Huh?

Went for a takeaway in our nearest town last night. There was a red Corsa blockibg the goods entrance to the local Co-op. Windows open, lights on, windscreen wipers on, engine running. No one in sight.

Half an hour later (damn but the takeaway was busy last night) it was still there. Two blokes from the Co-op staring at it. They said it had been there for over an hour.

The local telephone number for the police station had been changed and no one knew which number to call. And since the cop shop now only works

2 hours a day and not at weekends not much point calling them. I was (briefly) tempted to find someone looking for Corsa spares but instead phoned the plod in Southampton. They didn't seem very interested and the car was still there another half hour later, still with engine running. None of us inclined to touch it.

Any guesses as to what happened? Best guess we could come up with was pikeys had dumped it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Strange I'd have thought anyone nicking a car would at least switch it off before dumping it, it's bound to draw attention if someone just walks away from a running car, maybe alien abduction ? ;)

On a similar (well, not really) note, on Saturday night I was following a silver BMW (not actually following it, just going in the same direction) when we stopped at the lights to turn right. He missed the lights going green due to (I thought) dancing away to his music, anyway we missed the green light. Next time around I sounded my horn at him and decided to go around him. On the way past I looked at him and he seemed to be having some kind of fit. I pulled up round the corner and rang the police/ambulance while I ran to his car. He was in a state, soaked with sweat, wide eyes, making circling genstures with his head and arms, seemed petrified and didn't seem to understand anything I was saying, the only thing he could say was "Ey ?" I turned the engine off stuck the hazards on and talked to him 'til the police/ambulance arrived, he didn't get any better but seemed a little less frightened.

Anyway, any idea what was wrong with him, didn't seem like a normal seizure to me, driving OK if a little slow for Saturday night until we stopped at the lights, too many pills ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

Major electrical failure, and the ministers wife owner ran for her life thinking it was possessed?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Sounds like an epileptic fit of the "small" variety. But I Am Not A Quack.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Perhaps the person couldn't figure out how to turn the engine off and opened the windows, turned on the lights and wipers in their attempts.

When I got my golf it tookme 2 hours and asking at least 6 people how to open the fuel filler.

Similar thing happened outside my parents house, some people abandoned a car, just left the engine running.

Reply to
fishman

When I got the astra van I was driving away from a band rehearsal (giving the drummer a lift home) and couldn't figure out how to turn the interior light off, so Danny (drummer) took the bulb out! Fuck knows how I managed to turn it on without knowing, but there goes!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"AstraVanMan" wrote

I think you pulled the headlight knob when you turned the headlights on. (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

In article , usenet- snipped-for-privacy@malloc.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

It was Richard Hamster Hammonds car, he doesn't really drive a Porsche, and and he had a relapse in to Paul McKenna's Hypnotism stunt.

I say sue the Bastard.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

How strange!

Perhaps it was being used in one of those annoying "look what members of the public did when they found a car by itself, running, with nobody to be seen| TV shows?

Reply to
DervMan

If they were, 7-8pm on a Sunday isn't a good day to pull the trick around these parts. There were only three people around to see it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Is that "How much is that doggy in the window"?

And nope, I don't speak any language other than the queens english (even though she is a german with a danish greek husband).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo slurred :

Yup. The italian for 'woof' is 'arf', apparently :)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Got it in one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Drop me a mail Re: Saturday, my hard drive grenaded itself so i don't have your address no more :)

Reply to
DanTXD

While it still had any petrol?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think I'm getting good at italian. Or was that in Latin (the origin).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

As soon as Carl mentioned it, I started to notice loads of latin-derived words (coda = end = tail?, vendita = to do with selling, cane = dog, etc.).

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No, it was in Italian.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You should have also noticed vetrina from vetro (glass), quanto "how much" or quantity as in "quant suff." and spero "I hope" from schoolboy Latin.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I never did much Latin (did it at school for a year so I could get to go to Pompeii, learned a bit as well 'spose), but could relate a lot of the words to French I know - la vitrine (window - no, shit, fenetre is window - I'm sure vitrine means window in one language!) and j'espere meaning "I hope" in French.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan