I made him do it.....

My elder brother was looking for a new car.

An automatic.

He showed me a car he fancied and I gave him far too much encouragement.

So now he's bought it.

He doesn't do a great deal of miles a week, which is a good thing seeing it's a................

BMW

750i :-)

Yes, I know, it's an unmaintainable disaster area with two seperate ECUs for each bank of the V12 and many other similar things comensurate with a car which cost 50 grand new *in 1990* , but I've never driven a V12, so quite honestly, to get a chance at someone else's expense suits me fine. I believe single digit fuel consumption is very much a reality.

Watch this space etc.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Niiice. Good choice hehe. Spectaculary appropriate, been that his annual mileage is low :-) I can see why you want a go - I've never driven a V12 either. Will he blame you, and fall out with you if it all goes really wrong...?

Reply to
DanB

No, not at all. He's just as stupid as I am when it comes to buying the wrong car. And just as enthusiastic as me as well. When he showed me the advert, I said to him. "I remember Jeremy Walton testing this for Motor in 1990 and saying this costs 50 grand and has Buffalo hide interior, one day it will cost banger money." At that point, he more or less did the deal stright away.

Ever since reading that article, I have waited for this day. Brother says when he's finished with it I can have the engine.....

:-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well done... but your mom is going to have your brother's skin (for buying the barge) and yours (for encouraging him) too.

On the other hand: it is a BMW. Ignore (or try too) the electronic gremlins who will peep through the boardcomputer and diagnostic system ; the mechanical side of things is pretty bombproof.

Fuel consumption won't be that hard: around 15l /100 km when driven normally, your brother is going to feel like a prince.

Damned: if I wasn't making a living here, I could easily defect to the UK. Must come over soon, got some unfinished business there.

Tom -skinless - De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

She died many years ago at an age which most people would consider to be too young. That's why we need little encourgement to do daft things like buy V12 BMW or attempt to build bike engined cars.

As many people on here might testify, this life is not a rehearsal.

Anyway, his wife is quite cool about the whole thing so that's all the encouragement you need.

Right enough, I said it was a 2.5 litre and he muttered under his breath, "aye, per bank it is". :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

If you disconnect one of the ECUs does it use half the petrol?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Apparently they can run on 6 as a limp home thing.

To be honest, even if a couple of pots go down, how on earth would you tell ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

You mistake it for a diesel or VAG 1.4 FSI-T?

Reply to
DervMan

It will be down on top speed. The shortfall of it's usual max speed will indicate number of pots missing.

1 pot missing, power = 11/12, approx top speed = 97% 2 missing, power = 5/6, approx speed = 94% 3, 3/4, speed = 91% 4, 2/3, 87% 5 7/12, 83% 6 1/2, 79%

Back in 80's the Pirelli XJS would regularly return from a run on the A38 with a complaint that it was missing 4.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Well, we're unlikely to use that particular yardstick then :-)

Have to see what the chances of finding something simila to VAG Com are. Doubt it right enough.

Maybe I'm being stereotypical here, but I would hope a Bosch Motronic controlled car would be more likely to do as it should than a 80s Jag.

(If the above statement makes any sense at all.)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

If the motor's really going to be yours for peanuts and a pint it would be a great basis for a PPC £999 challenge car.

Fits in a you know what like it was meant to be there.

but it seems it's a girly car and conversion. Was 300bhp 1.8L 4 pot

it seems the potential 350-390bhp just wasn't enough for her soshe has a new engine.http://200sx.kicks-ass.net/album/album.php?username=cougar&cat=3315http://200sx.kicks-ass.net/album/album.php?username=cougar&cat=5080
Fast, Fit and Brains too (can tell from choice of car :-) [1]). Brings to mind the lines, "She was born to make it, I was born to lose" from Dr Feelgood's "She's A Wind Up".

[1] Don't mean she's not mad. OMG she's only gone an' called it MURPHY. Think it's a reference to RoboCop?
Reply to
Peter Hill

There's a bloke on Locostbuilders does that. Owelly is his usual name on various forums, he has the little plastic car, with the Alfa V6. Anyway, I sold him the Yokohamas that he used this year. Still think he managed some major spinnage right enough.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

V12 is the way forwards...

I've driven an XJS with a V12. Brilliant. Not as fast as it should be (but I think it was running the usual 10/12ths) but a great engine none the less.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Bob Sherunckle" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I gather most of 'em run on six these days anyway... Certainly the one a mate of mine had would only run on six. Wasn't always the same six, either!

Reply to
Adrian

That looks almost factory and so pretty with the led ropes.

Reply to
Elder

Just a shame it's only got four cylinders.

Reply to
Pete M

If I had the cash to fuel it, I always fancied an S600 (nice old bronze one near me) or a larger sized Hotrod (like a Pulman or a Pilot) with the Merc engine.

Reply to
Elder

I know there is a lot of lights in there pete, but surely even a blind ginger scouse could count pipes and get higher than 4. It has had a bit of an upgrade.

Reply to
Elder

That's the thing. SWMBO asked me (as she always does) if I approved and would I have bought it. As ever, I said that in different circumstances I would, but my driving habits mean that it would quite literally ruin me.

I'm 190 miles a week to get to work. Around 100 miles at work and then whatever I do at night or at weekends. If I do 400 miles a week, (ish) that would cost me around 100 quid a week. (Less a bit back for expenses).

Clearly a gassed up Golf is a bit cheaper to run. (Around 30 quid).

I will however familiarise myself with it. :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Likewise, even in the saab, 230-250 during the week, no driving at work=20 anymore now we have the jeep (boss is planning an early RX300/Harrier as=20 it's replacement when it dies as he had an SC430 before his DB9, his=20 missus has an RX350, and I had my barge Celsior and my GT4, so between=20 us we like the lex/toy cars for their bombprrof build and parts=20 availability), and only a couple of shopping miles most weekends.

Still costing me over =A340 a week, but not as bad as the =A360 the celsior= =20 was costing me. Still miss that silky smoothness arround town though,=20 but I just couldn't afford it.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder