I'm an MX5 Poof....

Sold the Cinq earlier this week and appear to have put down a deposit on a Mk1 MX-5.

122k miles, history, new MOT, cheap as chips.

'Bought' unseen, aside from a phone call and photos, but it looks pretty good - certainly a lot better than the ropey one I looked at locally last night.

Anyway... enjoy.

SteveH

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 20:57:53 +0000, SteveH ranted:

Nice one. You'll love it. Join the OC - with Flux, it knocked my insurance down by more than the membership cost, buy bits from

and you'll not go far wrong. I found a strut-brace made a lot of difference, and a windblocker made it possible to drive around with the top down in just about any weather.

You know all that anyway.

Hope you're continuing to recover well from your recent "incident"

Reply to
Mike P

Insurance will be with A-Plan - unless Aviva can beat them by going direct.

I want business use, and K's litle non-fault prang in the Prius 12 months ago is still unsettled. Bloody pikeys.

A-Plan got it down to £308, incl. EU cover and EU breakdown.

Yup - must get the deflector ASAP, and a stick on front plate, proper rollover protection is a must, too.

Reply to
SteveH

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 21:38:27 +0000, SteveH ranted:

I stuck a Mad Dog roll cage on the 2nd one I had. Made me feel a lot safer, and really stiffened the car up. Apparently they're the bar to have, but they don't ship to the UK - I had it delivered to a friend in Pittsburgh who shipped it over for me.

Reply to
Mike P

And Aviva got it down to £210. Or £220 if I want to pay it monthly.

Reply to
SteveH

Welcome to the Clique.

I serviced mine last weekend and 'modded' it with a K&N panel filter.

I've had it nigh on 4 years, still makes me grin.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

That's one thing I miss out here - MX5s (Miatas in US-speak) are a lot more expensive out here. Actually that seems to go for most used cars.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Like Oz then, where a car you'd consider disposable, i.e. sub-1000GBP to run into the ground for a year and if it passes its MOT then that's a bonus type cars are really quite expensive. In the grand scheme of things it's better, as depreciation will cost you less on a new or younger used car. Which is why my usual 1000GBP maximum went totally out of the window when I finally bought a car here.

It also means older cars remain quite well maintained rather than run into the ground as it's worth keeping them nice when they retain decent value, otherwise you're flushing good money.

Reply to
fishman

Is that because the new cars sold per person per year is lower?

Higher demand would keep prices up.

Is there anywhere they salt the roads in OZ?

Bet cars in the USA "rust belt" don't hold value.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Looks good. Same colour as my fiancees. Do what I do and say it is the other halfs then drive it all the time with a huge grin.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No salted roads here which helps a lot. Besides old italian tat most stuff remains fairly rust free. MX-5s hold their value like nobodies business. My other halfs one she bought 2 years ago we could now probably sell for a profit. The only other option in a cheap convertible here is the Ford Capri which should of been called the Ford Crappee. Hateful front wheel drive Australian built piece of snot.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

BTW once you go jap you'll never go back. : P

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

They do, until they fall apart...

Unfortunately out here the higher value of the older used cars doesn't necessarily translate into people looking after them any better.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Right, here you go:

Spoiler is OEM optional fit.

Reply to
SteveH

How are they held in? Screwed down to the sheet metal underneath? Cords would look better run under the carpet. I'll get some pics and stick them up of the girlfriends.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Heavy duty velcro - the 'prickly' bit sticks like glue to the carpet.

I did think of going under the carpet with the wires, but that would have required holes being made and stuff, and I wasn't too sure where I'd finally want them locating.

Reply to
SteveH

Has it really been four years?!

Reply to
DervMan

A whole lifetime ago now, but yes.

The insurance expired on the 17th of March which is the anniversary of me buying it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne