Internal LED mod

Hey all,

How easy do you think it would be to fit a couple of LEDs internally that come on with the main lights on my car? It's a Pug 206 and there's a whole bunch of wires and the fuse box up underneath the steering wheel. I'm quite happy with doing the whole thing, it's just choosing the correct wire to tap into I'm not sure about. I doubt a wiring diagram is available, any ideas? Or should I just go poking about with my multimeter? There isn't even a list of what fuse is for what in the manual.

TIA

Scott

Reply to
scott

Very!

2 leds 2 resistors (1k each should do the trick.)
Reply to
Burgerman

Look at the headlamp switch, and an earth with your multimeter? Depends if you want it at dip, full, both, or sidelights? There will be power with sidelights from lit up switches/heater controls, etc or your radio/cd?

Reply to
Burgerman

Yes, I kind of worked that bit out, and even worked out that 600R should be ok ;-)

Both/all would be ideal, but the problem is the headlamp switch is on the indicator stalk. There's just a mass of wires coming out of the steering column section.

Hmm that's a good point, I will have a closer poke around to see if I can see anything obvious. The radio is one of the built-in jobbies so I can't get to it very easily.

If that fails I guess just having it come on whenever the ignition is on would be ok.

Reply to
scott

WHY???

Reply to
jeremy

cos blu lites evrywhere luks wikkid innit.

Reply to
Mason

The Passat W8 has some orange LED's that are mounted in the main internal light that come on with the headlights to give a soft illumination to the dear leaver.

Reply to
Depresion

Dunno really, just a little project to make my car a bit different to everyone elses. Guess it could be useful for finding stuff inside your car whilst driving in the dark. Saw it on a few cars whilst I was in Japan and thought it was a good idea. Not talking anything stupidly bright, just a couple of dim LEDs to make the footwell area not pitch-black.

Reply to
scott

I was thinking a dull orange actually to match the colour of all the other dials and buttons!

Reply to
scott

Try a Haynes manual, they have wiring diagrams in the back of them. Just hire one from a library rather than buying it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

oh, just find which fuse gets power when you put the lights on (black lead of the multimeter to grounded screw/whatever in car, read lead to fuse) and tap into that. would be wise to put a 3amp fuse inline with the leds.

Reply to
jeremy

I'd say take a feed from the 'illumination' wire that goes to the back of your stereo. IIRC it should be an orange wire - it's the only one that'll go +12v (give or take) with the lights on and nothing when they're off.

That way you won't need to fart about finding the wires at the headlight switch for sidelights, dim, dip etc - the illumination wire to the stereo is live whenever the dash lights etc are on.

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Utterly trivial. 12v ones will probably burn out so you need the low voltage type with a suitable resistor.

The best place to get a feed from is the side lights / dash, and I mean there is a lightbulb in the front, rear or numberplate that you can get a +12v feed from. If the dash is easy to get into, it will have lights in there as well. Then just hook this +12v volt to the resistor and led(s), the other end of the led being earthed to whatever is convenient (bodywork will do).

Reply to
Questions