Just Seen #44

A Smart with an atmo dump valve. Sounded like sneezing but louder :P.

Reply to
Doki

Heard a couple of them, it's hilarious.

I'm driving a smart at the oment, amuses me to be able to drive a car around town and hear the wastegate fluttering, to do that in a 911 you'd be ramming things...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:D:D:D:D

/wipes tears from eyes/

Good for you :)

Reply to
Dan405

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

hmmm.. coming from someone who drives a clapped out frogmobile....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, thats how bad Smarts are :) When even i can take the piss, you know you're in trouble. And when i can ligitimently say my car is faster than yours, you're in trouble again :)

And it may be old (11 now), and frog, but have 95k miles, but i've never had any problems with it, so i would argue its not clapped out :). Starts first time, every time, never misses a beat, barely uses any oil at all between changes, i.e. i don't have to top it up.

Reply to
Dan405

hmmm - faster than mine...maybe on the figures but remember, mines a hire car, and that's the only thing faster than a company car.

oooh... the measure of a quality car... I can't even say that about my 1 yr old 10k mile zafira (uses about a litre between changes).

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Smarts are horrid. I drove a cabriolet one, and it was truly the most unpleasant driving experience I have ever had - and I've driven some very unpleasant cars, like Ford Fiestas.

Any car that takes longer than a one armed arthritic man to change gear, and loses what little power it has when doing so, should be shot or banned from A-roads entirely. Going up hills was like being catapulted along; if you can imagine being towed up a hill on an elastic band, that's exactly what I thought the Smart was like.

Nothing wrong with French cars, as long as they're big, old, and cheap.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

True...

Well to be fair, it IS a vauxhall :)

Reply to
Dan405

We've one around York. Not only does it have a dump valve, that sounds like a sneeze, but it's gearchange is dramatically quicker than normal and it's probably running more power /cough/.

Still rolls a lot on roundabouts, and that makes it Ka-fodder in twisty stuff, which is good news because I can't keep up on the straight bits... :)

Indeedy, whilst none are especially quick, the older Smart & Pulse is quite peppy in-gear, but as people who've driven them can realise, it's the gear change that slows it down. They need fourth gear to hit a genuine 62 mph, and with a gear change taking something like a second, that's why the 0 - 62 times are slow.

But Smarts remind me of Microsoft Windows - successive generations are better and better. Smart have improved the gearchange and each model I've driven has been sharper and sharper.

They are expensive for what they are... but they're very cheap to run. Anything that can return almost 38 mpg with Tim Kemp driving it is going to be easy on petrol.... :)

Reply to
DervMan

BWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's a mid engined, rear wheel drive, six speed sequential transmission, two seat, two door turbocharged coupe? :)

Reply to
DervMan

yep - that was trying very hard too, under the same circumstances I got

31mpg from a 3 cyl corsa.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But still cack compared to anything proper :).

It looks like I might hit 25mpg in the Ka this week.

Reply to
Doki

Geeeeze I seldom do worse than 24mpg in my Volvo - must be the shitey old pushrod motor that makes the ka even worse than it should be. It needs a decent 2.0 turbo motor....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It needs *ANYTHING* instead of a pushrod motor - hamsters in wheels would be a start...

Reply to
Dan405

Is this more or less than your usual! ;)

Reply to
DervMan

Heh heh. I've managed under 26 mpg, but the temperature didn't get above freezing that week and we only used him for very short trips.

Fuel consumption isn't a strength of the Ka, but then if we wanted something that put fuel consumption above everything else, we'd have bought a Arosa

1.7 diesel.
Reply to
DervMan

Heh heh heh.

Reply to
DervMan

You mean Windoze? Maybe. But for the Smart, no I disagree. It's all about priorities. What one individual thinks is awful is anothers' ideal vehicle. The Smart makes a lot of sense as a commuter for some people. It's small, it's economical, it's very easy to drive, it covers the basics. For some people, this is enough.

[snip]
Reply to
DervMan

Some people are stupid...

Reply to
Dan405

Some people think the ability to go sideways is what matters ;).

Reply to
Doki