Got knobbled speeding

Bah, got snapped by a mobile police camera van doing 94 on a 70mph dual carriageway.. I'm sure there are better uses of police time than nabbing ppl at a low-traffic time of the day on a long straight dualc. Anyway, I gather you usually have to be doing at least 30mph over the limit to get your license snatched, but why do I get the feeling that it wont be a 3pt £60-er like the other time I was caught speeding about 4 years ago? Anyone else here been done for that kind of speed and if so what was the penalty?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Might be 4 or 6 points, though not automatic court hearing.

Just ignore it, then reject any registered post that comes to your house in the next month. Worked for me and my friend.

Reply to
fishman

If it goes to court, get a solicitor. Fines there are means tested and as you are prolly not jack straw or a professional footballer - you may get more of a fine than £60. I think the ban thing is at the courts discretion too.

Sometimes you can opt for a driver training course thing instead of the points. You get the fine still - but have to go sit through someone telling you how irresponsible you are driving 1mph over the speed limit etc etc yadda yadda.... oh and I think they show you rta scene piccies and vids. Only people I have heard getting offered these though are first timers.

Good luck.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

I've been through cameras several times on the A1 far in excess of the speed limit (and yours there) and got flashed but luckily never heard anything so keep your fingers crossed. I think you've got 7 days before they have to have notified you but I might be wrong about that. By contrast I got an sp-50 for doing 70 on the M-60 or 606 can't remember now - full three lane motorway but it was in a new 50 mph zone - bastards - bloody typical. It's just a money making exercise. Makes their crime figures look good and is very lucrative. They say all the money goes back into new cameras but thats bollocks because there is a limit and by the time they've built them everywhere they're going to be making a freakin fortune.

Reply to
Johnny

Really? Is that not a bit risky - that is, could they not take out a warrant for your arrest?

Reply to
Bigus

"Bigus" wrote

I got my NIP the day after my car was broken into and £350 of stuff nicked, plus the cost of fixing the window. Where were the bastards when my stuff was getting pinched!

Reply to
fishman

"Bigus" wrote

It is risky. Cover your ass (albeit only with a figleaf) by filling it out and getting it photocopied at a copyshop - making sure you keep the receipt for photocopying, showing the date. Destroy the original.

Honestly it's been well over a year since my NIP and I've been pulled over since and checks run and it showed up nothing. Same for my friend - and he's been to court about another speeding offence and won.

If you don't respond to a NIP they send it again by registered post, just before your time is up. If you're not in, you'll be left a card. Just don't ever pick it up from the sorting office and you'll be ok.

Reply to
fishman

might they not say why did you not just send the NIP back by recorded delivery if you went to the trouble of taking it to, and paying for it to, be photocopied?

too late in this case, as I posted it at lunch... hmmmm, I should think you might aswell just say you never received it the first time and never received it when they sent it by registered delivery either.. I don't suppose there is anything they can do about that, because they couldn't prove it and all that would be left to do would be for a cop to bring you round another NIP by hand!

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

"Bigus" wrote

Good, 94mph is a ridiculous speed at which to travel and you were obviously not in control of the vehicle ;)

Like I said, I got the NIP the day after my car was broken into. And guess why I was speeding? Because a BMW driver was really closely tailgating me and I sped up to get past the Focus I was overtaking (was a dual carriageway), just to get the BMW off my ass. Just as I completed the manoeuvre I noticed the yellow van. Doh.

The irony of driving the Turbo was that I tended to always drive within the speed limit because I couldn't afford the drop in fuel economy if I drove fast! BMW drivers can kiss my ass (maybe they are all trying to and that's why they tailgate).

And I bet that because the BMW was so far up my ass, they didn't get a NIP as their numberplate would've been hidden by my car!

Reply to
fishman

I did one of them courses and they're not as bad as they sound. the guys that run them are not anti-speed-freaks, they take a sensible view on things and make you think (and even laugh), and actually teach you a few tricks to getting round the highway code (well not tricks as such, just interpretations that will benefit you). They dont judge you at all, everyone is treated equal. You dont get a fine either, you have to pay for the course (which is intentionally set at a lower price than a fine, about £120). But if you're naughty again after doing it, you get shafted!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Johnny

3 pt 60 quid ticket will come by post... Plead guilty but go to court so they don't get the money - it'll cost a bit more but not much in the global car running scheme of things.

Or plead not guilty and see how much fun you can have defending it...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

FPNs and summonses are deemed served if posted to the last known address by first class post, doesn't have to be registered.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

94 shouldn't be banning terrirtory unless your on >6 pts already - solicitor could be a waste of money...
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Limit Fixd Pen Summons

20 mph 25 mph 35 mph 30 mph 35 mph 50 mph 40 mph 46 mph 66 mph 50 mph 57 mph 76 mph 60 mph 68 mph 86 mph 70 mph 79 mph 96 mph

If the police are happy to follow these guidelines, you should just get a FPN. If it was past a school at kicking out time in the wet, then they tend to take it more seriously,

Reply to
Questions

fingers crossed then - as a matter of interest, where did you get those numbers from?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

A friend of mine got a fixed penalty @ 34.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

Speed + 10% + 2mph *USED* to be the minimum booking speed.

It's not now though ! You have every chance of being booked for doing 55mph in a 50mph !

Reply to
Nom

"Nom" wrote

A colleague's wife got done for 32 in a 30. Got the option of 3 points and a £60 fine or A "speed awareness" course and a £90 fine.

Reply to
fishman