Interesting insurance quote...

It appears that insuring a 1997 BMW 528i Estate is cheaper than insuring a Golf TDI. Go figure...

Mind you, an XJR is only going to be around 50-60 quid more expensive than the Golf.

Not that I've found an actual car but I figured it'd be useful to know.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Just heard a story from an MX-5 club member that fitting eibach lowering springs to his MK3 has lowered his premium by £30 or so.

Insurance is a bit mental.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

My sister's 197 Cup is cheaper to insure than her old Honda Civic 1.4 for some reason! Insurance *is* mental.

Reply to
Abo

.jpgs?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Likely down to those who choose them. The 528T is hardly a boy racer vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Of the car or sister?

Reply to
Depresion

Where as all the boy racers want an oil burner estate golf?

Reply to
Depresion

I did a quick quote on a standard Ibiza through one of the insurance comparison sites to find out how badly[1] I'd be shafted when declaring all the mods, apparently: a remap, FMIC, decat, coilovers, LSD and TT stoppers saved me about 14% over the cheapest standard quote. So it seems more power = lower premiums, unfortunately I can't afford the Veyron to take it to it's logical conclusion.

[1] Compared to the normal level of shaftage
Reply to
Depresion

Insuring an ex-drag racing Capri 2.8i V6 complete with all the go faster goodies was only £30 a year more than a standard 2L Laser.

Reply to
Conor

No no. You'd have to modify an Ibiza so it was faster than a Veyron. I believe Peter Hill can help with that. I think it only costs a couple of pounds if its anything like a 200SX. (c:

Modifying is the way. Standard cars cost loads to insure, silly.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

There are far more old BMWs about and the estate cars don't tend to be driven by tossers. The image of BMW has changed from drug dealer to "older man" as the Volvo used to have. The Golf tends to be driven by idiots and involved in more accidents. It has the same image as the Audi now, driven by benefit scroungers and dealers.

That's because of the performance. It will cost more to insure, even though it is seem as another old man's car. Usually retired with nothing better to do with their money.

Well it is common knowledge and quotes are widely available.

Reply to
Roger

Probably a complete lie/pub talk. Modifying a car from factory standard and upsetting the suspension geometry will INCREASE the premium. Ask him to prove it with written confirmation. What you both might be getting confused about is that his policy has reduced by £30 when he renewed and he hasn't mentioned the springs - which means he is driving without insurance. I would treat it as a story!

Reply to
Roger

Is the estate the only Golf diesel?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hello Clive.

Reply to
Grant

You're the person more commonly known as the tiscali idiot, aren't you. Well, at least you're not using my name any more.

Reply to
Clive George

Flux didn't mind me adding a strut brace and roll cage to the MX-5. No extra charge, just "thanks for letting us know"

Strangely, I just tried to put the Puma on a limited miles policy with flux. Came to *more* than I'm paying on a standard FC policy with More Than. Very strange. I've just done something bad and bought a Xsara TD for the missus..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

You never know. I once worked with a lad who had a MK3 Golf, absolutely crammed full of speakers and slammed to the floor. It was a 1.4.

Reply to
Doki

I find that Golfs are always really expensive to insure. I don't know if it's the "GTI trickle down effect" that's been going on since the

1980s when everyone stuck a GTI badge on their boggo Golf and promptly wrapped it round the nearest tree after finding out the hard way that the badge wasn't the bit responsible for better GTI handling.
Reply to
fishman

Suck my c*ck Clive.

Reply to