I drove a Focus for the first time today....

I used to find that 45-50 mph in a 205 with the roof open and the windows closed was painful.

Reply to
Pete M

I don't see how it can be avoided - try blowing across the top of a bottle etc. At some speed you *will* get resonance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

To my shame, after all my passat-slating, I am in possesion of another example (B5.5). I need a practical, frugal estate which will swallow the astonishing amount of gear we apparently need to go camping, two thundering great labradors and which won't break down half-way across the highlands; it does all this very well. It was also offered to me at a depreciation dodging price...

I like the engine (PD130), I like the stereo, I like the layout and the 'solidity' of the thing. I *don't* like the utter lack of handling, the nanny-mentality of the central locking and trip-info computer thing, the bouncy ride and the constant nagging feeling that I could actually be having fun if only I was driving something else.

My experience of the sport is that it has more grip than the 'comfort' models, the ride is stiffer but still rather underdamped and it is quite difficult to get a trolley jack under it. Other than that it has the same basic Passatiness as the normal models.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

All Fords that I have owned/driven with a sunroof have a small spoiler that raises and lowers automatically as the roof is opened that seems to be there to deflect the flow of air up. Citroens AFAIR don't have this feature and they were the worst I had driven for resonance.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Was the wind deflector present?

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The little pop-up one at the front? Absolutely. Two of them were brand spankin' new (or very near) long-term (10k mile) rentals. The other was only 2-anna-bit yo and still on the original co.car lease.

Reply to
Adrian

%steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The XM most certainly did. The CX didn't, but didn't have any problems with resonance. The Saab doesn't - and doesn't have very much at all.

Reply to
Adrian

you are realising we're comparing it with a 1.6d focus?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My Bravo has a fabric mesh spoiler that does the job ok - if you hold it = down you can certainly hear the difference - but the one on my Octavia = was better - a crenellated plastic one

--=20 Alex

"I laugh in the face of danger , then I hide until it goes away"

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Can't say I've particularly noticed it on the Activa, but I used to normally have the n/s/f and o/s/r windows open, as my hair's a little on the overgrown side and I don't want it to get blown in my face.

Today, for a change, I tried the o/s/r open a bit with the sunroof slid fully open, and it did the trick nicely, and amusingly, instead of my hair being blown in my face, it was constantly being sucked upwards through the sunroof.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

The computer in Ye Olde Golfe also reckons that in my mix of driving I get

42mpg. It's actually 38.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I was amazed the first time I opened the BMW sunroof up full at 90mph (on a track, obviously) and found it was only just loud enough to need to speak up. Very quiet, and no resonance that I noticed at any speed.

My ancient Nova from years ago, however, would resonate like anything at quite low speed if you didn't have the right combination of windows open. I feared for the rear screen at times.

Reply to
PCPaul

On a recent cross-continent trip, I opened up the roof on my S60 at

150mph on Germany's finest to see what it was like. Surprisingly, the difference in noise was negligible. It does have a little straked pop- up spoiler on the leading edge of the sunroof aperature though.
Reply to
Andy Tucker

Pete did something similar to me when we were winning the Pothunter Rally in the Ka. I overshot the junction and backed up. ;-)

Reply to
DervMan

I've not driven them back to back. I don't expect to see that big a difference in consumption over my usual commute between these two. But my has cupholders, a centre arm rest and the company car tax for me is nothing. So it must be better than either option.

Oh and I enjoy driving it too.

Ultimately, if somebody enjoys driving their car, that's what it's all about, right? None of this hybrid-waving, lower-tax-waving, my-other-car-is-a-bike bollucks?

Reply to
DervMan

The classic 900 I had, had a metal sunroof, and big permanent 80's style plastic full width spoiler. Had almost zero noise.

The 9000 just had a little internal popup which was much louder.

The IS200 has the little popup type and it isn't great.

Reply to
Elder

Elder gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Mine's got the factory roof, but not the deflector - and has fairly loud wind noise, but not the borderline-painful booming.

The deflector could be tempting, but they do look very cheesetastic.

Adrian

The factory deflector is fabulous. And proper retro 80's/90's like rear window louvres.

Reply to
Elder

The one on mine was brown smoked on a Silver car and did look proper.

Reply to
Elder

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:08:13 +0100, Elder mumbled:

Works too. One of mine had one on, though it was cheesetastic dark blue on a red car.. ace :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P