Is this quite cheap for this condition?

Seems it to me, but then again I was tempted by that POS Scorpio the other day - maybe I needed my eyes testing then, but this one does look quite nice.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hmm, arches tidied up, does that mean cut out and weld in, or bog in some more wag dave, it's only going on ebay.

I see from that photo of the rear it has a 40 a day habit.

If you bought something like that, you would have to change your name from Astravanman to Dot Cotton, or the Marlborough man.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

You couldn't pay me to own another V12 Jag. Worst designed and built car ever.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

But the camera always lies on these sort of shots.

Love the way he said it beat a 'BMW convertible' up a hill. As well it might, being over 5 litres and the BMW anything from 1.8. I'll bet it beats it to the pumps as well...

Love also the things not working.'Could be a fuse'. Or then again, could not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chances are the electrical problems are because it is a Jag. This can be confirmed by looking for the word Lucas on anything connected to the battery.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah yes lets start with the Lucas bashing then: Lucas invented intermittent wipers and dim/dip lights. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

But the reason most of it doesn't work is beacuse the connectors that the 'Lucar' bullet connectors go in are not sealed, made from steel and just corrode away. This means the Lucas part is no longer connected to the battery.

Lucas had a big hand in killing the UK motorcycle industry. Had some notion that when an electrical system was upgraded to 12V it should cost twice as much. OK on high end models like Commandos which could bear the cost but the bread and butter models where stuck with cheap badly made 6V systems while a lot of the Japanese competition had 12V and even 6v systems were better made with far better reliability.

Peter Hill

I doubt it's got many bullet connectors. And I've never seen them made of steel. They're plated brass. It's also up to the car maker to seal them with some proper grease on assembly - not the harness supplier, who wasn't necessarily Lucas anyway, even if the components were.

Lucas simply made what the industry demanded - and was willing to pay for. They also made R-R electrics - and of course aero-space equipment. Lucas didn't have a monopoly of electrics supply - any UK maker was free to use any other. But Lucas were never knowingly undersold...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Lucas 3 position switch. Dim Flicker and Off.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No they did, an american fella has a patent for intermittent wipers, and is gradually going round the world suing motor manufacturers for royalties for the use of a design similar in function to what he patented.

I think he has already settled with 3 fairly biggies, and has a load more law suits in progress.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

No intermittent as in they only worked intermittently. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

The first type I had was on a P6 Rover - mechanical, or rather pneumatic in operation. Very clever, really.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

CASE CLOSED!

As his claim must have a date of 1967 and US patents back then only lasted 17 years he only has a claim against cars fitted before 1984.

The old vacuum ones which predate his claim had highly variable speed. Going slower and slower as the engine load increased and vacumm decreased.

Don't mess with GM or EDS you will lose. SKY have taken on EDS (was GM's computing division) but will no doubt suffer the same humilation as the NHS and many British firms that use EDS's services.

Peter Hill

It has interestingly grey "steam" coming out of the back, and the comment about "well there's the usual dash warning lights coming on and off" was a bit off putting.

Mind you, lots of CCs for a grand. You have to actually check cars over properly, digital photos are very misleading.

Reply to
Questions

Depends on the Jag. A V12 XJS is going to be expensive. An AJ6 engined XJ is much less prone to having big nasty expensive things go wrong.

Reply to
Doki

Random warnings on old jags really is the norm, quite fun as long as you know there isn't anything wrong with the car you can take bets on what warning you are going to get. :) Had one a couple of years back with the multi function display and that's better still as you get lots of silly random pictures.

Reply to
Depresion

Never came across intermittent vacuum wipers. The Lucas setup had a air operated switch that provided the delay - absolutely no electronics.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news:zPX_c.75$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-win.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

DON'T buy an XJ-S. Especially not a V12 one. You'd have to be insane...

The bloke I bought the TT Estate off, races a 3.6 XJ-S..

Reply to
Pete M

They were not supposed to be intermittent. But as they used manifold vacuum they tended to slow down at speed or when accelerating.

Peter Hill

*shudders*

EDS.

eurgh.

..pi(guess who was a civil servant for a few months?)

Reply to
pi(obfuscated)