IMprove cornering on ML 350?

Hello all

I have a MB ML 350 and was wondering if anyone had (or could suggest routes to) reducing body roll in corners. I have seen shorter, harder springs available online for this car but is this sufficient? Would I needs new shocks or an anti roll bar etc? Or is it a case of the more I spend, the less roll I will get?

Cheers all

-- Christopher Thirkell Managing Director - Bespoke Packaging Limited Tel: 01268 412255 / Fax: 01268 412822

Reply to
CT

No rules mate, post/reply where you want, let the anally-retentive wankers whinge all they want about it, it's quite funny to watch :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

What's so anally retentive about expecting people to post in the correct place?

Do you always answer questions before they've been asked?

Top Posting just shows a complete lack of understanding of the ways in which usenet works.

Bottom posting allows people to properly follow the conversation even if posts go missing, as they often do.

I'd also suggest you try a text to speach reader, as used by the visually impaired, and try following a thread that doesn't follow the (correct) bottom posting conventions.

Reply to
SteveH

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

If you want proper cornering performance sell the ML and buy a car better suited to your needs. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

Reply to
SteveH

If you have no knowledge of cars or their modification, fishman, please let me know and I will desist wasting your time in asking you questions.

As for the original question, would replacement, improvement springs give much of a difference or is it a suck it and see scenario?

Cheers all

-- Christopher Thirkell Managing Director - Bespoke Packaging Limited Tel: 01268 412255 / Fax: 01268 412822

Reply to
CT

I know that the ML is never going to be great on cornering, it outshifts my CLK in a straight line which is nice, but obviously doesnt compete on corners. I am not after racing it, that is what my CLK is for, but I would like to reduce roll in corners. Replacement springs are not expensive, but I was trying to get any feedback I could on them before relpacing them.

-- Christopher Thirkell Managing Director - Bespoke Packaging Limited Tel: 01268 412255 / Fax: 01268 412822

Reply to
CT

"CT" wrote

There is no current Mercedes-Benz that goes round corners that well unless you buy one with McLaren in the name. However, you can probably go to your dealers and ask them to fit you a spring and damper kit off the ML55 AMG, or perhaps even something Brabus.

Just replacing the springs isn't a good idea - it's best to get matched springs and dampers. If an uprated anti-roll bar is available then you should fit one, again an AMG or Brabus unit. There might only be one on the front, so see if a rear one is fitted, and if so, if it can be upgraded.

I did read quite a scientific article concluding that making some of these changes (IIRC particularly the anti-roll bar) will affect how the vehicle corners in the wet (for the worse) though. Perhaps some other more technically aware contributors can verify this?

I hope you liked my previous response to your question. I thought it was customary to flame new posters with (sometimes stupid) questions relating to their poor choice of car. I found amusement in the responses of people, very much like those of the white middle class "Politically Correct" set who get terribly offended over somebody referring to somebody of afro-caribbean descent as "black". You still could have spent your 30 odd grand on something better than an ML though. I suppose you could give some of it to me as I can only afford a £150 MK2 Golf.

Reply to
fishman

Nothing, but whinging about it and "demanding" that others post using the conventions that you adopt is a bit tho ;)

Nope, I read the post that comes before it for the question, my attention span can handle that.

Or a good understanding without the sheep-like "must follow convention" attitude.

So you want me to tailor my posts for people who haven't got a decent newsfeed ?

Why ? I'm not blind. Although if any blind car modifiers are having problems with my posts, mail me and I'll do my best to unbefuddle you :)

There are much worse and confusing "styles" to post in on usenet, some of the worst being under-over snippage, snipping the name/addy of the person you're replying to (I don't see you having a dig at Lordy for this ;) if it bothered me that much I'd killfile the people who posted in these styles but I'd miss some of the biggest characters in here. Life's too short, you've probably spent more time whinging about top posters than they've actually inconvenienced you.

Reply to
Tony Bond

May be one accepted convention on usenet but show me anywhere that says it's a rule and I'll bottom post all the time. I normally just post where it's easiest to read.

You'll have to translate that acronym you made up, not even Google recognises it.

Reply to
Jack

Because he's a coward that feels safe hiding behind his keyboard.

Reply to
Jack

Its usenet ffs! Thats what its here for

-- Chet

HF Integrale 16v - Gettin there!1993 Renault 19 16v - Subtle extras like a T3 ;)1998 Audi A4 - I don't know why, but i did.

Reply to
Chet

I must tell you Steve it's actually easier for Blind people to follow top postings :)

Theres a guy on Blueyonder who stated this, as it means it doesnt have to read all the other posts to get to the one in question.

But as for us able bodied gents, bottom posting is better, as well as snipping :)

Reply to
Ronny

For example people who don't know not to top post. Bottom posting is the convention on urcm and most news groups learn to use it as it's easier to follow.

Reply to
Depresion

Sell it and get a C320 estate you'll get better 0-62 a higher top speed better handling and better MPG and still have good load lugging. You will also be 3 times less lightly to kill someone in the event of an accident.

Reply to
Depresion

The best option would be to get down to an MB dealership, and enquire about getting Brabus or AMG suspension (the full set) and possibly brakes fitted.

Hope you have a Black AMEX card, and a Crash cart to hand when you do. It won't be cheap, this in't just a budget set of KYBs and Jamex springs you want to be slapping on if you want the car to retain any residual value

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

That's why people should also snip properly - take out enough to make the post readable, but keep enough in to keep context.

Perhaps you'd also consider a decent newsreader that knows how to snip signatures, too, then ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote

Didn't Lamborghini do a 4X4?

Reply to
fishman

Yeah yeah replying to my own post, but what with Lambo now being part of VAG, perhaps they will turn out a Cayenne type vehicle?

Porsche Cayenne... weird concept. Bit like Land Rover producing a rear engined sports car.

Reply to
fishman

Aye - was more of a Hummer competitor rather than a road going 4x4, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Not quite rear engined.... but the same company did produce the MGF.

It's not _that_ strange given the 959 if you think about it.

Reply to
SteveH