I think if the Saab goes........

I may be looking at a Favorit Blackline.

Specs are as such

136 SPi engine based on Bosch Monotronic.

Interior specs Central Lock Tinted glass Rear smoked lens Central console Leather gear knob Leather steering wheel edge Blaupunkt stereo / door speakers c/w extra tweeters Cigarette lighter Front fog lamps Lip underneath front bumper Glass sunroof Semi bucket front seats Headlamp washers

Just a little better than my old Forum that was white, faded, scratched, and had a brown and beige plastic interior with matching deckchairs.

Silverline models were similar specs, but featured clear rear indicators.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Get a real Skoda, with the engine in the silly place!

I've had a couple, and they were great, if gutless.

Reply to
Stuffed

snip

Now that's just silly - this car car has far too many weight-adding toys already! ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

In article , snipped-for-privacy@rootmeanSORRYSPAMSOFFsquared.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You might be surprised. As standard Base models came with a blanking section on the dash (not just a popout disc), and behind it a trianglular socket that you used find on old caravans and trailer.

You bought the complete lighter, with plastic dash surround area, and the triangular plug, and it slotted in, except they stopped making them a long time before all the favies sold out.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@theworld.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Would love a proper one. And that is where my non turbo Saab heart is.

But I found this on the Ellri site.

The kit costs (at present Koruny to GBP exchange) £220 for the front and back bumper, side skirts, and arches. the boot spoiler is a further £60, or £90 if you want a real Carbon centre section, plus £20 for the smooth mirror covers. Plus of course shipping and tax.

Now the real clever trick would be, order now at todays price, but ask them to hold shipping until after May 1st. CZ enters the EU then. So no import duty or VAT to pay on shipping. Of course it also means they get the euro, so prices will rocket, so order and pay now, and ship when there is no extra VAT to pay :)

although a tidy Rapid (especially a Sport or a Cab) with some Ellri Body kitting might be quite nice too.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Do these things really sell a car to people - I'd have thought they were pretty normal things to find these days.

Instead of a gaping hole?

Cheap to add tat that justified the inflated price of a pretty nasty car at the time.

Hmmmm. Early 90s Blaupunkt can be pretty dire. I've ripped out 3 such units and binned them in the last couple of years.

What?!

Don't have a car with these anymore. Not that I ever used them anyway.

More stick-on tat.

Not a big fan of glass roofs. Prefer a proper metal job. Is it tilt and slide or a poverty pop-up job?

Often wondered what qualifies a seat to be 'semi bucket' myself - seems to mean they have a token gesture of side support rather than bugger-all.

Limited use - but made people thing they had bought an upmarket vehicle!

I wouldn't myself. But it depends on how much difference a few quid a week in petrol will make to you.

There's no money in this world would have me choose a throwback to agricultural Commie attempts at 'modern' cars over a Saab.

Reply to
SteveH

I hate to agree with the Wop-Lover ( ;) ), but hes right. Sweet christ man, get a grip! I bet the Favorit is worse than the Felicia, and the Felicia LXi 1.3 that i had as a courtesy car was SO bad i could not wait to get my Triumph Acclaim back. Seriously, it was that bad, it was ridiculously slow, even compared to the twin carb acclaim, and as for the handling, well, it had none...

Lord, don't do it, please, no one deserves to suffer like you will, losing the Saab and being forced into this. Please...no....

Reply to
Dan405

Normal now. Not always standard in a 10 year old car that you can find for £500 with less than 40k on the clock.

Instead of a plain empty area below the dash and infront of the gear lever like the Forum and other poverty spec models had.

The guy that supplied the info is a non native english speaking Maltese. I think he means leather rimmed wheel.

Don't worry I would transfer my Modena and decent speakers straight in.

Not a standard fitting. Most of the baser models had a removable piece of blanking trim, you removed the whole trim piece and slotted the whole lighter model from the dealer straight in. Even modern Fabia and Octavia models don't have a lighter element supplied. They fit the socket, but put in a plastic blank, marked as a power outlet rather than a lighter.

Like wise, but most people add them, so better to have factory ones than some ones Idea of kevved up LED cruise lights.

I think he means bumper/spoiler/airdam. They all had them as standard as do most cars, but they paid attention to looks on the LTD models.

It will be a pop-up or remove one. Better than none at all though, much as I prefer metal.

The original Skoda Favorit seats where like deck chairs. If these are like Rapid seats, they will be very supportive.

Again, better than not being there at all.

A lot TBH. I'm pretty much broke. One major repair and it could bust things. I'm not expecting one. But it is always the unexpected that catches you.

