I think the LS400 thread.....

Has been the longest and most active thread not contaminated by Ken that this Newsgroup has had for a while.

It even appears to have brought out some Lurkers, New blood, and old hands.

I think I just may have done something right. I would still like one though. I can't believe nobody suggested if I insisted on a lexus look at a GS300 though. I don't like them, but I'm surprised nobody suggested it.

Reply to
Elder

Hey Carl,

I've had a thought. I know you had/have your heart set on an LS400, but have you thought of an IS200 at all?

Reply to
conkersack

Don't like them, they don't quite look right. Almost like a 3 series compact and because they are semi sensible they hold their price. I admit I would be tempted by an Altezza RS200 though. Not for looks but because they are interestingly different and a but rare. More of a drivers car too, rather than a fair pretence at a wafty luxury compact.

Reply to
Elder

Obviously what you need is one of these:

I've yearned for one since I were a nipper.

Reply to
conkersack

I can see so many bits of so many cars in the there. And I'm not sure it is the right bits ;)

Reply to
Elder

You'll get over it. use your martial arts meditation techniques. And soon you will be getting all the "Christmas barbie on the beach" gats to take your mind off it.

Reply to
Elder

I quite fancy one now, too.

Reply to
conkersack

viva la Revolution.

Reply to
Elder

And it prompted me to look at some. Bastard. Now I know a GTR and a big luxury sedan are within my reach. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

I don't like 'em either. I *do* like the LS400 though.

AFAIC the only decent thing about the GS300 is the Nakamichi stereo, and I've got one of those in my dead 190E.

Reply to
Pete M

Dead 190E? What happened? Thought it was a goodun?

Reply to
Elder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Elder wittered on forthwith;

I appear to have annoyed the head gasket fairy.

Water pump has always been a bit noisy, but it's unusual to find a Merc with an M102 or M103 engine that doesn't have a slightly noisy pump. It looks like I've waited too long to change the pump...

Still, I shall be driving the Scirocco for a while, and looking for a W124 with a 2.3 8v lump in for a transplant.

'ang on, that means it'll be modified....

Reply to
Pete M

Yea I like IS200s - they look sweet - especially lowered a bit on some nice

19s.

Ah, but I bet it has soft touch plastics and fuckloads of cupholders.

Reply to
Iridium

Seriously - Have you sat in a recent Toyota for any length of time?

They look and smell like a branch of Dixons.

Reply to
SteveH

Thats the point of them though. You service them to factory spec (not necessarily with factory dealers, you should know that as an Alfa nut) and pay when needed (few hundred a year) and be prepared for an expense or two in weighty parts, or tune the bugger out of it and modify the SOB using factory (or approved tuner) motorsport parts made especially for it, like TRD, and Tom's which will also cost a whack or two. But either way it isn't a quick fix and profit car, it is something you can keep for a long time because they last for a long time. Apparently they are like big Mercs, the engines are designed to last for 250k with nothing more than belt changes. The auto boxes last well, and the shells don't rust. Suspension is hard worked but even if it has the air option and it fails, there are coilover conversions with kits to use the factory damping adjust control so you can have a "sporting" barge should you wish. I know it wouldn't be a cheap car to own, but it would be a car to own for a long time. You either buy it dislike it and sell it on for the same money, quickly, or you keep it, and keep it, and keep it.

Reply to
Elder

Only meditation in brazilian jiu jitsu is getting choked unconcious and I try and make that happen to the other guy. Of course barbies on the beach are awesome and I'm taking a couple of well earned weeks off at christmas. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

UKNova seconded here, all episodes of Wheeler Dealers, Autotrader and others are capped and made available. Good stuff...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)