Currently being towed to Newport VW.

Diagnosis is a buggered fuel pump.

Reply to
SteveH

How many miles has it done?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

67k.

Around the same as all the others when they broke.... with the same symptoms.

Reply to
SteveH

Rubbish!

Should have got yourself a nice reliable Alfa ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Should've got a Mondeo...

:p

OTOH, it's not yours as I remember so it's not like you'll be footing the bill or aren't you that lucky?

Reply to
Conor

You're right.

But I'm kind of stuck in Peterboghorror without a car at the moment.

Reply to
SteveH

Any idea what they'll give you while it's fixed?

When someone crashed into my company Astra back when, the body shop gave me a Toyota Yaris to use, which some bellend reversed into about 20 minutes after I picked it up...

Reply to
Abo

Absolutley - 120K on mine and I've just had the first 'oh bugger' failure, clutch slave cylinder (£170 quid, fitted)

Reply to
cupra

NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo............

Reply to
Conor

Puegeot 206 1.1 litre plastic gutless wonder no doubt.

Reply to
Conor

Well, I organised a hire car at 8am this morning.

I got....

A new shape Bravo Multijet diesel thing.

Not sure on the spec, it says 120T on the side, so I'm assuming it's the basic 120bhp diesel in basic spec.

It's actually rather good.

Reply to
SteveH

Paging Tim Kemp, the man with about twenty similar stories.......

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Should have demanded a pikey toyota. The diesels work quite well.

Reply to
Elder

Good points - Jansen Hong shop. Bad points - everything else.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Come to think of it, I saw many, many broken down Passats in Italy as well.

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's a cheap crap generic Bosch lifter pump which feeds diesel to the high pressure pump under the bonnet. They are sucking up s**te from the bottom of the tank and getting blocked. Which is why the 'hit it with a big hammer' trick worked first time it broke, but when it did the same

60 miles later, I decided I'd be better off getting it towed in.

The thing is, much as I like the Passat, and thought I'd escaped all the hassles my colleagues have had by looking after it.... it has still broken like almost all the rest have. Not so keen on having another now. In fact, not so keen on having another VW, to be honest, 'cos the alternatives are just shorter versions of the same oily bits.

The alternatives are a Seat Leon, which will have the same issues, a Superb, which is kind of tempting 'cos they're 5.5 based, loaded with kit and probably better built than the VW B6, but doesn't drive as well.... or, I change brands and look at the Volvo V50. However, lease rates on them are a bit steep, so the engine offered is the PSA based

1.6HDI - which sounds terribly small for a V50. Still tempting, but do I really want a PSA engined Ford with a different badge? Strangely, we don't get the option of a Ford or Vauxhall, but the next band up get the option of a fully loaded Mondeo - if they get that, why don't we get the Zetec, or similar? - must be down to lease rates and depreciation.
Reply to
SteveH

Italian! You must be over the moon ;)

Reply to
Abo

Still, as it was such a nice place to be, at least it was comfortable wait for recovery. I've heard you can spend 4 hours a day they without any aches.

Reply to
Elder

"If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen"

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

In my life they are. Which is a problem.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston