Is this overpriced for a trade car?

If the details are right and it has full history?

With the arse ache I'm having with the replacement alarm and even higher petrol prices going on and on and on, time maybe for something a little newer with a lot less miles and a more reliable history.

I love the aero, but I can't use the alarm for risk of it going off after between 30 seconds and 5 minutes for no reason, I get sick of being woken at 6AM at the weekend when it there is no one arround. I can live without the alarm apart from the insurance, but I need it imobilised if I park up anywhere and you don't get that using the key.

The alarm fitters have

1) replaced the ultra sonic controller 2) adjusted the ultra sonic controller 3) replaced the main alarm 4) checked the battery condition/drain/load when armed.

And only once did it show the problem with them. As always it might be fine for 3 days, or it might go off 4 times a day.

It won't go off when the fan kicks in when the engine is off, and it won't kick in when the fan stops, bit it might go off 5-30 minutes later.

They have had it back to the shop 5 times in the last 2 months and each time "fixed it", and this Saturday the head tech from Gemini UK is coming to "fix it" as they don't know what is wrong now.

Reply to
Elder

It's a 14 year old car. Chances are that at some point it will have been neglected. If you just need comfy and reliable then buy something fairly new and cheap. Like a Mondeo at 4 or 5 years old.

Reply to
Doki

Well, whilst that is newer and less leggy than yours, it's still well over

10 years old, built in the run when Mercs were at their absolute worst, with almost 100,000 miles on it. Just give in and get a Saxo diesel or something. I know you want to be different etc etc but you're just making your life difficult and stressful un-necessarily.

Get a quote without the alarm, it'll probably be about £15 more - if anything at all. Even though you live in Beirut it seems, I bet it won't make a difference because of the value of the car.

Reply to
DanB

Big *DING*. Even if you have to do the unthinkable and borrow a few quid for it, at least you'll have something that works and doesn't have a massive bill round the corner for a change.

Reply to
DanB

Um. That's a W124. They're fairly indestructible. OTOH the Merc club reckoned I should have been looking at £7-8K for a 320 Estate if I wanted a good one. And they all seemed to spend money on their motors like there was no tomorrow.

Reply to
Doki

The Life Cycle of the Mercedes W124

Birth - Glorious moment, prestige, *gleamgleam* Youth - Polished and pride Puberty - "The neighbours have a newer plate one" Adulthood - "Cor, it's a Merc for Mondeo money! And these buggers are indestructible!" (Lack of maintaince follows, of course) Middle age - "I've got pains in my joints" Dotage - "Oh god, kill me now - no, wait, I'll do it meself" - or lots of plastic surgery.

Thing is, the W124 mid 90s is made under Mercedes cost cutting, and they rust earlier in their lives than the 1980s ones did. They ALL rust though. And people need to spend big bucks on suspension on them, though service parts aren't horrific.

I have tried a few leggy old W124s thinking "excellent overengineered Merc, lovely, I remember what my old one was like". And then realising that my old one was 70,000 miles and six years old. And was already rusting in the rear 1/4 and went through a phase of not starting. And had had the rear suspension levelling rebuilt under warranty once.

They are, or were, good cars. A good used buy they definitely ain't if running cost is a factor.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Hmmm... something like a Skoda Octavia, perhaps?

Last time I had a thatcham approved immobillisor fitted, it was =A3100... a sum which I suspect is slightly less than it'll cost you to change your car... again.

I think this is actually, discounting the rising cost of fuel aside, just another case of you getting itchy car feet and making the excuses you need to make to justify a change to yourself.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

But it's a late one, from when Merc's quality control budget was 17p and their 'make stuff go forever' policy was replaced by their 'make stuff cheaply' policy.

Reply to
DanB

I think this is actually, discounting the rising cost of fuel aside, just another case of you getting itchy car feet and making the excuses you need to make to justify a change to yourself.

Win.

Reply to
DanB

I'm thinking the same too.

Reply to
DervMan

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Ha Ha, I never met Carl, but I know from his postings he's taller, heavier and has bigger feet than me! I'd pay to see him commute in a Saxo Diesel ;-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I'm reasonably tall, but the problem with Saxos and 106s for me was not the distance between the seat and the pedals, it was the narrow footwell and the distance between the pedals which meant I can't easily drive one wearing shoes.

There was, I believe a normally aspirated Diesel ZX Auto. Heheh, jings crivens help ma boab it must be slow.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Just get an MX-5 and be done with it.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed. The non-turbo ZX diesel's hardly a ball of fire with a manual box.

There was an XM on fleaBay a while back which had had an engine swap. For a non-turbo XUD.

A 1.7 non-turbo XUD...

I suspect it didn't need a speedo, it needed a calendar.

Reply to
Adrian

Wha..? Seriously? Mind you, it'll give reason to install a PDA mount - for the diary...

Why oh why? Unless, "I blew my donk and happened to have this sitting around" I suppose.

Reply to
DervMan

I used to commute 200 miles a day in an AX Diesel - I'm 6'3" and have a penchant for pies.

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

No, but they rev quite nicely for an NA diesel of that era, as does its sister, the 306, ergo they don't feel that slow really.

LOL

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Me too. Something Fiat manage successfully with the smaller Cinquecento, Daihatsu manage with most of their ubersmall things, the PSA group don't.

And a Xantia too, because we wanted a test drive in one for our diesel-only fleet. They're fairly rare; I'd suppose Citroen's idea was that only a few people wanted a diesel automatic, so it would corner the under-premium market (otherwise, you'd opt for a Mercedes, pretty much) for company car drivers who *needed* the automatic (rather than wanted it, because nobody really wants a 1.9 NA diesel auto, surely?).

Reply to
DervMan

No no, if you want _that_ sort of car, get a Ka...

Reply to
DervMan