IMprove cornering on ML 350?

'Inline' posting is just a form of bottom posting - only you're replying to individual paragraphs / sections of the post under the relevent bit.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd be fairly sure the springs and dampers are soft, so stiffer, lower (to compensate out ride height due to stiffening) springs and suitably uprated dampers will almost certainly trade ride comfort for less roll. HST, this would not be a smart move for offroading and might do bad things to the handling while improving grip.

The only people who will know where they drew the lines during testing will be MB because nobody else will have been customising them in that way.

An easier way to get a similar effect is to put lower profile tyres and wheels on. I'd expect the current wheels to have biggish sidewalls for offroading and this provides quite a bit of compliance in the suspension. Put some "rubber bands" on instead with the same diameter and this will make the vehicle a bit stiffer with less cost and you can put it back to how it was yourself with nothing lost but the price of a set of wheels (call it five hundred to a grand, not counting resale value.)

(P.S. don't post your real life details on usenet. It's not wise.)

Reply to
Questions

I believe it could climb small vertical rock walls couldn't it, it was that big?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

LM002. Always sticks in my mind because I remember laughing out loud on a plane whilst reading a review of it in a car magazine - I'm guessing this was 10 or 15 years ago, when it probably cost £30 or less to fill the average car. The copy was something like:

"It's just cost me £147.23 to fill it up. I wouldn't mind so much, but it cost me £118 to do the same yesterday...."

Reply to
Grant

I actually saw one of those in the flesh once, in Norwich of all places. No idea who owned it but it was _seriously_ cool, in a "banana republic dictator" kind of way.

Reply to
Pete MC

I'm sure you meant bottom-posting there, didn't you?

Reply to
SteveH

Bloody bloody good point that. I tend to be a bit shit as far as putting my point across, and could have argued the case for top-posting til the cows come home (and they're currently stuck in a flood somewhere, so could be some time), and that is the best common sense argument for top-posting I've ever seen. The "I'll pots where the f*ck I like, why does it matter" brigade would have a tough time trying to say you're wrong on that point, even if they can make paper-thin flimsy arguments against all the other common-sense reasoning.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

And ironically enough, for the entire length of that post, you posted in the correct order.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I dunno, a lot of the "noise" makes newsgroups like this what they are, things like the odd humourous/sarcastic comment. They make the day go quicker.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Jack, you have AIDS

Hope you get better soon.

BJJ

Reply to
bjj

I wouldn't bother trying to post with humour in the future. There's a big difference between some light hearted humour at the expence of someones car and just being plain abusive with personal insults. I have no idea how you could even think that this has anything to do with political correctness.

Reply to
Jack

Well f*ck me sideways, even the 10 year olds are trying to flame me now :-)

Reply to
Jack

Show how much you know and how many current MBs you've driven. Current C and E class are as good as current 3 and 5 series. Current CLK is ok as a touring coupe, the current SLK is rated as being top of the class alongside the Boxster (although I prefer mid engined balance so would buy the Boxster were I to ever have the choice). And the big SL and CL are just amazing.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

In news:3zlWc.24674$ snipped-for-privacy@hydra.nntpserver.com, fishman decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

AMG springs and shocks may well help, but they won't be cheap. MB have a habit of matching springs to a cars exact spec. If you ask MB for a spring for say a 1998 E class E240, you'll get a multitude of questions related to "has it got a sunroof?, has it got TCS or DSC?" etc..

Er, most M-B cars go round corners very nicely indeed, thank you very much. I preferred to drive an E240 to a 523i any day of the week... Then again, I don't rate BMWs.

Mk2 Golfs *rock*.. (as long as they're GTis)

Reply to
Pete M

Lamborghini LM002?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, yes, there is that, but as discussed earlier, it's more of a Hummer than a road car.

Reply to
SteveH

According to the Lambo website - 30l / 100km, amusing since VW are the only supplier of a production hatch that does 3l/100km

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

To give a constructive answer to this question - I would go to Brabus

who will be the only proper tuner in the UK with experience of improving the handling of ML on more than a couple of vehicles. It won't be cheap but it will be proper.

Alternatively, as mentioned elsewhere, flog it and get a Cayenne or an X3 - both just as good across a smooth field or towing a caravan, both better on road. Or get something a little smaller like a Volvo XC70 or an Audi Allroad.

-- Mr. West, not every situation requires your patented approach of shoot first, shoot later, shoot some more and then when everybody's dead try to ask a question or two

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Integrale? :-P

Reply to
Pete M

EWWW, don't get an X3... it's one of those horrible BMW things.

Then again, after all my recent doings with VWs, I'd not recommend a Toerag to anyone either...

This weeks tally, TWO dead Mk5 Golfs, three melted pistons, and two dead NoX sensors...

pieces of s**te they are..

Reply to
Pete M