Insurance question please

Hello group.. Now I might sound a bit thick here, but please bear with me .. If I insure my car as a standard vehicle (no modifications) on third party fire and theft and then decide later to fit a full body-kit but decline to inform the insurance company, I realise that if I had a bump that was my fault it could be arguably agreed that the insurance may not pay out. OK, I realise that, my question is,,what if say another vehicle bumped into me (their fault) would their insurance pay for the damage to my car (not the body-kit) just the car or would they try and get out of it by stating that my car is only supposed to be a standard vehicle. I will have no engine or suspension modifications, just the body-kit and alloys. cheers, I hope you can make sense of all that. Quartz

Reply to
Quartz

I think you'll find your insurance would non and void. Insurance companies will try anything to get out of paying a claim, some will even refuse because you neglected to tell them you had put shiny new alloys on. Or a boot spoiler, I had a hard time convincing an insurance company that my old 2.6 Carlton CDX came with a boot spoiler as standard. I had to get a VX dealer to write to them stating it was standard equipment.

Dave

Reply to
Funkyman

Insurance companies will use *anything* to get out of paying your claim. Don't give them any more chances than they need.

If you end up killing someone and the insurance company don't pay up you'd be f.u.c.k.e.d (literally, if you're not quick at picking soap up...)

Best just to declare the mods... if they're only cosmetic they won't add a great deal to your premium anyway.

Reply to
Simon Burrows

depends if your under 21 with only 1yrs no claims :(

Reply to
Joe

Not really find a good broker and they will probably get you a good deal even at

21 with only 1 years NCB. May be worth trying NU's special vehicle department.
Reply to
Depresion

Hi Gang, CHEERS TO THE GUY, Joe (Depresion) I just called NU and they worked out cheaper with the body-kit *ON* than my present insure does with the car insured as standard. I much appreciate your help/advice, Man!!! I am well chuffed :-)) Quartz

Reply to
Quartz

I bought my '99 Celica in 2002 when I was 20 and had no no claims... managed to insure it fine with minor mods. Keep looking.

Reply to
Simon Burrows

Congrats. At least now you get the peace of mind from knowing that you're properly covered :)

Reply to
Simon Burrows

I have also found them to be good when it comes to paying out.

Reply to
Depresion

Maybe so, but you're not seeking compensation from your company, but from the other guy's insurance. Their assessment of the risk wasn't based on your car's modifications or qualities. And a Nova with a body kit isn't exactly the most rare and costly target to smash up if their marker drives like a beginner.

It might transpire that the insurers pass on the details, and then demand an increased premium (and can you shop around? No. So there's no need to keep the price down). Or they can keep schtum and take your premium(s) with the quiet confidence that the reason they are so high, i.e. they know you're likely to cause accidents, won't be meaning they pay out anyway.)

It's really worth declaring mods, or if you have the option to, to ask what the insurance would be if the car were to be modified in that way before actually going ahead and doing the mod.

(this is not aimed at any poster in particular, but towards anyone not planning to tell their insurance company about the 5.0 v8 bmw engine they intend to mount in the boot + rear seats of a Nova 450cc "super sport". Which now I think of it is probably uninsurable anyway so you might as well save the premiums and let them jail you when the car takes out a bus queue.)

Reply to
antispam

That would be quite cool :) Although even in the back, would the V8 actually fit? And sure thats a V12 anyway, the 5.0 and 5.5 beemer engines ;)

Reply to
Dan405

That's not really much compensation to the person whose car is smashed up by the Nova when they're trying to claim off him and his insurance won't comply because he's done a number on them to try and get a few quid off his premium is it ?

Reply to
Lordy

In news:bvuocq$102ck0$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-165560.news.uni-berlin.de, Dan405 decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Nope, the M5 motor is a 5.0 V8 in the last of the E39s.

but the new, ugly, 5 series is gonna have an alleged 5.5 V10 isn't it?

