I know it is insane, but something keep lunging me toward the buy now button

It's only done 6k less than the Celica, I know how much of a pain red cars are to keep clean and shiney, but it keeps trying to seduce me.

Or there is this.

As long as I keep moving, nobody will notice the scabs.

So much for something sensible.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The black one is nice, but he doesn't give the mileage. Why why why do people advertise stuff and not put the mileage? It's had an engine change 56k ago, from the questions, but he gives no indication of the mileage on the car and the engine beforehand. He even avoided answering a question about it!

Sounds bad, really.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

they're about as sensible as it gets for a sportscar really

Reply to
fishman

think of the insurance cots . . . . .

Reply to
Max the Axe

Isn't the 944 the "pretend" Porsche that originally had a van engine?

I always personally quite liked the shape of them, what was the performance figures for one of these anyway?

Reply to
Me

The 2.5 engine is good for about 150 kmiles. Prices for 944's are ridiculous cheap for the car you get.

The red one has bits I don't like: radiator changed, steering rack changed, non-orginal steering wheel... looks like a car with a history. The Leda- suspension etc is nice but then again this indicates either a enthousiast either a car driven very hard.

The black one looks at first glance nice, too nice in fact. I don't like it when a car is referred to as a project (not if that car is your daily user). The other pictures show corrosion, patched up where visible. There will be other places in the same state on that car. On top of all it is too cheap, stay away from it.

When looking around for Stuttgats's finest, do not be pressed. You can be pressed once you have it. Look around, there are a lot of 944/968's available and the right one at the right price will pop up.

Welcome in advance to the Porsche drivers :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

isn't the pukka one 924? i'd have that shaped porsche with the turbo lump whatever it was :) think it was the 944 that had the 'mans' engine :)

Reply to
Vamp

About =A3100 more than my GT4 fully comp. About =A3400 less than a mid 80's 911 fully comp And about =A3700 less than a 90's Mitsu GT3000/GTO fully comp. I can't give you a quote for a Skyline because nobody on Confused.com=20 would quote for it.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Nope. that was the 924. The 924S was then a bloatless 944 with the 2.5 litre engine. The came the 2.5, 2.7, and 3litre 944's and the 944 turbo.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Oh I know. Nice engine.

I reckon driven hard but looked after. Hopefully well enough.

it was the evil black with solid black interior that grabbed me. See I looked at it as a 1 year beater first Porsche. Only problem is, I know that 944's should have at least a part galvanised shell, so rust can mean accident damage.

I know. I do like them though, would love a 911. Even an older non turbo one.

Don't know if it will be this time round but I will have a porsche. I have an alterior motive though. As well as being some of the most reliable useable daily driveable sports/supercars (depending on how many turbos), one of the sales drones Rex has a Boxster. He bought it as a getting his license back prezzy after writing off a GT4 and getting a ban and prison. I want a Porsche earlier in my driving career than him. I always wanted to have one anyway, but I want one even more now. 944 would be OK. He loves his Boxster, and would take the piss out of my

944, but I would just tell him "Rex, porsche ownership can't be that exclusive. This is a Porsche, and I'm broke". Would be nice if I could find a nice 3litre one. But that would be out of my range.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

He states that car has the Cup-engine: that's impossible. The cup-version was a Turbo S-engine with an open filter and 290 HP.

If he looked after the car, then the front spoiler was overlooked.

Black on black is the most preferred combo by Porsche drivers who don't want to been seen speeding. Guess what's mine ;-)

The shell is completely galvanised, your accident-assumption is correct.

I repeat: do not be pressed and certainly not with older 911's. Those cars fetch silly money for what they are worth and so a lot of crooks are in the business.

The "sooner in driving career" is bull and you know it. The Porsche you need must be reliable, nice to drive and somthing you can modify at ease.

You will find a very nice S2, maybe even a 968 and it won't be out of your range.

You've got the right attitude (in my eyes) because there are 2 kinds of Porsche-drivers: those who want to been seen in a Porsche and those who drive a Porsche. You've allready choosen camp...

Boxsters, some 911's are ment to be seen in but a 944 driven in anger can be very impressive, still be nice to drive on the limit whereas driving fast a 911 is a feat very few can say they have done it. Those who have seen the limit with a 911 were bitten a few times, not mentionning that it's hard work too.

Just don't buy a wreck because spares still carry the Porsche logo.

As to the sales drone: Boxsters are cabrios which makes them twice haircutter- cars: there is a raison why Porsche refuses top race the Boxster and the new Cayman. Just to put into perspective: the Cayenne tank completes the Nurenburg Ring in the same time as the Boxster S... see what I mean?

944? One of the most understated cars there are and with the turbo-versions bloody serious machinery up, along and sometimes in front of the 911 Turbo.

But then again: I've got a weak spot for the watercooled Porsche's.

Greetings,

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.telenet.be, Tom De Moor decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Mine's quite cheap ;-)

... and you've chosen wrongly. The force is weak with this one.

It's hard work alright, but Carl, you'd enjoy it ;-)

£37 for a bonnet badge :-(

Save up, buy a 911, you won't regret it. Your left leg might though.

Reply to
Pete M

Nah mate. 9000 Aero with a Stage 3 maptun or Speedparts near 300BHP. Stage Hirch about 285-290, but you et to put on Silver on Black Hirsch/Saab Griffin badges instead of the common Red/Gold on Blue ones.

oh and close to 40MPG on a run and average 28-32 mixed and 35 motorway commuting.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Ah do it, whats the worst that can happen?

Reply to
DanTXD

With Porsche Tax?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

944 turbo that's the one that makes me wanna mess myself :) remember selling my dad's old amp on ebay and the guy came over to pick it up in the cleanest looking 944 EVER looked new out the damn show room and it made all the right noises as it drove off! want one!!!
Reply to
Vamp

And you're worried about a Toyota being unreliable. Bwaahahahahhahahahahhaahahahah *gasp* hahahahahahahahahah

Don't do it mate. Just get a newer Jap car. Or get a sensible jap econobox and a real unreliable project that you don't have to drive for the next 5 years.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

He could go broke and insane. (Though usually that is for buying old Jags.)

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No, you don't want one. The 944 Turbo engine is "old-spec": 2.5 l 8V 4 cilinders. By concept limited to ±350 HP (at 350 HP it isn't Porsche-relaible either).

What you do want is a 3l 16V-engine out of the 968 (or 944 S2) and have that turbo-charged.

Porsche did it: 4 -5 cars were build if I am not mistaken. After tests and racing the cars they decided against it because the potential was just too big and it couldn't be overclassed (performancewise) by the 911 Turbo.

So start looking for a 944 /968-rolling chassis, pick a 3l engine off Ebay and get in touch with some US-tuners (the turbo-kit sells around 5000 US$).

Grown up enough to take a 944 / 968 with 450/500 HP and tickle some Ferrari with it? Icing on the cake: 944/968/(928) are splendid cars that come with a badge and happily enough you don't pay for that badge the way the 911-folks do. :)

I stand behind Fraser Johnson on this one. Skoda-Pilot: get yourself a cheap reliable uninspriring run-a-bout and get a project which in about 3-4 years results in a weekend-monster.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

After years of owning 3 project cars and having none of them running and having to borrow the wifes Hyundai Excel to get to work that's my motto. And the WRX fits the cheap reliable uninspiring car bit. I just need to find myself a '71 Charger.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston