Hair Loss Advice Needed

I have been in a doctoral program for the last 2 1/2 years, and dealing with lots of stress. I have been on and off the Atkins diet as well. Two weeks agao I noticed that my hair was thinning and it seemed to start suddenly.

I am now doing protein deep conditioning to my hair. Yesterday I starting taking one each daily of the following vitamins: B-Complex

100, E 400 I.U., Calcium+D 500mg, and Biotin 1000mcg.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated.

Reply to
·PattyPat

I would take a B-50 vitamin complex tablet once a day. Also, take some essential oils, such as GLA. In other words, avoid an extremely low-fat diet. Eat fish and some other fatty foods occassionally.

Your B-Complex 100 might equate to a B-100 which is good. But, a B-50 works for me. A B-100 could be overkill and might give you too much B-6.

Reply to
·MrNaturalHealth

No amount of deep-conditioning protein shampoo will make hair grow/regrow. Save your money.

Wouldn't it just make more sense to eat foods that are high in these vitamins?

Check out this site for ideas.

low-fat

Atkins is hardly low-fat.

Vitamin pills are just band-aids for a poor diet. Eat nutrient-dense foods instead.

Patrick

Reply to
·aolcom

When it comes to hair, I don't think so. :)

Tell me, Mr. No Body, why do scientists have such a nasty, negative attitude that they seem to have the personality of a constipated wort hog?

Reply to
·MrNaturalHealth

I've seen recent evidence that low carb dieting can contribute to hair loss, but so can stress.

I've been low carbing for a long time, and really strict about it since January! I also noted hair thinning starting a couple of months ago.

I started getting better and more regular about taking my daily vitamins (with special emphasis on a multi that is high in B-complex) as well as upping my trace mineral dose, and the problem has reversed itself somewhat. The hair on top is beginning to thicken up a bit again.

Low carb dieting, unless you are REALLY good about making sure you get enough veggies, can cause some vitamin deficiencies. Even then, since you are also cutting calories, it's next to impossible to get all the vitamins and minerals that you need!

Forget the cheap vitamins sold at the grocery store! Hit the health food store and look at Solgar and Twinlabs. A good trace mineral is inexpensive and made by Natures Way.

Hope this helps???

Reply to
·OmManiPadmeOmelet

Excellent advice, but DO add trace minerals!

A nice fatty and delicious fish is catfish. It's inexpensive too. I like to grill it in the foreman grill with a little lemon pepper and dill.....

Eat some fresh nuts every day too. Macadamia, Almonds, Pecans, etc. Great quick snack for breakfast.

Avocados...... Yum!

Reply to
·OmManiPadmeOmelet

Does not matter! When you are trying to lose weight and cutting calories, you can NOT eat ENOUGH natural foods to get the vitamins and minerals you need!

Why do you have a problem with pills????

They are convenient and solve the problem nicely.

Depends on the individual. ;-) I stick more with the Greenwich or Southbeach style eating myself. I don't like fat that much so have to make myself eat it, except when I get the occasional sweet craving.

Not when you are cutting calories. It's next to impossible to cut calorie/food intake and eat enough food to get what you need!

Reply to
·OmManiPadmeOmelet

nutrient-dense

I agree. Vitamins from pills or from food won't help.

Do they?

I don't know... maybe it's just your perception.

Patrick

Reply to
·aolcom

B-Complex

I disagree. As you know losing weight is more than just dieting. It takes exercise. And if you're getting enough exercise you can eat plenty to get the vitamins you need and still lose weight/or maintain the proper weight. I think nature has a way of making sure it can happen.

Because at best, for a healthy person who eats a proper diet, they're unnecessary, and at worst can be toxic.

They're too convenient. And because they are too often, too many, think they're a substitute for good food. ['Awe the heck with eating some fruit or vegtables that I may not like, I'll just pop a pill instead.'] Pills are no substitute for good food.

extremely

I think the main focus needs to get off diet plans and onto excercise programs.

Nature has been doing it for us since the begining of mankind.

Patrick

Reply to
·aolcom

NOW you're talking! ;-)

Patrick

Reply to
·aolcom

The following is an advanced Google search that covers non-surgical alternative treatments for thinning hair information that is available on the web.

·MrNaturalHealth

Describe your hair loss? How do you know you have hair loss?

This group is pretty clueless on this subject. I suggest various forums like:

I assume you are female. They should have a female hairloss section...

Perhaps you have PCOS. Perhaps you have high androgens or dhea. You might want to see a doctor. They would be better at identifying the cause.

Reply to
·Kev