In the ten year-ish cars, do you think Non-turbo Supra would be less of a headache vs. the Turbo?

Dear all:

I am not too much of a knowledgeable guy when it comes to turbo cars vs. non-turbos. Do you think that if I were in the market for a

93 to 95 year model supra, it would behoove me to get the non-turbo version (for ease and economy of maintenance)?

If I were to buy a Supra, it would be for the handling and I think the non-turbo version would handle just fine. Plus, it as a softer suspension, so it will be more pleasure to tour with it. I also don't want any form of headaches ie: Reliability and longevity is a huge issue with me. Therefore, the question is: Do turbos generally add more maintenance headaches?

A friend tells me that when he looks for Porches, he looks for the Turbo bodied (but NON-turbo) 1986-1988 911's. He says that in Porches, the Turbos are more touchy and engines don't last as long. Is it the same story with the supras?

Thx in advance.

sincerely. Moser.

Reply to
LovingPerson

Porche? Porsche, surely? :)

But in answer to your question, it will depend on how it's driven and (probably more importantly) how it's shut down. Do consider that they will wear out, but if treated with mechanical sympathy (let the car cool down and idle for some time before shutting down) there's no reason why they won't last for three figure mileages.

The above is generic, so it's quite possible that somebody will come along and report that the Supra chews turbochargers in 40K, I guess - I'd express some surprise if this were the case...

Reply to
DervMan

I should imagine they'd be OK tho. Theres the obvious things, such as oil changes every 5k (or whatever it is) for Turbo'd motors, but Toyota's as a rule are pretty reliable.

The only thing i would say is if economy and reliability are the OP's main concerns - why is he buying a sports car :) Surely he'd be better of with a nice diesel Primera or something.... Supra's are not known for legendary handling are they?

Reply to
Dan405

Assuming the NA engine isn't a duffer then a turbo version is always the one that's at risk of more problems. That doesn't mean it's going to

*have* more problems, that will depend to a large part on how you treat the car. Toyotas are certainly pretty reliable tho and neither version of the Supra is particularly renowned for problems areas.

Ten years is too long a time to keep a car anyway. Buy the turbo version and sell it in 4 years.

Reply to
Lordy

I think he was referring to buying a ten year old car :)

Reply to
Dan405

I believe that the NA and turbo engines are the same basic block (someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Now I've seen the turbos tweaked up to >800BHP so that tells me that the basic engine is plenty strong, driven conservatively and unmodified it should give you years of good service. Now the turbo version will have higher running costs over the long run just because there's more stuff to break but I wouldn't be worried about catastrophic failure, I'd be moe concerned about finding a used, unabused turbo at a reasonable price... something I haven't seen much around here.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I have saw a website about one once, that was 1050bhp and used as a daily driver...appears to be a VERY strong engine. Don't know how well the clutches and stuff would last with that kind of BHP tho......

Reply to
Dan405

From remmebering what I read in a What Car used Survey sometime last yr on the Supra, there were 2 or 3 things that stood out-

The Turbo is no more less reliable than the non, however both are extremnely expensive to have the cam belts changed (60k intervals) and the exhuast system on both is over 800quid, so haggle accordingly for this.

Clutches last fine on the Turbo as long as its not subjected to too many full boost starts, and the rest of the package is pretty much un burstable.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Punch line from the joke: "That's not a Porch, that's a Ferrari".

Reply to
Bob Flaminio

Aw bugger, read it wrong, heh.

Reply to
Lordy

The handling, suspension, brakes, etc, between the Turbo and NA MKIII Supras are identical. I've owned both.

For High-Pressure Turbo Gasoline engines, of course there is a tradeoff of economy and longevity for power. Low-pressure and Diesel turbos are another matter entirely.

The 7M-GTE engine is not the same as the 7M-GE, internally. Several of the key components are heavier/beefier/etc, and there are oil-squirters that bathe the underside of the pistons and the conrods for cooling.

That said, just due to the nature of both turbo sports cars and their drivers, you can easily expect shorter engine life. Things that help: turbo timers, use of synthetic oil, regular cleaning of the intercooler passages and fins, and not raising the boost pressure beyond 11-12psi.

The turbo in the MKIII Supra should be rebuilt after no more than ~120k miles. The turbo manifold and piping make working on and in the engine compartment much more difficult.

Both models are prone to head gasket failure due to incorrect torquing of the headbolts.

I have owned a turbo SAAB 99, and Turbo SAAB 900S, and a Toyota Supra MKIII Turbo. All required far more work and maintenece than their NA companions that I have owned and still own. Unless you're looking for lots of power, I strongly suggest sticking with the NA models, that's what my experience has taught me.

Though, I'm still tempted by the idea of another 22-RTE truck. But I resist that temptation. Trucks should be for working, not working on.

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
quick sale

Same basic block, different internals.

I'd not subject the 7M-GE block to that much horsepower. Ideally, I'd take a 7M-GTE block and de-turbo it for a strong, reliable engine.

More info can be found at

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Don't know about the shop expense, but it's not that difficult of a job to perform oneself.

GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

But he's not interesting the the MKIII Supra. He said 93-95 models years. And there certainly are lots of differences, besides the engine, between the NA and turbo MKIV cars.

Reply to
dizzy

How did you find the 900 (was it the classic or the NG900 GM based car).

I've been driving a classic one for a year. from 118k to 129k, still has the original turbo, still pulls strongly woth a nice whistle, not a hint of rattle/clatter or smoke. From some of the other turbo cars I've seen, the classic 900 is one of the easiest to work on, with just one manifold bolt needing you to be double jointed. Most things are so easy to get at it is amazing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Surely that's the comedy dealer price ? A full system for my TI is just over NINE HUNDRED QUID from a Rover dealer - so I got one from Kwik Fit for a few tens of quids.

Reply to
Nom

They dont handle lol, I driven my mates many a time, very very twitchy, and the turbo version is almost obscene, unless you are a v skilled driver and carry spare pair's of boxers with you. If your a skilled driver you will have tons of fun.

As for reliability, he had nothing go wrong with his in the time owning it, but fuel was a killer.

But tbh if you are going to buy a Supra and they are nice looking cars, go for the turbo, you will only regret not having those extra horses, he was 20 and insurance was 5k a year on a non turbo not much more on the turbo, if your a new driver and you buy a turbo you will prob be dead or seriously injured in a few weeks.

Plus, it as a

Its still bumpy

apparently the Auto box's are good to 1000bhp, and alot stronger then manual's.

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

D-oh! YOu're correct. I somehow read "91-93."

In the MKIV cars, yes, starting with the 6-speed Getrag.

In general, I'd still take the NA.

GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

88 900S, I'll probably never own an NG SAAB.

Well, the 99T was easier, but, yes, as far as Turbo, Manifold, and Clutch are concerned, the SAAB is far easier to work on than the Toyota.

Water pump and alternator, on the other hand...

lycka till! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

Ah yes.

Alernator doesn't look too bad on a 900, but I think the 16v water pump looks a complete mess without the WIS.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo