Hoorah

Back on the road again!! And the little selector pin that went AWOL is now on tight with locktite :)

Also now have a polybushed gearchange assembly which gives a much nicer feel to the gearchange - not so much vagueness. (That's right people, a MODIFICATION!!)

However on the test drive all the sound deadening was removed from round the gearstick, and f*ck me the 'box sounds horrible!! Time to seriously start looking for a replacement me thinks!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What's the world coming to, eh? ;-)

Depending on your budget, I'd seriously consider paying someone to rebuild your existing box. Should be able to get it done for around 500 quid and you will then know it won't go wrong again.

Reply to
SteveH

They're on ebay all the time for £375 which is quite good. It's something I'd like to do in the future but I really cant justify it at the moment. Decent *sounding* ones do come up quite regularly and sell for £100-£150, which at the moment is a more feasible option. We'll see

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Of all the money I've thrown at the 75, the best value came from having the box rebuilt properly.

I've gambled and lost with used boxes in the past....

Reply to
SteveH

my mate had an old fiesta (ok not quite the same) and his gearbox went 4 times! and each time he replaced it with one from the scrappy. he got fed up with the car once the 4th box started to go and gave it to his sister who was learning to drive. anyway 4th box gave up and she splashed out on a brand new one. 2 years on she still has the car and the new box she bought hehe drives him nuts.

Reply to
Vamp

Well done and congrats on a modded car.

I guess that during your testdrive you used all gears and that gear change goes smoother without the crunching noise of the syncro-rings.

Before you take the plunge on a other gearbox, flush the gearbox oil. If the oil is very dirty or thick, you might even consider putting some kind flushing product in. If you find fine brass or alu chips in it, the gearbox is shot.

Put new in and respect the levels. Drive around in a civil manner and check oil level again after 100 km. It might cure a lot of nasty things. Iirc there are some steel oil lines which serve as cooler, check them too: if one is broken , the box will indeed become very noisy.

Don't know where the oilplug is nor if it will come loose easily but a

1-2 liter gearbox oil is cheaper than a new gearbix, less work too.

Good luck.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Bah! just put the sound deadening back, job done.

Reply to
ThePunisher

A more modded car :)

Yep, the gear change is great now. Box is very whiney though.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to do in the short term, just need to find some of the right oil!

Thanks!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I have, and no the v8 drowns it out. Sweet :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They all sound horrible. And you'll be hard pressed to find a better secondhand one. IIRC, the best thing is to re-build using later (LT77?) internals. And not really a DIY job unless you're pretty skilled with gearboxes. But see what it's like with the sound deadening back - all gearboxes are noisy without it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd be wary of cheap re-cons. Mixing old and new gears always results in more noise than there should be and that price doesn't allow for all new internals. They may be perfectly serviceable but not as good as is possible. I went though all that with my P6 3500S on which the SD1 box is loosely based. I eventually got a low mileage box known to be good and stripped and 'blue printed' that. A hell of a job, but it worked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Gearbox internals scare me, so it's not something I'd want to do myself :)

I'll just keep my ear to the ground and see what happens.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Isn't it the R380 thats the later, better version? Would be nice to be able to afford one of them, but I certainly can;t at the moment.

See my other post - I don't want to start messing with gearbox internals!! It's better with the sound deadening back (obviously) and the engine drowns most of it out, but you can still hear the whine.

I won't be putting much mileage on it which is good, so maybe I'll just start saving!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Straight cut innit ;)

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder