Haven't modded a car today but...

Missus says to me yesterday, "how long have you had this car now?" She was of course refering to the 3 months rule. As this was a decent car, she didn't want me bodging it for 3 months, while I checked for any faults. I bought the car over the easter weekend.

I would love to fit a set of BRM nubeetle alloys and a set KW coilovers. What is really annoying me is the poor radio receiver in the cheap goodmans MP3 HU. It is louder than the Stock Skoda one, but the skoda had better reception. I couldn't hear the Skoda headunit on the motorway for road and engine noise.

Problem is, stop at a set of lights and I lose XFM's signal, no other local or BBC station does that.

So, do I reassemble the Car PC, and add

when they are back in stock to do radio, it has no line outs so I would need a line converter to use an AMP to get all, to use 4 speakers.or Add a radio card to the car PC and just use an indash screen.
won't be as good as they aren't intended for on the move. Or Do without radio but get the benefits of gigs of MP3s and sat nav/bluetooth handsfree support that works with my phone(in software)/movies for passengers

Or find a bluetooth headunit that supports my phone (harder than you think), and has decent pre-outs, and an amp, and 4 decent speakers+front tweaters, and get the car rewired for the amp and speaker wires.

Lose SAT NAV but get radio with bluetooth support.

I know that apart from getting skoda to fit the optional 3rd/4th speaker wiring kit (about a days labour plus the loom), I'm going to have to fit an amp and wiring. What do you all reckon. Amp in the boot, PC under the passenger seat, motorised in dash screen with radio.

Reply to
Elder

That all seems like a f*ck load of effort :) Just get a decent head unit.

3rd 4th? Do you only have 2?
Reply to
DanTXD

It is a lot of effort. But how much for a 900 cd Changer, with DVD/AVI/MPG/ 5.1 surround sound,=20 SatNAV and bluetooth handsfree and engine/system diagnostics/monitoring=20 off the shelf?

A decent CarPC costs no more than =A31k for the best system, plus amps/.=20 I'm not going for the best system, I'm going for a workable one. I have the mobo, and the PSU (capc special one), and the memory, and the=20 GPS antenna, I also have a wifi card and radio/tv card, I could glass in=20 the existing screen, but I might need to move buttons arround.

Or I could buy a decent sized lappy HDD and the motorised screen.

Benefit of a car pc over normal AV system is, I can change how it works=20 when I want, add new features when open source coders build them/design=20 them, and update the files on the car PC via WiFi, and connect the carPC=20 via OBDII. Plan also is to use a VFD display, a small mirror, and a=20 small fresnel lens as the basis for a hud display for at night. Get it=20 to show track info and speed/ revs, or GPS/satnav info + using the free=20 speed camera DBs available, get it to flash the HUD speedo display if=20 you are close to a camera. A small clear polarising filter on a lower=20 section of the screen should stop it being visible from the outside.

2 front door speakers, and 2 door mirror tweaters. They didn't wire for the rears. Even the ISO plug is missing the=20 necessary wires for the rear speakers.

But gutted, because they fitted the mountings/grilles for the rears, but=20 not the speakers. Better models got front and rear speakers/tweets.=20 Others got nicer systems.

Reply to
Elder

2 front door speakers, and 2 door mirror tweaters. They didn't wire for the rears. Even the ISO plug is missing the necessary wires for the rear speakers.

But gutted, because they fitted the mountings/grilles for the rears, but not the speakers. Better models got front and rear speakers/tweets. Others got nicer systems.

I have 2 in the rear, erm, where doors would be, 2 in the front doors and 2 tweeters near the wing mirrors (but inside obviously...).

Reply to
DanTXD

Pretty much how mine would be, except the rears would be each side of the shelf, rather than the rear seat side/door cards

Reply to
Elder

How pikey is that?!

And people say that Skoda are 'like a VW but cheaper'..... I think we can see why ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

That appears to be the only real downside to them. The headunits are pretty weak too. But it appears to be down to skoda UK. Skoda Ireland had them shipped without and fitted 4 speaker systems and a Blaupunk 45x4 stereo. Skoda UK fitted a Grundig 4x12watt system, without the sub output, or changer input, and only front speakers on the cheaper models. I was quite surprised to find that the GLX model was below the SLX spec.

Reply to
Elder

It is a lot of effort. But how much for a 900 cd Changer, with DVD/AVI/MPG/ 5.1 surround sound, SatNAV and bluetooth handsfree and engine/system diagnostics/monitoring off the shelf?

My JVC AVX1 does nearly all of that. Bluetooth is handled by a car kit and sat nav is handled by my phone. Job done.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

And it has a 900 CD changer?

Reply to
Elder

It takes DVDs of mp3. I find that is enough. Of course you can get a changer for it but how much music can you listen to on your average journey?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

OK, DVDs full of MP3 does the same thing. It isn't how much in one journey, it is how often you need to listen to the same album without choosing it.

Reply to
Elder