I see why the W124 is so popular.

That car has 20,000 fewer miles on it than my Exploder. And it's in far worse condition than the Exploder.

The Exploder gets run off-road several times a week. Nothing has ever fallen off it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Has it been taken round MIRA though? Like it said in the video, they use the cobbles to age a vehicle drastically when it is new.

I think it came out ok.

Reply to
Elder

What's a Explorer got to do with comparing the quality of old Mercs against new? Is your Explorer 16 years old and cost £695? And 180000-167856=12144, not 20000

Reply to
John

Obviously not, because despite the fact it's just a car, it doesn't stand up to sustained abuse on a seriously bumpy/hard road as well as a big 4x4, which has big off road suspension and tyres. I can see that you might be thinking this is irrelevent seen as though they're completely different machines and one is designed for such abuse, and one isn't...

Reply to
DanB

A 180,000+ mile Explorer isn't going to cost you any more than £700 either. And although my particular Exploder isn't 16 years old, the crocky bitch was moaning that more recent cars are not built up to the same quality.

However you miss the point, and the short of it is that the much vaunted W124 is no better than a mass-market cheap car built down to a price.

Gasp, he can do arithmetic. Now try adding 20,000 to 167856.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Steve, I've just seen, and can't beleive that you've actually replied to the YouTube video talking about your Explorer... Dude that's not cool...

Reply to
DanB

Heavens above!

Reply to
Steve Firth

She wasn't moaning about more recent "cars" she said newer "Mercs". It's you that's missed the point, how can you compare driving a vehicle that's designed to be driven off road to a vehicle that's not? If you want to go willy waving about your car, it's best to make sure you have got something worth waving first.

Your incredibly uncool post on Youratube says 180000, obviously you must have meant almost 181000.

BTW, I've just found what must be the most boring video on Youratube,

, I mean, seriously, what made you thing that was worth posting?

Reply to
John

Because I'm told frequently that all Ford cars are junk, the Explorer particularly so, and that Fords are so badly built that they fal apart at the slightest hiccup. Apparently the interiors are crap, made from really cheap materials, and there's no way that the car will even begin to come close to such vehicles as those made by Mercedes for life in service.

So why, if all the above is true, and multiple individuals have assured me that it is, is someone getting excited about a Merc that's done

160,000 miles? Because the indication is that a badly built Ford can do that sort of mileage without showing even the slightest sign of wear and tear. Whereas the much-vaunted Mercedes W124 looked like a shagged out old dog of a car.

Perhaps you should engage your brain before making yourself look like a complete arse?

The Ford's done close to 190,000 miles, but where the point in obsessing about the last few digits?

What made you think it was worth commenting? Isn't your comment "uncool"? Isn't using the term "uncool" rather "uncool"?

Here's a clue n*****ts, the video had a purpose and YouTube was one way to share it. It made some people laugh, but you're not one of them because (a) you can't grasp the context and (b) you're so far up your own arse you can see sunshine when you yawn.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I think the bit with the baseball bat was truly unnecessary, as was trying to kill it...

The pavé and all that malarky was probably all they needed to do to prove the strength of a W124.

I can think of a lot of more modern stuff that would have kicked off with a billion electronic 'issues' if they'd done that to them.

Reply to
Pete M

Agreed but it wouldn't have made as "good" tv and she did look genuinely upset.

Yup, and part of the reason for my recent decission. It seems to me to be the kind of car I need. I always imagined they would handle badly but seeing that thrown around answers that one and I've always fancied one.

My reason for the hatred of really new cars however nice they might be otherwise.

Reply to
Elder

They handle very well once you're used to them. They initially feel like they just won't handle, but they do. They just discourage you as much as they can before going "Oh, f*ck it. Ok. I can do *this*". Don't expect to be entering drift competitions, but if you want to cover ground quickly whilst not noticing these are pretty good.

Reply to
Pete M