Got the top off today for the first time this year.

Damn I love that car. Hate it with the roof up though. You can forgive the scuttle shake when the top is off, sun is shining, and some decent soul/reggae/punk comes on the radio. My glasses darken and my heart lightens I feel great. Shame it uses so much extra fuel and I have a knackered fuel gauge so I daren't do it too often.

Now I'm faced with that dilema.

1)Keep trying to sell it, get something "Sensible" to keep SWMBO happy, and TBH does make sense. 2)Forget sense, forget scuttle shake and forget I work in Manchester (where it rains every day), take one of the credit cards I worked so hard in completley clearing, and say to a garage, ring me if it is full. And get them to sort the fuel gauge, the roof skin and the windscreen surround.

I hate loving cars. Why can't I be a happy Mondeo/Vectra/406 saloon guy, and quite blankly stare into space when someone says "what pressure should your tyres be?", and just gets in and drives and books it into the main dealer twice a year for its full dealer ripoff.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Get the welding done, get any paint that needs doing done. Then shop about for the roof and DIY the fuel gauge. Shouldn't cost too much and ought to make the car worth a few bob and easily saleable.

Reply to
Doki

Keep it. Had a guy around tonight to look at the Charger. He had the hungry look in his eyes that my wife says I get. He said he is going to sleep on it but I am 90% sure he will be turning up tomorrow with the cash.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I broke the replacement sender in the same way the original went. but before it broke, the gauge was shwoing always full, instead of always empty. That means gauge trouble it self. That is about half a day removing the dash and disconnecting the vacuum vent controls, but worse, removing the heater valve control rod. I've known people spend weeks trying to get that back on.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Better for you to spend weeks on getting it back on than pay someone else £30 an hour to do it. Take the seats out and give yourself plenty of room.

Reply to
Doki

Your time must be very cheap then :)

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Problem isn't the seats. I have removed enough on my old one when I changed the brake servo to=20 know what needs to come out.

Problem is putting it back together. Relocating the rod for the heater valve is about 3 jobs from the end,=20 doesn't matter how much space you have outside the dash, you need to get=20 in behind, after you have put it back together.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Problem is putting it back together. Relocating the rod for the heater valve is about 3 jobs from the end, doesn't matter how much space you have outside the dash, you need to get in behind, after you have put it back together.

Obvious answer is remove the engine, then the firewall and possibly the floorpan. Simple. I don't envy you though :-) Buy a family pack of plasters too.

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It is that kind of job yes. On the hatchback/saloon version it is easiest done through the speaker hole, looking down through the windscreen from the outside.

But the convertible uses a steeper raked taller screen, wheich means you need to have an extra joint in your arm and a long neck, to be able to see down while reaching round the A pillar.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2
[...]

Helper with a mirror?

Alistair J Murray

Nope, because your arm fills the hole where you would look down, unless your outside the car.

The easiest space to work though is the removable cover that cover the

4" speaker the 2" vent hose and where the tweater gets mounted. It is roughly 6" square.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Find a chick with small hands.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Buy a bullet cam off ebay, tape it to a length of stiff wire, plug it into a telly. Insert behind dash ? Bingo - your own endoscope. Should help ? No ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That might actualy be the easiest way tbh. Carry the camera down in my hand as I reach down, then use stiff wire to stop it swinging arround. Bloody expensive way to refit the heater rod though, by the time I've bought the mini telly, and the camera.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Well, I am a student. To be able to pay someone else £30 an hour and it be worth more than your time in pure cash terms, you'd need to be getting paid about £45 an hour I reckon, with taxes the way they are. P'raps even more, as that works out at 90k a year, which is well into supertax territory.

Reply to
Doki

Why do you need to buy a mini telly ? Don't you have a portable at home and an extension lead ? Ok, you might need a helper, but that's almost always going to be the case. Camera -

Add a roll of insulating tape and a straightened out wire coathanger.

There's always an inexpensive solution if you look hard enough ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Did I hear someone say 'fee evasion' ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

You've got me there Steve. ??

Wire coathanger for fishing camera in behind dashboard. Are you suggesting some sort of nefarious activity ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Heh.

No - look at the selling prices vs. shipping costs of that particular seller's items.

eg. that camera 99p selling price, 10 quid shipping.

Worse still, the mini camcorder things he's got - 13 quid selling price,

30 quid shipping.

All well and good - but if anything goes wrong, you're stuffed for chargebacks via PayPal - they'll only pay out for the item selling price.

Reply to
SteveH

Fiary nuff - all I was trying to show is that these little cameras neeedn't cost a fortune - though the far east sellers do try to rip you right off with that shipping thing you mention.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle