Hypothetical which car woudl you choose? Soarer or Supra?

I've seen that if a Soarer badged as Lexus they are on par with a non turbo supra 4 If they are badged as a Toyota, they are about half the price?

So, if you were looking, which would you choose? Soarer 2.5 twin turbo, or Supra Mk4 turbo?

Given that you can get a Supra mk4 in a manual, but haven't seen a manual option for a Soarer, and the Soarer is less in your face than a Supra styling wise, but still very sleek.

Not looking for a change yet, not for about 2 years, but I do like Toyota build quality, and engineering.

Maybe something to look forward to, when my bones get all achey (more than they are already) and I can't be bother clutch pedal pumping anymore.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar slurred :

I thought the soarer was more closely related to the mkIII supra? You DO see manual soarers, although I think something like 98% were autos.

I do quite fancy the 2.5TT soarer - 280BHp, RWD and loadsa toys. ISTR various people mentioning big bills if things go wrong, but since they are becoming so cheap it might not be a huge problem.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Er, Supra, no contest.

The Soarer is horribly ugly and too complex for it's own good. They aren't actually very good cars - go read some roadtests.

Reply to
Nom

Mk 4 Supra is the Fast and Furious one yea? Not the one Richard KP has?

In that case, Mk4 Supra, 3.0 Twin Turbo, 24v, Manual.

Soarer's are a bit ugly IMHO. Although they have some IMPRESSIVE spec levels. I'm starting to think i could do with a nice, big, ultimately comfy wafter car, instead of something so highly strung :) Although i would miss the chuckability, and the lift off oversteer that i discovered yesterday....

Reply to
DanTXD

I guess it is really looking at it.

Yeah, reading some reviews, and browsing ebay, seems the 4.0 V8 was auto=20 only, the 2.5TT had the option of manual.

Can't help thinking an auto might be fun though for a change. =20

If it is Toyota based, expect silly price for parts anyway whatever it=20 is. I think the standard factory exhaust was something =A3400-450 from=20 Toyota for my Celica, there weren't any in the country, I would have to=20 wait for 6 weeks until the next parts order came in from Japan for old=20 cars, and it might not be in that order. So I paid =A3300 for a Mongoose=20 Stainless.

The turbo intake rubber pipe split, Toyota was =A3150 for the whole=20 intake. Samco was =A395.

Cheap is good if you know an independant mechanic who is familiar with=20 Toyota Imports.=20

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Yep, that one.

Can't really decide, would I want a 4.0 V8 auto, or a 2.5 six cylinder twin turbo (not sequential) manual.

Either way, I'm sure it could tweaked to lift off, and with RWD, a quick poke of the loud pedal make it proper oversteer anyway. Like drifting a sofa.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

One is a sports car with luxobarge pretensions (Supra) the other is a luxobarge with sports car pretentions (Soarer). I've driven both and the Supra is much much faster. Both are really comfortable. Supra wins in looks and handling stakes. Over here a Soarer is 1/2 the price of a Supra. It all depends on what you want to do. The Soarers did come in a manual on the sports model. Rare as hens teeth. You also won't get leather interior on a twin turbo soarer very easily that was mainly in the V8s. At the end of the day the Supra is a better car but pricey. The Soarer is still bloody good and a bargain. If you are in that sort of market I'd look at the GTS-t Skylines as an alternative to the Soarer (which I did and ended up buying) or the GTR as an alternative to the Supra (which I also did and now I regret not buying the Supra).

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

The turbo one has more power stock. And is more easily tuneable.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I don't see it myself, cost versus specs, versus likely hood to have been abused, VFM, insurance costs of a luxury coupe against a jap supercar.

That sort of thing.

The reviews I read have been positive, not glowing, but fairly good. Apparently the V8 have less power, but more grunt, where as the TTs are slower off the line waiting for the turbos to spool, and but go once moving.

I actually prefer the look to a supra. It is the SC330/400 I'm talking about, not the latest SC430, that is really hanging. I reckon the SC300/400 looks a lot like a beefed up

200SX/watered down Skyline.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Cheers. I do reckon the Soarer has a little bit of the look of the 200SX and Skyline about it. I really like the shape. Kind of subtle. Don't know what they were thinking about with the SC430 though.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Stop this madness, Supra is light years better :)

Reply to
DanTXD

The Soarer is one of the worst styled cars in existence but I'd take one over the Supra as looks aren't everything and they are quite nice otherwise.

Reply to
Depresion

And the gross national debt of a small south american country more expensive.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Well, you get what you pay for...

On the basis of that, just get a s**te old AX :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Which soarer though? the SC300/400 or the SC430. The 430 is just nasty. the 300/400 looks quite downbeat and sleek.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Er, yuck !

Yes, that's the one I was talking about too - see above. The designer clearly had NO concept of proportion :)

I'd never even heard of that till you just mentioned it !

It's even WORSE !

I conclude that Lexus + Coupe = LOL

Er ?

Reply to
Nom

That's exactly the problem with them. The Soarer has masses and masses of custom electrics etc. - when they all go wrong, which they eventually will as the connectors begin to oxidise etc. then you're screwed. Nobody makes a pattern digi-dash etc. so you're stuck shelling out £££££ for Toyota bits. It's ok when you have to replace consumables like brake discs, or a wheel bearing dies - you can nick bits from another car, or just buy pattern parts.

Reply to
Nom

But you got rid of the Saab because of it's drink problem !

4.0 V8 Auto is gonna DECIMATE your wallet !
Reply to
Nom

What is wrong with the looks of this?

I don't see anything badly wrong with the looks. Very understated.

Now the SC430 is a mating between a pig and an ugly stick.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hardly mate, =A32-5.5k for either V8 4 litre auto with electric=20 everything, or 2.5 twin turbo with cloth, or optional leather if you can=20 find one, and a choice between auto and manual, with 0-60 in 6 in an=20 auto, or 5.5 in a manual. Aircon, toys, road presence, and Toyota build=20 quality. The Supra was based on the Lexus SC coupes floorpan, but=20 stripped out further and given more per performance versus luxury bias.