HID light kits?

Stop this madness !

It doesn't matter HOW bright your main-beam is, nor how crap it's beam-pattern is, nor how it's aimed ! If you shine your main-beam at other road users, then you're not using it right !

Reply to
Nom

They don't work that quick. They just replace the manual dash

0,1,2,3,4 switch with one operated by a link on the rear suspension anti roll bar so the lights are automatically set for the load in the car, not for going over bumps. Had it explained to me by a Hella stockist when I suggested self leveling needed a sensor on both front and rear ARB's he said it would burn out the servos.

Peter Hill

There is. You can fail for insufficient light output due to corroded or dirty reflectors and lenses.

  1. a. a headlamp missing or so damaged or deteriorated that its function is impaired.

Peter Hill

In article , peter.usenet1 @nospam.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Yep, I barely scraped through this year, but did pass.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Both those will effect the beam pattern and could cause a fail. The machine *doesn't measure* light output. Is that clear enough?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And just where did I say it does?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You seem to be fixated about main beams on a discussion about dips.

How many people have fitted HID main beams without doing the dips first - even if they can actually get a kit for them?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I can agree! When the TR7 goes through the MOT it always passes the light check as the beam pattern if fine, but it's very dim (you can look straight into the lights when on!). I think it's high resistance in the wiring. I never take her out in the dark so it doesn't really matter, the lights pop up so slow you can never "flash" anyone as by the time they pop up, flash and then pop down you are about 3 miles past them!

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

Won't be the wiring as such, but a poor connection somewhere - or several. Switches, relays, and earthing points would be a start. But crimped connectors at each wire end can also be a source of high resistance after a good few years. And the whole lot adds up.

It's often easier to simply rewire the headlights direct from the battery via a relay whose coil is switched by the original circuit. And install a new earth to a decent point on the 'chassis'. Using decent cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not a discussion about dips. It's a discussion about HIDs, and headlight brightness in general.

Why would you spend vast sums of money improving the brightness of your dipped beam, when you already have full-beam mode to improve light-output ?

Surely that's what everybody has done ! Dipped-beam is merely a stop-gap - it's used until the oncoming car has passed, or you've overtaken the car in front. No point HIDing it for those tiny periods of use.

Reply to
Nom

It doesn't need to - the tester's eyes are quite capable of telling him if your headlights are functioning in candle-mode :)

When mine failed cos one of the reflectors was shafted, he showed me. He pointed the alignment thingy at the good headlight, and said "Look, see how bright that is." Then he pointed it at the shafted one, and said "Look, it's shafted.".

Reply to
Nom

Not with me it's not. By nature main beams will dazzle - even at quite low powers. Because they will shine straight into the eyes of an oncoming driver.

And the vast majority of cars have main beams which are perfectly adequate for speeds well in excess of legal ones in the UK. It's poor dip beams that are common.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be quite surprised if you find *anyone* who has fitted HID mains.

Since most fit aftermarket HIDs to pose with the pretty colours anyway. Which means dips - in town.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are they? Perhaps you'd quote the relative part of the legislation? Old cars can have extremely low light outputs and still pass. Provided the beam pattern conforms - ie doesn't cause dazzle on dip.

He realised he was talking to an idiot who didn't understand beam patterns.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On a quad lamp system HID goes in the dip beam and stays on all the time. They don't fit HID on main beam as you wouldn't be able to see in the gloom when you switch to dip. Only get main beam if you are going for quad HID or have the solenoid operated HID replacements for H4 twin filament bulbs. There could be issues at MOT with HID main beam start up time on a quad system. A short delay is acceptable when switching the lights on - pop ups are allowed 3 seconds. Beam switch should be immediate, halogen main beams come on near instantly, the HID dip stays on so there is no delay when the mains are turned off. Very few quad light systems switch the dip lamps off.

Peter Hill

You know about the register, yes?

My money is on ancient grease, sticky rubbers, or similar. Dead simple to sort if you pull them out of the car and dismantle them.

Should go up in about a third of a second with a whirr, and stay up for a bit while you flash, then back down in much the same time.

Apparently >I can agree! When the TR7 goes through the MOT it always passes the light

Reply to
Questions

Yup dual hids are fitted on some cars now, but because HID take a while to "light" they cant be used as a main beam bulb.

They are used by using a lens cap that is removed via a solenoid as pete says that lets the light through when you flash your main beam or put main beam on full.

Not many cars use this system though, most cars have HID for dipped beam, BMW have started fitting dual hids on there high end cars, as have Audi

Ronny

Reply to
ronny

Same as most other headlights, then?

Some current cars use an optical dip arrangement for the HID system - ie, just one actual 'bulb' per side. But retain some form of additional tungsten for flashing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Saw one in Albert Looms scrap yard in Derby 2 weeks ago. The motors for the lamps are huge. There is also a Simitar GTE. They tend to keep older cars longer.

The TR7 engine is so clearly 1/2 a V8. Are the heads handed or could you get two Dolly Sprint 16v heads on a V8?

Peter Hill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It's like modified exhausts at the MOT. They have to compare them to a standard car, which isn't there and pass or fail based on ear and memory.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo