Here's How Crap Our Front Tyres Are

Okay, remember kiddies we're talking about a mighty 60 bhp, ohhh hang on, maybe 63, heh.

In the wet, wheelspins when applying more than around 45% Throttle once you're under way. That is, move off with few revs, plant it to 50% Throttle, off it wheelspins...

Okay change to second, breaks traction with around 60% Throttle from between

15 and 20 mph. Of course, you get less than full acceleration when one wheel is spinning away.

Select third, then. Apply more and more throttle. Breaks traction at somewhere over 85% Throttle, not sure at what point exactly, I was trying to keep it in a straight line... :-/

And the suggestion?

"Oh, Dervy, take 'em off the front and bung them on the back, I'll bring the camera..."

:)

Reply to
DervMan

That's what I did on the GTI-R after I put crap tyres on the front, at least if they're on the back you still have full use of the steering if you go into a roundabout too fast and it's much nicer to drive.

Reply to
Homer

Worn suspenstion? I had that problem on my cav and astra.

Reply to
timmmmayyy!

Heh; I'm confident it's the tyres. Swapping wheels front to back would establish, or otherwise, this.

Reply to
DervMan

The disadvantage is that there's a chance we'd be leaving the roundabout by another exit than we'd originally planned, wanting reverse gear too! :)

Reply to
DervMan

Get a car that does not offend my mechanical sensibilities? Rear Drive

Reply to
Burgerman

I did! Have a 220bhp Westfield that I was going to add nitrous to, have most of the parts ready and sitting here after looking at your website. Nitrous is on hold now and early next year I plan to start on a 20B powered Westfield with 400+bhp, don't think I'll need the nitrous after all :-)

Reply to
Homer

Put the nitrous on as well. It'd be rude not to if you have the parts lying around :)

Just remember to put some wings on it...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

It's still an option but I think the problem could be getting traction at any speed.

Reply to
Homer

Inherently shie chassis? Absolutely knackered front suspension? My old Triumph Acclaim was running tyres that were £21 each, fitted, and i'd like to think the suspension was a worse standard set up than the, supposedly good ( ;) ), Ka, and it wouldn't do that, with more power and shorter ratio's than the Ka.

Reply to
DanTXD

I think people are paid to use the Wynstars. If Charlie can incite wheelspin then they're bad. :)

We'll get the new tyres on next weekend, meanwhile I have to avoid crashing and resisting the temptation to swap fronts with backs... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

The tyres and/or your car are broken. Or the pressures are *very* wrong.

I've always used bargain basement tyres on the TI, and it won't light up the front wheels in third with throttle alone - and that's with ~220bhp and ~280Nm going through them.

Hell, it'll only do it in second if it's wet, and you attempt to steer whilst having the throttle rammed against the floor.

Both my 405s ran budget no-name rubber too. Both had 120bhp. Neither would light up the tyres in 2nd gear, even in the wet, with throttle alone. Infact, they would only give a bit of a chirrup in 1st, unless you cheated with the clutch.

Reply to
Nom

what do the tyres look like? and what do you expect if you are going ice racing in it :) I'd say it was a poor tyre, but putting them on the back will only mean that the back end will start to squeal as it goes round corners won't it?

Reply to
dojj

Worse...

Reply to
DervMan

Sunday, I swapped wheels front to back, thinking that these'll stay as they are until the weekend, I leave and get home in darkness...

Monday evening, I change wheels back to front. Had some, erm, instability... :)

Reply to
DervMan

so i've read :) replies there

Reply to
dojj

right, what make were they on the front when they were on the front and what make were they on the back when they were on the back? or were they all the same el cheapo tyres? the only other thing i can thing of doing would be to put the ones with the most tread on them on the rear because at least you will only understeer into a tree rather than oversteer into the oncoming traffic it's the lesser of 2 evils until you get better tyres

Reply to
dojj

With the crap tyres the Volvo came with (some Goodyear s**te) the back end would step out of line with any sort of throttle input round a bend. Some decent tyres completely transformed it.

Mind you the MR2 tyres refuse to light up with 4000rpm starts in the dry, and i think they're unbranded (although the tread pattern look spretty useful). The joys of RWD and mid mounted engines :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Heh I should have explained.

Wynstars on the front (now) - the s**te ones. They have around 6.5 mm on there! >:-/

Nearly new Falkens on the back. About 2,000 miles.

With the Wynstars on the front, I can't even tickle the Falkens! I can hammer into a corner at low speed understeer-a-plenty. Lift off the throttle and the front tucks in but the back remains under control.

Reply to
DervMan

Swap them round then, should make things much more amusing!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs