I think after discussing on the retro-rides forums...

No they ask ridiculous prices for shonky old tat....

but it comes to buying they all want something for nothing, and even come with a DIY oil analysis kit.....on a 250 quid banger....do not let an 'owners club member' view your car under any circumstance :-)

Reply to
john

Considering a decent set of coil over suspension is going to be thousands you might as well just buy a decent car to start with.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

It works for me too.

I'd not worry about Doki's rants, every other word he drops refers to something being s**te, heh.

Any chassis flex will make revised suspension almost pointless. New dampers could work a treat.

You'll end up making a relatively flat torque curve rather peaky. So you can cruise nicely or drop it a gear or two and soot. Sounds perfect. ;)

Make sure it leaks diesel (fuel) a little so you can smear it all over your clothes, hands and face, though.

Reply to
DervMan

It'll be cheap to fuel but more because of the biodiesel option, since on ordinary mineral diesel they're not all that economical. They're a classic diesel in every sense too - noisy, sluggish, throbbing beasts. Perfect if you love your diesels.

To a degree, yes. But if you want to tune an old Volvo the petrol models make more sense... surely?

Ahhha. Somebody else also wanting a rear wheel drive diesel something. In the end I dropped the "rear wheel drive" from my list of requirements and necessary compromises. I still bought Swedish mind you... :)

Not brilliant as a reputation.

Reply to
DervMan

About =A3600 for KW or any of their clones. And ony when it needs doing.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

I want RWD again because I loved to drive it. Diesel will tip the edge just in favour of allowing me to actually drive for fun again. Nipping out for a run when I need to relax instead only driving for work.

I'm not bothered about noise, it will just be a different experience for me. Yes a petrol would be better for tuning, but it would be more costly to run as well. I have a GSF, Eurocarparts and Partco all within a short drive and a Volvo dealer in the town for any parts I might need. I quite fancy the simplicity of an older diesel engined car. Not as much computers linked into everything. I always dismissed diesels for myself, even though I passed in one. But I reckon now is the time try the dark side. My uncle used to drive BL/Rovers until he got a BX TD. He worked for Foden at the time as a fitter, so he could do all service and rebuild work needed himself. Since then he has sworn by big Cit dervs. Some one on Retro rides suggested a CX turbo2 diesel. Sounded fun but a little rare and complex if things go bad.

Reply to
Elder

I wanted rear wheel drive so that people didn't accuse me of running a front wheel drive diesel family car...

Actually I wanted rear wheel drive because front wheel drive feels so wrong...

Okay okay I wanted rear wheel drive because it's a good thing and BMWs have it...

Thing is, there's wanting rear wheel drive, but I decided that rear wheel drive and non-sporting diesel car were combinations because the rest of the range has rear wheel drive, not because it was necessarily a good thing. It wasn't difficult to drop it from the list of "wants" when I was replacing the Accord.

Naturally enough I had a bias, I didn't want a BMW and I also had a budget. The choice gets narrow very quickly.

My conclusion with a rear wheel drive diesel that would fit my other requirements was that it would either lack the power so as to feel rear wheel drive, or it would be relatively thirsty and wouldn't achieve what I was trying to do (reduce running costs). Larger capacity indirect injection donks can be terrible for this (think: Omega 2.5 TD say).

Okay, whilst I understand that you enjoy your driving, I'm not convinced that you'd really be able to tell that the 740 or 760 diesel is rear wheel drive unless being daft on a slow, wet and greasy roundabout. It just isn't powerful enough. Or in the snow. Then it'll be great fun.

You're as well to get a Transit van. Hmm that isn't such a bad idea actually. :)

Some people despise the diesel noise. I don't mean the rattle when you're idling, especially when cold, but that muted grumbly throbby sensation that almost all diesels have under load. Some people take to it nicely, some people don't want to take to it and despise the noise.

LPG? Or get something on LPG.

Well, yes - but some older diesels require small children to change the glowplugs or fuel filter because the installation is very compact. And whilst there is less technology involved in the engine, it'll depend on the car in question. The Mondeo TD isn't much simpler than the petrol equivalents; simplicity comes with the generation of the machine rather than the engine for the most part.

The BX TD was (is) a great piece of kit apart from...

...aside the reputation for expensive repair bills.

Reply to
DervMan

I keep getting turned to volvo turbo petrols. I want a diesel, with a turbo, with RWD, lower price range, a manual, and not a BMW.

Doesn't leave much, then I see the badbrick/turbobricks and while some have nice diesel modded cars, think Hmm tidy, then someone waves a 760 or 960 petrol turbo and it all gets hazy again. Petrol turbo ovloV, loads of fun modding potential for massive tuning, comfort, RWD, no economy if hoofed. Diesel turbo ovloV, less tuning potential, better economy, even cheaper to buy.

Reply to
Elder

A local place is advertising a Rover 200Vi with an LPG conversion.

Factor in =A3300 for a proper head gasket replacement at some stage, and I reckon that could be quite a decent buy if you're not anti FWD for the sake of it.

Hmm.... might go and have a look at it in a bit, actually.

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I wouldn't imagine a volvo diesel would provide any fun. With a 940 turbo it's only noticeably rear wheel drive on wet roundabouts or when you provoke it or with utterly shit tyres. It feels to big to properly hustle down country roads, doesn't want to go round bends that quickly and the brakes aren't really up to dealing with vigorous driving. It's only just got enough power to make reasonable progress with 170 bhp so I'd think the diesel would feel very slow. It's still sort of fun in the

940 though as people don't seem to expect them to be able to travel at all quickly. A lpg'd 960 turbo would make much more sense if you care about economy and some fun.
Reply to
James Grabowski

I can only offer suggestions...

Correct. There's the Volvo models, the Omega, Sierra, even the Rover 2000 (except I suppose it's a 2400 heh), the Granada, the Carlton, a bunch of Mercs including the Smart CDI.

LPG turbo Volvo, combines the best of both?

Reply to
DervMan

It looks solid enough, no fagburns or obvious car park dings, and it has a receipt for =A3540 relating to a full head skim and gasket replacement, together with belt change etc. from about February.

The LPG was done in 2004 at cost around =A31420 - all certified, 58 litre tank.

They want =A31595 for it.

I don't think this is too bad for a 200Vi really, especially as it's got a proper LPG conversion and I reckon =A31350 waved under their nose would take it.

A decat, induction kit and bigger throttle body should see it somewhere around 155bhp when run on petrol.

Not too sad in something so small and light.

--=20 JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Startup -

-
see what you mean about proper old diesel.Sounds like a taxi. Strangley, perversly nice.

Reply to
Elder

YKIMS. I like my diesels to be diesely...

Reply to
DervMan

Yup, and a Carlton 2.3TD would totally tick the "lack the power" box! And like you say, you didn't want a BMW.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Correct. 100 bhp isn't it? But, like I said, there's just not much of a choice.

Actually I'd have a previous, previous generation BMW 325tds. Or a first UK generation 525tds either.

Reply to
DervMan

Doubt it - probably nearer 80-85bhp - possibly 90 at a real push.

Aye, but like you say, they don't really do economy.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

*shudder*

That's one of the bacofoil, rot-prone, heaps of shit known as an E36, isn't it?

Reply to
SteveH

To you, possibly...

The rest of the world don't mind them though.

Reply to
Iridium

BX TD is about a billion times more reliable than a CX TD - the latter had a problem with porous blocks, and the BX was galvanized, had a better handbrake arrangement, was much newer and rather more mainstream (!), all of which which makse for fewer problems. Which is a massive shame, coz I lust after a CX TD safari...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George