I do quite fancy one of these.......

I've got to admit I've never been a fan of the square-ish shape mercs, but that does look lovely - I think it's that style of alloy wheels that makes it - I really like the 'filled out' style IYSWIM. I really should concentrate on spending money on less wasteful things than expensive V8 Mercs (maybe I should get Pete's cheap V8 Merc!), as I did sort of promise myself that the money I spent on the Audi would be the only big-ish amount of cash I'd spend on a car for at least several years.

It is nice though. Were these ones supercharged (I'm guessing not, no mention of Kompressor anywhere) ? Any idea what the 0-60 would be, and the fuel economy?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Limited to 155 mph, 0 - 62 in 5.7 seconds, and the same fuel consumption as the 3.2 litre, 200 PS Honda Legend, at 23 mpg.

As I recall, they're not supercharged, but just a BFO V8. 350 PS and just over 500 Nm of torque from memory, and weigh around 1,700 kg (the same weight as the Legend, hehehe).

But, erm, you've no room for it? :p

Reply to
DervMan

I can think of cars I would rather spend the 20k that car will proberbly go for, maybe a R34 GTi-R skyline with a really nice kit and paint job on it.

Reply to
REMUS

Damned quick, being AMG, gulps it down faster than George Best, and you'd be disappointed about the spec, comfort, etc, only once you moved on to some other car, I suspect.

HST there might be all sorts of nasty surprises under the skin, as I daresay you already realise.

Reply to
Questions

True, and it's not the sort of thing I'd want to keep in a mate's street while I get around to selling something to make the space.

That, and it's not the sort of thing I could afford to buy, run or insure......

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, maybe - there's loads of cars I haven't driven, or even had ideas of owning yet, but I do like the idea of a turbo-lag-less, V8 powered rocket-barge.

On the Merc side of things, an SL55 AMG would be nice as well.

But back to the real world, I've got the A6.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I thought the bigger mercs (E/S class) are pretty well known for their comfort levels - are the AMGs not so much?

What sort of things - mechanical, electrical?

Not that I ask from a point of seriously considering buying one :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

AstraVanMan raved thus:

::

'The car cost new over £65k and has a current trade book price of £17800 with a retail of £20000'

Wow, depreciation!

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Huge big wheels, hard suspension, equipment levels "minimum" for class, perhaps?

Reply to
DervMan

Well I'm coming from an Audi, which don't have suspension, according to some :-)

And it does have a tuned up V8 :-)))))

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yuck.

There are a HUGE number of cars I'd rather have before that. M5, M3, Skyline, Supra, etc. (not in any particular order...)

Reply to
Nom

I had in mind that you wouldn't be moving onto another car until 2027 AD - unless the AMG bankrupted you first. And when you did, you would be disappointed.

It's the sort of thing that a dash bulb sets you back 300 quid because it compensates for the level of sweat on the driver's brow and so does not light until the immediate emergency has passed.

Although I'm probably exaggerating, 300 notes is too cheap. ;)

I have in mind that they don't go wrong too often but when they're about to, is the time to pass them onto a dealer and then the next driver will be shedding more notes than Michael Jackson.

Reply to
Questions

i'd stick with the japs, love the way the jap cars style and the way they squeeze as much out of an engine as possible. like the 150bhp turbo yaris i saw on an import site :)

i was considering a Toyota starlet before i decided they looks gay, 1.4 turbo and cheap tax :)

Reply to
Vamp

if ur looking at unfeasable motors then:

Theo

They are _horrible_. They look like a Daewoo, IMHO, and from what I've seen of recent Merc build quality, are likely to be screwed together about as well as a Daewoo, too.

Lots of poverty spec ones kicking about, 'cos they were cheap enough to get on the company car list of those who'd usually get a high spec

3-series. I've noticed a lot of these are now falling into the hands of the more affluent drug dealers / pikeys and gaining tacky gold trim and big wheels.

The last of the proper Mercs were the 190E and W124 E-Class, IMHO.

I'd love a 190E Cosworth.

0-60: not much

Fuel consumption: lots

Reply to
SteveH

Tacky, buzzy, gutless s**te, IMHO.

Drove a Cuore Avanzato TRX-X as a Cinq. Sporting alternative a few years back - stupidly quick 0-60, handled OK, but felt like a piece of shit shopping car with a very buzzy and unrefined engine.

Am I one of 'the few' who'd never consider a car based on it's qualification for 'cheap tax'? - For the amount you save (what is it? - £50 quid or so per year), I'd prefer to drive something with a proper sized engine.

Reply to
SteveH

What a tacky, ugly POS.

Reply to
SteveH

No no, the Audi manages to lack suspension on rough roads, but combined with jelly springs when it comes to corners... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Nope - I'm exactly the same.

When factored into the yearly costs of buying and running a car, the tax is a PIFFLINGLY small amount.

Now perhaps if the difference between large and small was a thousand quid, the government might tempt me into a smaller car - but the current £50 saving (or whatever it is) is laughable.

Reply to
Nom