Goddammit

Mate's just got a 4 door Scooby 54 plate WRX, paid 15K for it. I'm still waiting delivery on a octa vRS for 13K - don't really want to know the answer .. but .. has he got a miles better car for 2K?

Reply to
Johnny

Depends if you like the image of the Suburu then it would have been a better choice, 4x4 faster etc.

Build quality is a bit suspect imo and cheap plastic everywhere.

The octavia is a different type of car, its more executive better quality but since they were taken over by VW the reliability has gone up and the build quality is almost on par with VW.

If your having 2nd thoughts, perhaps the skoda was not the car for you in the first place, you can always cancel your order :)

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

I'm not having second thoughts, to be honest I can't wait, I really don't want the scooby image and I made my choice because i like the vRS. That hasn't changed. TBH I just wish the vRS had 4WD. I'm not regretting it at all just thought I'd got a real bargain and wondered how much more of a car the WRX is for 2K more. Never driven a Scoob and def don't like the wideboy racer, drug dealer image.

Reply to
Johnny

He's got a faster car, that's not the same as better...

Reply to
Lordy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ron.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nope, reliability has stayed the same, build quality has improved, and they have access to more modern materials, but the reliability was always better.

Here's a hint. If you have an older car with Lucas electrics that fail regularly, look arround old Skodas for PAL parts. PAL licensed production of Lucas components exclusively for used on CZ cars, and for distribution behind the former Iron Curtain.

They also used typical CZ engineering to make sure they worked. It's quite common to find 20 year old bulbs and relays and switches still in use, even though they are a Lucas design, and Lucas didn't get named the price of darkness for nothing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Scoobs are good drivers cars, but not much in the way of comfort/luxury for everyday cars. They are road going race cars, while the vRS is luxury/sports road car based on a good Chassis.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

lardy (4x4 gubbins etc) Scooby once you get moving.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I was in a new (well, an 03 plate) Octavia the other day, and it wasn't exactly luxury...fair enough the Impreza interior is a little tacky, but its not another world from the Octavia...

Also, the Impreza will out handle and out drive the vRS by a fair bit, and the new ones don't really have an image problem, and Skoda's don't exactly have an awesome image yet :) And surely the image isn't that important anyway when you're buying something like this that actually has resonable performance.

Reply to
DanTXD

Been looking at Jabbasport mods, their website has loads of info and pictures that don't tell me very much - what's the score with the ~350bhp mod. It mentions no internal engine mods needed, I'd have thought 350 from an unmodified 1.8 would be well into the danger zone for reliability.

Reply to
Johnny

:D that, and the fact I like the look and practicality, is why I went for one in the end. Horses for courses I guess but everyone likes a bit more power.

Bit of a TWOC magnet though aren't they?

Reply to
Johnny

Specifically for the 225 TT, around 290-300bhp is possible with no engine internal mods, so it should be the same with the Octavia- it involves:

turbo back exhaust with 3" downpipe and sports single cat. twin factory intercoolers replaced by custom full frontal 50% larger single alloy unit. plastic bosch recirc valve replaced by twin piston metal one (that doesnt leak!!) factory convuluted air cleaner to turbo tube replaced with harder silicone one that doesnt suck shut ecu rechip replacement turbo with larger compressor and exhuast housings.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SdanPontAherMun.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You might be surprised, I bet the Impreza depreciates far faster than an Octavia vRS.

What do you think has stopped me from driving newer Skodas?

They hold their prices too well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'll vouch for that - looked at various year old vRS with between 7 - 20K on the clock and it just wasn't worth it, better to buy new. I've seen second hand ones from dealers with miles on going for more than I'm paying brand new !?!

Reply to
Johnny

Just received some info from Jabba today. Stage 1 290-300bhp Stage 2 340-350bhp

stage 2 basically involves new turbo, pipework and gaskets, new exhaust manifold - down pipe and link pipe, Uprated injectors and fuel pump. What puzzles me slightly is that performance cat & back exhaust are still optional as is an induction kit. Dilema now is whether I null the warranty or not, hmmm.

Reply to
Johnny

It's a Turbo car.

Biggest restriction in the exhaust is the Turbo - doesn't really matter what you do with the rest - so the exhaust is optional.

There is effectively no restriction in the inlet - if it's setup to make

10psi, then the Turbo will flow 10psi - whatever you do to the induction system, it'll still flow 10psi. If it has to work a smidgeon harder to make the flow, then your intake temps will raise a smidgeon - that's the only benefit of more flow.
Reply to
Nom