Ideas on next car

Colostomy?

Reply to
Doki

and c) has no relevance.

Reply to
Mason

no actually :o) bag on head to prevent people from seeing I..

a - own a fiat b - drive a coupe

I know they are quick but that ainbt the be-all and end-all.

Reply to
Mason

Erm, the driveshafts may well be the same, but that proves f*ck all about them being geared the same. If whoever said one will do 60 in 2nd and one won't is correct, then clearly they're geared differently. Unless the drag coefficients is vastly different between the two :-)

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So, do the 106GTi and the Saxo VTS have identical gear ratios?

There's only one way to find out...........FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh. that'd work ;o)

Reply to
Mason

I know it was just showing they were similar.. i'm still looking for part numbers for the gearboxes ;o)

I've owned both. and both would hit 60 in second.

Reply to
Mason

I'd be incredibly tempted if I was doing less commuting. Although it'd be a fantastic commuting vehicle, my petrol expenses wouldn't cover a

2.8 litre six.

At around £4k as opposed to close on £30 for a new one, an 8 year old

728i makes a lot of sense to me.
Reply to
SteveH

Is that all they were new? I'd have thought 35-40k.

I'll ignore the obvious joke that they've appreciated from thirty quid new to 4 grand at 8 years old.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not sure for the 728, to be honest - I really can't see why anyone would pay that much for the 'poverty' model, IYSWIM.

Heh.

Reply to
SteveH

They're also challenging. The demand to be driven hard - a bit like the Peugeot 205 GTI. Both whisper "pussy" if you're less than 100% devoted to getting the most from it after a drive (except the Fiat is lots quicker and not so reliable).

Reply to
DervMan

That's 60 indicated.

The difference is in the 0 - 62 genuine mph...

Reply to
DervMan

Less reliable than a 205 GTi? Bloody hell!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

He bought it for about twelve grand as I recall. At the time, did around

8,000 miles a year so thought "what the heck" with regard to the petrol. The servicing on them is rather high, and the tracking was out so he went through front tyres in about a year, too.

But at the end of the day he reckoned the 7-series was a much better car to own than the 3-series he could have had within the company car scene.

Then his mileage trebled, so he bought a MINI One and kept the 728 for, well, I'm not really sure why...

Reply to
DervMan

Hmmmm, the Fiat 5-cylinder engine is pretty damned bulletproof, just needs expensive cambelt changes. I certainly wouldn't say it's less reliable than a 205GTI, just needs a bit more TLC, as you'd expect from a 200-odd bhp 5-cylinder lump. It's the closest thing out there to a FWD supercar.

Reply to
SteveH

:o) I facking love 205 GTi's. one of my all time favorite cars (that i've driven)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Er, not it's not.

I suggest you go and do some research !

No it is NOT.

Box is the same, but the ratios are different.

Reply to
Nom

You sir, are unfortunately the muppet.

The 106 GTi and Saxo VTS do indeed have differing gear ratios !

Go and do some research !

Reply to
Nom

They are !

They're not :)

Reply to
Nom

They're allright, aren't they? I turned a late 1.9 in metallic silvery colour down when hot hatch insurance was truly excessive.

One of the few machines best left standard.

Reply to
DervMan