Golf Mark IV TD.....

Is the 150bhp version just a chipped version of the 130 is is there more to it than that?

T raymond

Reply to
T_Raymond

Different turbo , injectors and intercooler

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

IIRC the 150 TDI is a PD engine, the others aren't. JackH is usually your man around here for TDI trivia.

Reply to
Timo on tour

115 / 130 are also PD engines.
Reply to
slider

They are both PD engines, as were the 100 and 115bhp. The 90 and 110bhp versions of the 1.9 were the last ones that weren't = PDs

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

In fact, the 90/110 are the only 1.9 VAG TDIs that aren't PD.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes , you're right :0)

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Yup. *sighs* I remember when VW introduced te 1.9 TDI into the mark three Golf. It was claimed to be something of a revelation after the previous (and ongoing) indirect injection 1.9 TD. Citroen, Peugeot looked across at the VW dealers, shrugged their shoulders, and continued selling the 306 DTurbo / ZX Volcane.

Sure, the TDI 90 was noticeably more economical... and went better under

2,200 rpm...
Reply to
DervMan

Cheers, It looks like I might be looking at a 130 on Saturday, anything to look out for? any experiences with this particular engine on a daily commute?

Cheers,

T_raymond

Reply to
T_Raymond

The mkIV range in general has LOADS of problems. Not sure of any specific ones on the TDI. I know special oil HAS to be used on the PD and some 150's have had serious camshaft problems. Not sure if this is 150 specific though.

Common mk 4 problems.

Doors dropping on 3 door models. Rear wash wipe problems Front wiper linkage seizing Door locking module problems Plastic window regulator clips breaking - means glass just falls down into the door Engine coolant temp sensor prone to failing Fan problem with cars with climate control Rear callipers seizing

Before buying I would try and get the car scanned with VAGCOM before handing over the cash. This will highlight and serious problems.

Reply to
slider

See previous "Is this worth a punt" thread.

Zimmy

Also add to this list:

Failing clutches and DMF's on higher powered varients. Gearbox diffs breaking up due to the glue holding them together. PWM controlled a/c compressors packing up. Front wiper motors either wont switch off , or the linkage disintegrating or both.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Wheel arch liners falling out ABS looms failing (The MkV does this as well) Synchro failing regularly on even slightly hard driven 6 speed ones Dashboard displays going awol PAS pumps going on the fritz

It's a good job VWs build quality is this high because Ford could never get away with this many faults on a mainstream car.

Golfs do have half decent cupholders though.

Reply to
Pete M

Half decent meaning that one of the two works in a decent fashion, like it does in mine?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I spoke too soon!

I've known a few with sticky flaps (oo-er!) but they've been ok in the ones I've experienced.

Mk4 Golf cupholders are much better than the attempted ones in Mk1 Focii.

Reply to
Pete M

I diagnosed a faulty MAF (with VAGCOM) on my V6 4mo and replaced that. I also had to replace 2 of the 4 lambda sensors as well.

Reply to
slider

Well so much for German reliability, I'll take a look, but being that I needed something reliable, I may think about returning to the Volvo fold instead!

T Raymond

Reply to
T_Raymond

Workmate of mine bought an 03 TDI 100bhp 3 years ago and has since put about

70,000 miles on it. It has needed back and front brake discs and a set of tyres in that time. Other than that, a recent A/C regas - perfectly acceptable in that timescale - is all it's had.

It continues to do 50mpg and has needed nothing other than the above.

I think the thousands of people quitely getting on with it see no need to log onto the internet and tell the whole world about it. Those with a bad experience possibly feel the need to vent rather more.

He paid 7 grand in September 2006. It's easily comparable to the loads of others out there for around 4 grand. Not that he's selling.

If he were to sell it, I reckon that priced correctly, he would have to beat the savvy punters off with a stick.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

*nods in agreement*

Although I'd not be one of them - the thought of running a Flog as a daily driver makes me feel a little bit sick - that's not to say it wouldn't work.

Reply to
DervMan

Think of the prestige you'd get though. Quality German motor, reasonably reliable cupholders, STD and an armrest.

You'd be the envy of the Little Chef in one of those.

Reply to
Pete M