Golf Deisel 1.9 TDI - Kits for a). improve power from 130BHP to 150BHP b). cruise control(??)

Get me one and some drugs too. I like diesels, and have ever since DI and decent turbos made them perform better. I used to understand the 'I hate diesels' thing in the old IDI and non-turbo days. The XUD started making things bearable (I remember getting surprised by a BX Turbo D once), and the [shudder]Maestro/Montego DI (of all things) was OK too, in a turbo-lag "nothing...nothing..nothing...wheelspin" kind of way. These days about the only limitation is the lack of revs. Most of the lag of older TD engines and complete and utter lack of any torque (and hence power) of a NA IDI diesel are things of the past, fortunatley.

I remember Diesel Car magazine many years ago going on about the flat torque delivery of diesels at the time. At the time, I drove a 1.6D Astravan, and yes, the delivery was flat: f*ck all from tickover to the limiter :-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

TBH there's something to be said for older n/a diesels if the thing they're pulling is light enough. I suppose it depends on the engine too. Shite as they were, the pre-emissions-s**te (circa 94/95) Mk3 Fiesta diesels would go reasonably well if you "relaxed" the fuel governor on them a bit, and the n/a Maestro diesel van I had actually shifted reasonably well, given the lack of turbo or any particularly good headline power figure.

LOL - reminds me of when I had my Astra van (Mk2) - it was a 1.3 petrol (which were quite a decent little engine for the size), but the carb was knackered - got a known decent carb off a mate and I said to him "as long as there's no real flat spots that'll do me". He came back with "Pete, it's a

1.3 Astra, there's one great big flat spot from idle up to 6000rpm".
Reply to
AstraVanMan

Chris Bartram ( snipped-for-privacy@delete-me.piglet-net.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I was thinking particularly of Dervy's liking of filling the damn things up...

Reply to
Adrian

Actually, that 1.3 wasn't bad for a 8V 1.3 NA Carb engine, at the time.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

You do have a point. Hopefully it's the relative lack of fill-ups he likes, but who knows?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Nah - he'd get several more mpg were it not for his habit of deliberately spilling diesel all over himself when he fills up :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

And a greater usable rev range than any deisel turbo...

Reply to
Burgerman

True, but less power, torque, and MPG than most. In fact, it tended to be thirsty (for me at least), as it *needed* the rev range. It was a good engine though, and better than all of the 'ordinary' diesels that were around then.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Not to mention that the govermnent subsidy only applies to a small number of brand new vehicles and not retro-fitted conversions on s**te old cars.

Reply to
SteveH

People who don't get a state-subsidised mongvan.

Reply to
SteveH

Who wants a s**te old car?

Reply to
Burgerman

I'm 12 miles from Cardiff, other than the useless place in the village that sells LPG [1] I'd have to go into Cardiff or Newport for it. So that means no option of getting an LPG converted Passat T-FSI when I change my car.....

[1] They're not a filling station - they sell bottled gas, which means they only open 9-5 weekdays and not at all over weekends.
Reply to
SteveH

Christ, even round here there is places to get it these days. I can think of 3 within 10 miles of my house!

Reply to
Iridium

Burgerman ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Chris Bartram ( snipped-for-privacy@delete-me.piglet-net.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not a *huge* issue for me - but how much LPG tank space would I need to replicate the 85-90 litre petrol tank's range...?

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmm, I reckon 110-120 litres.

Reply to
SteveH

Stoppit - you're supposed to be cutting down.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Jealous are we? I have met plenty of pathetic people like you over the years.

As it happens my income is my business and theres plenty of it and absolutely none of it is given to me by the government. You have no need to worry about the pittance you probably pay in tax going towards my nice new cash paid for van. Most likely its my tax money subsidising your kids/life etc. Christ I cant even be bothered to sell the old van yet! I will when I can and get time but its not a money thing. And its why I already have a fancy set of wheels to fit sat here waiting to fit to my paid for new one... Maybe if you knew a thing or two, or had anything of any real value in your head you could import 30k vehicles cash too... But I do get paid anyway for what I know by people that dont on an ongoing basis... Its called prior financial planning.

Reply to
Burgerman

He shoots...... he scores.

Congratulations, you have won and entry into this month's 'bite of the month' competition.

Still, I seem to have touched a raw nerve there. Which is a bonus.

Reply to
SteveH

How is that even an issue? You do enough mileage and travel far enough away that finding an lpg garage on your route shouldn't even be an issue.

Reply to
James Grabowski