I think after discussing on the retro-rides forums...

I have no idea what the designation is. But if you dislike it, it's bound to be a good car... :p

Reply to
DervMan

Or it's a good thing if you keep telling us about it, we'll avoid the CX and aim for the BX.

I was close to buying a petrol (shudder) BX a number of years ago come to think of it.

Reply to
DervMan

Oi!!!!!!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Cheaper for a reason, and runinous when they invaribly go wrong.

Cheap to buy is never a sign of good value for money. Did you mom never teach you anything?!?!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I deal with a 96P 960 3.0 V90 on lpg. I daresay its got most of its original

200 or so BHP, and despite 280k on the clock, still goes, stops and handles semi-convincingly.

Worth a look; some minters about for not alot if you look hard.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Always use a condom. If it is good enough for horses to eat it probably won't kill you. If you are going to curse someone, make sure they stay cursed. and If you are suffering from terminal cancer, do it quietly were ever possible.

Reply to
Elder

Cheap is not a sign of good value for money. You said so yourself.

Reply to
Elder

I had a Petrol BX till reasonably recently, it was a great car.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I think he was shuddering at petrol rather than at the BX. I could be wrong though.

Reply to
Iridium

I've had two petrol BXs in my time. That's a total of three different ones between me and Douglas.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've got 2!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Three petrol and two diesel BX's here. All as company vehicles except for the BX GTi I bought for myself. £1600 for a one year old car with 60,000 on the clock. I didn't expect much from it TBH but I drove it until it had

140k on the clock and then sold it for £1000 to a bloke at work. He still drives it and he rang me not long ago to say it now has 230k on it. The only problem it suffered from while I had it was worn valve guides. He says he's replaced the alternator. Apart from that it has a rusty sunroof frame apparently but he's fitting one from a scrappy to keep it running.

Of the others one suffered a hydraulic leak but that was after some prat forced me off the road and up a bank in a narrow lane so I don't think that counts as a breakdown.

It's a fine line but I think I preferred the GTi, TZD Turbo and 16-valve in that order. The 16 Valve was a monster for its day but a bit too chest wig for my liking.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I mistyped something - that meant to read "That's a total of two different ones between me and Douglas". I quite fancy another 16v.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Ok, seeing we're in self help group mode, I'll confess to a BX 1.4 Leader.

That was with the original revolving drum speedo and the crazy pod mounted controls.

Mine had no synchro on second and a curiously delaminated windscreen. Like that when I got it, like that when I sold it - to a friend - a couple of years after. Like that when he sold it to his sister a few years later. Being a carburetted model set up for economy, it practically pinked at tickover on a closed throttle.

Anyway - I liked my BX. Always promised my self GTI 16V which never happened and never will now. But, two cars later I did buy an XM..... Had that for 3 years and strangely enough it wasn't the white knuckle ride of depreciation I had expected. Lost two grand in 3 years.

Proper Citroens are a bit unhinged, but also a bit addictive as well.

I suspect Ye Olde Saab will only meet half of those criteria.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

My black one will be for sale as soon as I get my arse in gear and get it finished off! Early in the new year hopefully

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

They're not that rot prone, tbh.

The fact your brothers one was, means little other than given everything else you told me about that one, it had obviously been treated like s**te most of its life.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Ok. The car's a good 10 years newer than my s**te old 340, but it was about the same interior. Seats are alright, nothing particularly special IMO. They're slow, roly poly barges, with vinyl interiors. If I were going for a RWD banger (which is what a 740 or 940 is), I'd get a Merc 190 or E30 3 series. If I wanted massive cruising comfort, I'd get a Jag, but the fuel is ridiculously expensive.

Re the modding a diesel veg oil 940/740, you really do live in a fuckign dream world sometimes...

Reply to
Doki

You do know there are several 12 second drag 760 diesels in Germany and the States running nothing more than the "pin and timing cam" mod on the fuel pump head and a manual boost controller.

Technically they are street legal but do smoke more than a very smokey thing on 80 a day in a kipper smoking plant with a smoke bomb.

Oh, andout of the dream and back in the real world 2 years ago, people laughed when told that grandad's old 340/360 would be retro cool and desired for rallying, drifting and generally arsing about RWD style. But they are.

Reply to
Elder

So? Still more than it's worth doing to a knackered old Volvo.

They are are they?

Reply to
Doki

I think about 1-2 hours fitting of cheap parts.

Oh yes. one of the most popular cars amongst those who don't crave the latest Fuxall Splashback, or Garlicpress 20cruddo.

Reply to
Elder