Reply to
Pete M

They would bend you over the bonnet, and shaft you up the Peco big bore. Now that woudl make some noise.

Insurance isn't just a legal requirement, it is also a legal minefield. Do you want your car crushed. If so don't get it properly insured, then have an accident.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

What does it matter ? If you don't declare the bodykit, then your insurance is void. So why bother paying hundreds of pounds for it ?

Reply to
Nom

I don't know, how big is the V8 and how much space is there in the back of a Nova? You can get an Audi V8 into the back of a Mk2 polo, just.

Reply to
Depresion

Its great when you have 17 years driving under your belt. You modify with the insurance companies permission. You then think, oh, that didn't cost much extra on the insurance. So you modify more. You then think, oh, that didn't cost much extra on the insurance. So you modify more. You then think, oh, that didn't cost much extra on the insurance. So you modify more.

To cut a long story short ... you end up with a stupidly fast insignificant phleb of a hatchback that gets to chase audi s4's. For less insurance than a similar age bmw 730i.

Fun factor :-) Street cred :-(

Track days soon!

-- (Scum Mail Bouncer In use). (Remove the two "n" from email address to reply directly).

Regards..... Steve.

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Fit yes, anything will fit into anything, if you're prepared to move things about a bit.

I don't suppose a Nova with a big engine in the back would handle all that well, that'd be why the insurance wouldn't touch it for one thing. There's a reason why "sports cars" tend to be long, low and wide.

The dimensions of an engine aren't greatly dependent on capacity, anyway, a v8 is pretty much the same height and length as a four cylinder in line of half the capacity, and the reduced width is only really relevant when the engine is mounted transversely.

If you're interested...

A Nova would be a horrible shape for handling. I was thinking about doing something like this many years ago with an old Maxi. Much maligned, the Maxi did actually have a really useful shape, the wheels were well spread out, the boot was cavernous, etc. Having measured things up, the old BLMC 1800 engine could be pulled out and a Rover SD1 engine/box fitted easily into the space, quite simple to route exhausts to the back as there were spaces for a back box either side of the spare wheel well to cater for RHD / LHD so you could fit a decent twin system with no issues at all, tubular at the front was no problem. You took out the rear well anyway to fit the back axle. With the battery moved to the rear weight distribution was fine and the existing radiator space would have been plenty for a beefed up rad with electric fan.

The hydraulic suspension was a lot better than the pundits made out, especially under load, and the brakes could be swapped quite easily for uprated stuff as the originals were pretty useless even without the replacement engine. But under hard braking, the hydraulic suspension didn't dive, etc.

So you get an old Maxi, spend some cash strengthening and improving the shell and suspension but being careful to do nothing much for the bodywork which shows. The ultimate Q car. When you consider the original was perfectly happy to reach 120 and went 0-60 in ten seconds, you can probably see how a (160, maybe 200) BHP rover engine would have made it more like 130 / 8 or maybe 140 /

7, what with the reasonably clean aerodynamics and rock hard suspension. Not very nimble at cornering, but we're not talking about using it as a track car anyway.

Very comfortable, the Maxi, the first hatchback, and in this guise, you could park it at the train station without much fear of someone stealing it. The other refinement was crossply tyres, ultimate grip wasn't the point, but having something that made all the growling noises you could want and screeched when you started overdoing the corners would be ideal for monster bumper fun without the risk of coming off the road too fast. Never got around to doing it though, more's the pity.

A downside is fuel consumption, I don't suppose it would do more than about 30 at best, and more like low 20's when not cruising on the motorway, but mpg wasn't the point.

Reply to
antispam

It's not, and you won't find me advising people to modify without permission or to do without insurance at all, I think it's a really poor idea.

Reply to
antispam

Hey look, Roger/Quartz too stupid to understand insurance, too stupid to work a newsreader, too lame to flame. With a bit of luck too dim to draw breath as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth