grounding - electrical??

Is this grounding of electrical earth points worth it or are the modding firms just avin a larf???

MrJolly

They are having a laugh.

Reply to
Burgerman

Gold plated larf.....

Reply to
Taz

between the battery and the engine , then it wouldn't turn over on the starter would it ............ If you're that worried run an additional earth strap from the battery to the body , they're like a fiver . Gold ..... funnily enough the best conductor of electricity is silver , the best wire available ( to my knowledge anyway ) is silver plated copper wire. steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

ffs. that's the biggest load off bollocks I've read for a while.

If you're existing earths are fine, it'll make no difference.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Advertisment? Anyway, dont bother. Waste of time and seriously overpriced.

Reply to
Ed

I can see it having a benefit on an older car where the factory fitted earth straps may have deteriorated, but it doesn't need the hype or the designer look, just a few good old braided earth straps, and a good cleaning of rust and crap at the factory earth points.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Very true, the claims for better more stable ecu stuff etc are nonsense as well. All the sensors are provide with their own earth to the ecu and nearly all ecus are designed to have a single ground point to stop earth loops.

Reply to
Ed

I've got one similar to that sites but didn't pay that sort of money.

19's are well known for dodgy earths and a few extra earth leads does wonders, when they happen to be blue its all the better :)

Chet

Reply to
Chet

Hello,

I would doubt they can prove any of the silly claims about "increasing HP" and "increasing torque". They are just one of many companies taking advantage of boy racers and people without a brain that fall for any old advertising. It's like people that will get a low powered small engined car such as a clio, nova, corsa or saxo and fit big exhausts/induction kits - then claim they are FASTER! Most of this stuff seems to be fitted to tiny engined cars owned by people of a certain age.

Reply to
Fred

What's wrong with small engines? Small engines + forced induction = fun. That said the most fun car I have driven to date was a mere 1.8 and normally aspirated (admittedly very light and well balanced unlike a nova, corsa or saxo).

Reply to
Depresion

Bugger-you beat me to it. You can just see the Barryboys fitting these overpriced kits to their shopping trolleys and then claiming 250BHP !

Reply to
Madmucks

thanks folks - i thought that it was load of crop dressed up in nice webpages - anyway my Dad said that i can get better power by pressing my foot down onto that pedal on the right and that i can get better fuel economy by lifting my foot off the pedal too. He also said not to worry about the idle speed as I'm quite good at idling already. Guess I'll have to buy him an Easter egg as payment for his advice and for saving me a few quid.

Reply to
MrJolly

It's a monstrous con. Avoid. If you really must, then add your own grounding kit made from braids bolted to the engine and bodywork, but it will have zero practical effect unless your engine has somehow managed to snap it's original earthing strap.

Reply to
Questions

And electrical earth point is a ground.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, "Depresion" slurred :

Elise?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I reckon that with a few feet of welding cable, some decent sized terminal connectors, an# industrial crimp and industrial saolding iron or blowtorch, you could make that few a few quid.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com slurred :

My old mini had a curious problem - it would crank quite slowly, and occasional with a slightly odd smell, but the battery and starter seemed fine. I had seperately noticed that the accelerator pedal was getting stiffer. It turned out that I hadn't reattached the earth strap to the bellhousing last time I had the engine out, and the only earth to the engine was the outer sheath of the accelerator cable, which got quite warm after a few seconds cranking :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Burgerman! You've not posted in a while!

Reply to

gold is only used in electrical connections for it's inertia to oxidisation which makes it a good contact metal.

Reply to
JohnR