Help: Snoopers / Radar Detectors

Hi, I am hoping that you people may be able to help me out with something. I have been looking at getting a snooper - radar / laser / gps speed camera detector. Now a number of friends and relatives insist that they are illegal. Now am I right in saying that its the laser / radar jammers that are illegal and not the radar / laser / gps speed camera detectors? or am I completely wrong?

Thanks

Chris Help: Snoopers / Radar Detectors

Hi, I am hoping that you people may be able to help me out with something. I have been looking at getting a snooper - radar / laser / gps speed camera detector. Now a number of friends and relatives insist that they are illegal. Now am I right in saying that its the laser / radar jammers that are illegal and not the radar / laser / gps speed camera detectors? or am I completely wrong?

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The GPS-type devices are the only ones worth bothering with.

The GPS-type devices are most certainly not illegal.

Nom

Radar jammers are illegal, I think.

Laser jammers aren't necessarily illegal, but the use of them can get you up to seven years as Jeffrey Archer's bitch:

Detectors and positional notifiers are fine, I think, but there are caveats (like they're illegal in france, etc.) Personally, I'd like a detector as a gadget but definitely wouldn't rely on it or spend much money on one.

It's true to say, around here, the cameras are generally big obvious boxes (ok, the motorway roadworks sometimes have quite small yellow cameras that aren't obvious.) and the police vans are obvious too. It's not like the old days where your speed trap would consist of a bloke leaping out from behind a hedge with a fairly unreliable radar gun (ask me about an ancient moped I used to have which could do about 20 mph tops (25 maybe when it was new, some 20 years before), and how they stopped me for 45 *going uphill*... Sadly, they saw sense...)

These days, they have roadsigns "mobile camera ahead" and the like. Few excuses for getting caught be that sort of thing... Dunno about Scotland or Wales.

Apparently >Help: Snoopers / Radar Detectors

Reply to
Questions

snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com raved thus:

:: These days, they have roadsigns "mobile camera ahead" and the like. :: Few excuses for getting caught be that sort of thing... Dunno about :: Scotland or Wales.

Except on motorways. They don't seem to notify you when there is chance of a mobile unit on a bridge up ahead. Any reason for this?

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

I cruise everywhere at... er... 70... and so far haven't picked anything up. It's extremely rare to be overtaken at... er... 70... so I reckon when I am passed by something, they're taking a chance of being done.

There are exceptions, there is the M25 variable zone, and there are roadworks with cameras, some quite subtle. I dunno about Scotland or Wales, they seem to have some peculiar enforcement.

I've yet to see a mobile unit on a bridge, in england. When I do, I'll probably be even more leary about white vans parked in odd places than I already am, but so far...

Reply to
Questions

I'd disagree with that quite strongly, with a proviso of - for the most part - only decent detection kit being worth bothering with (Bel, Valentine, etc).

The Cheetah, however, is stunningly good for how little it costs and also doubles as a decent wide view rear mirror in normal use.

Reply to
Lordy

Detectors and waypoint systems are legal in this country (france confiscate them on sight though...), for the time being.

Jammers are illegal *to use*.

Reply to
Lordy

snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com raved thus:

:: There are exceptions, there is the M25 variable zone, and there are :: roadworks with cameras, some quite subtle. I dunno about Scotland or :: Wales, they seem to have some peculiar enforcement. :: :: I've yet to see a mobile unit on a bridge, in england. When I do, :: I'll probably be even more leary about white vans parked in odd :: places than I already am, but so far...

I've seen one one the M5 near Bristol (J13is, ISTR). There is often a unit on the roundabout over the A1(M) near Durham. I've heard that there is often a unit on the bridge over the M1 at J15.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

In news:IXqBc.151$6w4.84@newsfe5-win, Chris decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Dunno, I found an ancient Snooper radar detector the other day in amongst all the crap in my garage. Don't know where it came from..

anyway, fired it up and it instantly went nuts. Plugged it into the car, went for a wander about town. On the City setting it only seemed to pick up the radar on the pedestrian crossings, on the normal setting it was just 5 lights and screaming all the time. I drove past a few cameras and guess what... bugger all. Waste of time. It's now back in the garage re-gathering dust.

I'd like one of the GPS ones though.

Reply to
Pete M

Snooper are s**te tho, all noise and no substance. It's the detecting equivalent of a Peco Big Bore 4 :)

Reply to
Lordy

What sort of GPS / radar detector would you go for then? I was looking at the Snooper S4 Neo Are these any good? Whay do you recomend?

Thanks Chris

Reply to
Chris

S4 is supposed to be ok, I was speaking more of the cheap detection units more than anything.

As far as GPS is concerned, they all do pretty much the same job.

Have a read through

Lordy

M6, Penrith/Carlisle area. They're on the bridges on a daily basis.

Reply to
Nom