I seem to have bought myself an intercooler.

I bayed myself a nice one that should be small enough to fit below the bumper rail, inside the standard bumper bar below the front dam.

Dead chuffed. Just need to work out where to get some decent Ali or Stainless pipe for peanuts.

Will need to see the cooler and see what it need to hookup.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Ooohh i could probably work with that on the 19. I wouldn't be impressed with the different sixed inlets and outlets tho, could lead to some headaches matchin up pipework i imagine

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Possibly sold, yey!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 - But soon a fancy T28!1998 Audi A4 - For Sale

Reply to
Chet

In article , snipped-for-privacy@eircom.net spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

I'm probably going to have to go completly custom anyway, as nobody really makes FMIC kits for the non-Carlos Sainz ST185's anyway. And those that are available for CS tend to be cobbled together.

Will probably mock up the pipes in plastic as close as dammit first, then get them cut in Ali or stainless afterwards once I know what I need.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Eww plastic end tanks. Blew those twice on my Dedra. They leak a bit too.

Mind you, the Dedra has a stupid config for the IC - inlet and outlet both on the same side, with a curved endtank that "bounces" the boost back on itself and UP into the engine.

Bloody stupid design. The cooler air isn't going to rise is it?

My mum helped me rebuild it, bless her!

I strung a load of jubilee clips together to "strap" the IC. Didn't blow again and survived a 0.3 bar boost increase. I'd recommend you strap yours or get your metal work dude to weld on some metal end tanks (then you can have equal size inlet/outlet)

fishman

In article , snipped-for-privacy@me.not spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Should be alright. Some of the Saab 900 IC's were plastic, some where metal, the plastic ones leaked a little but flowed better. Neither of them caused much of a problem..

As standard it is only pushing something like 6-8psi. Thank shouldn't cause it to blow. The Saabs pushed 11PSI standard (about 0.8bar).

But I think I might try to get my hands on some steel strapping tape and clamp gun, and strap it too, to be on the safe side.

What I payed for it, I can take a chance or two.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

about 7psi i think standard but should be able to hold the same as a revision 2 MR2 turbo about

15-16psi which should give you 25-260bhp ;)
Reply to
Vamp

In article , snipped-for-privacy@none.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

2 MR2 turbo about

Yep. Should easily. A Simota cone filter (Australian version of a K&N because shipping and duty and the Aus$ makes K&N un competive price wise, but means we can get them dirt cheap), and an air meter adaptor are already on order. Add that to an FMIC + I may relocate the battery to the boot before the CarPC goes in so I can go for a short straight intake run and have more room for the IC pipe.

After that, it will be a Decat downpipe and exhaust system, and then maybe a unichip, FCD and a decent boost guage just to be on the safe side.

Hmm, loving this jap car stuff already.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Surely the cone filter, in the crazily hot Turbo engine bay, is just gonna totally knacker your intake temps ?

All the Turbo peeps I know, stick with the stock airbox, to keep things cool.

Reply to
Nom

Get some ali end tanks put on it. Plastic end tanks are evil and must die.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In article , snipped-for-privacy@jcis.com.au spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

LOL. I'll try it first and if it leaks boost, then so be it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

2 MR2 turbo about

It's reckoned that the ECU only has maps to 12-14 the the standard ST185 and 17psi for the Carlos Sainz.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar