo could cause a vaccuum problem.

I must have buggered it on the drive to the lockup (from Evesham to Coventry) because it seemed fine until now :( There are these two sets of traffic lights in Coventry and you need a pretty quick car to get between them before the second set goes red. The dedra just about makes it ;)

Reply to
Fishman19

In article , "Fishman19" spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nope, but a vac leak could expecially, to distributor advance and the like, so it would make your timing out etc.

Silly things like a none tight fitting fuel or oil cap have been know to cause idle probs on a certain brand of car that me and Matt are familiar with.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Doesn't matter. Under load, you've got plenty of fuel to burn, so it doesn't matter if there's oil in there. Under idle, you've got bugger all fuel - so a bit of oil will mess the mixture right up. Think about it !

Depends how much it's leaking !

These things are a gradual process - you can't instantly bugger a Turbo (unless you did something stupid like drive on boost with a cold engine).

Reply to
Nom

Depends how much oil is leaking in ! Clearly if there's a fair bit, then it's gonna run like shit - it's not a Diesel :)

Reply to
Nom