If you haven't driven one you wouldn't know. They are actually competant. not great, but do the job. I imagine the blackline models are even better. You can drive a surpising distance without feeling at all tired at or over the motorway limit. You don't get luxuries (except maybe in the special editions) but you get a basic competance, from a company that is the second oldest surviving manufacturer in the world.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You get hopelessly outclassed ride, handling, build quality and refinement. Really nasty things. I thought about a Felicia fun at one point a couple of years back, as the flat rear deck appealed to me. But I've never driven such a horrible pile of old tat in my life - bearing in mind that we used to have a a MkII Fester, then that's saying something.

Under £500 buys a lot of very nice car these days - although the Primula doesn't do much for me, it's a competent, very well equipped, reasonably quick commuting hack, that will probably last another 80k miles with no expense.

Reply to
SteveH

Under £500.00 ! ;-)

Just taken my "fleet" to three for the massive outlay of £10.50 on my third vehicle.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Where the hell do you get a decent motor for that kind of money :) Tell me quick, I'll have one, would be a welcome replacement to the Pug 405 estate with knackered gearbox.....

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

In article , snipped-for-privacy@karman.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Go, what is it? Sounds like my kind of Car. BTW, that £500 can be from a used car dealer, feature a long ticket, and usually get 6 months tax thrown in if you haggle.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I never said it was decent. ;-)

Polo CL 1.3 1987 3 door "bread van".

It's a pile of s**te but I took a battery and some petrol stuck battery on and drove off (quarter tank still in it).

No tax or test - hey I'm allowed to break the law once a year drove it the 30 odd miles home no problem.

I want it to goto the tip in for a bit as it's messing my Scirocco up chucking bags of rubble/plaster and general crap from doing up my house in the back, nevermind the wood I rescue from the estate at work.

I figure an 8 yard skip is £120.00 so I could spend that getting it mot'd and then tip whenever i needed to without worrying about stuff spilling or the Sc. getting scratched. It's a couple of miles to tip on country lanes so just a few mins trip.

Think brakes need bleeding at least as they got a bit spongy and there's some nasty rust but I can practise welding with my new welder and not worry too much about mistakes. I've some welding to do on my MKI Scirocco so need the practise.

My ride there and covering driver back from fetching it Amanda said it gave off the odd puff of smoke but it's over 100K so to be expected.

I just think it's funny you can buy "big" stuff albeit a bit battered for less than you spend on a tank of petrol or 6 months tax etc.

Plus I felt left out with only one car for a sig!! ;-)

Room when drive's levelled off for another two cars...

Mark S. Scirocco 1.6GT MKII (49K) Scirocco 1.8 (teehee) MKI Storm (in for resto). Polo 1.3CL (Volks mobile skip wagen).

Reply to
Mark S.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@karman.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Nice to see that Skoda's Parent company are getting bought as Skips now, instead of Skodas :)

Sounds like a nice find. Good man. Get it through the test ASAP, and see what it needs.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Best finds are stuff on ebay that no one will "fetch" as they aren't local. Like the pile of MKII bits I got for £9 odd.

Just need someone to steal/take the 2.0 Manta GTE engine and box on my drive, that safe round here it's been there two weeks now. Bugger.

I'm going to have a poke round the Polo tomorrow and see what's what.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Not sure I'd say decent, but the Mini I got free is still going as well as ever, and the free Triumph 1300fwd that needs a new brake disc still starts first time, I just need to get the brakes sorted.

The bargains are out there, the Mini came with umpteen months MOT (although I have found a small patch needed on one inner arch), the Triumph is tax exempt and had about 10 months MOT, just needs me to get round to it or 50 quid at a garage to see it on the road.

Of course, I've got some very tired cars for free too, but that's all part of the fun. Especially when you can sell them on when you realise you haven't got the time or space to fix them :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Right, I need to start looking in different places :) I thought my Montego TD was a bargain at £230 but then again that passed it's MOT first time with not a lot done.

Any tips?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Get two cars for a start then you'll be falling over them... ;-)

Ebay for stuff that's near enough to pickup without having to get it transported. User groups for cars you like, some cheap stuff on those usually.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

In article , snipped-for-privacy@karman.demon.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

And go for cars that aren't popular. They may be fine engineering/structure wise, they may drive not too bad, but when you look at them, you think the designer must have been on very bad drugs that day.

Hence Skoda (bad reputation, quite often unjustly earned), Lada (not bad towards the end, still basic and agricultural to they do what they are supposed to), 80's VWs if you can find say a Polo or a Scirroco when everyone one wants MK1/2 Golf GTIs, Older Audis with good history are the good solid few quid cheap buys, and 70's Mercs that need a bit of TLC, and you have good knowledge of the GSF/Eurocarparts catalogue, and don't mind using non original parts. Thirsty cars usuaully go for peanuts these days, so what you save on the car, you pay on fuel and roadtax.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

!!!!!!!!

Have you gone mad ?

You're considering changing your SAAB Turbo for the steaming pile of underpowered s**te that is the Favorit Blackline ?

Reply to
Nom