how to repair right door rear-view mirror

Hi,

Right-door rear-view mirror on my Lancia Thema 2000 i.e. 16V doesn't work. When I try to align it, it seems that an electrical motor of mirror works but mirror glass doesnt't move.

I couldn't reach inside of mirror to check if electrical motor have contanct with glass or not.

How can I do it? Where can I find a reparation guide for door mirrors?

Best regards, Rustam

Reply to
Rustam Bogubaev

You should be able to move the glass by hand - it has a sort of slipping ratchet or clutch. The glass is usually just clipped in place, but you often need a small screwdriver to ease the clips. You need to get the mirror to maximum travel at one end to get access. But the glue holding it to the frame can give way when you do this. Also, look out for the connections to the heater if fitted.

It's usually just dirt that stops them working and a good clean will often start them again. The switch can also get dirty and make poor contact.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Ah, a fellow Lancisti!

If your Thema is a Series 3, I can help, as the mirrors are the same as on my Dedra. Series 2 have a double-pronged mirror attachment (like the BMW M3).

Anyway, on the Series 3, if you look underneath, there five or six screws in the black part of the mirror. Remove these screws and the plastic, forward facing fascia and you can access the mirrors' internals. The chances are that the clips on the back of the mirror glass have become detached or, worst case scenario, damaged. Cost me £20 at Fiat for a new mirror glass, that fancy titanium anti glare stuff adds a few quid!

Good luck with this, otherwise, give FL Autos a shout 01778 440000 for a secondhand mirror. Doesn't matter about the colour they send you, as you can use the cover you unscrewed from the old one.

If it is a Series 2 (chances are it is as there were only about 90 series

3's imported) FL Autos have plenty of those in stock. Series 3 parts are a challenge to get hold of, but you may be able to fit one from a Dedra in this case.

HTH

Reply to
Fishman19