LDV Pilot

Has anyone fitted a peugot turbo diesel motor into a LDV Pilot ?

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completionx-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
paul clarke

I'm sure Sure someone has mentioned this, probably un uk.rec.cars.maintenance.I've got an LDV 400, and an old Citroen Xantia with a top engine and was wondering the same..

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P From the North

there was on ebay a couple of weeks agoe a LDV that had a montego diesel-turbo fitted. and they said that when they started it up the exhaust hits the stearng rack.. but the engine went strait in...

Reply to
troll finder 2005

The Pilot (and Convoy) has a steering box, so not sure how the exhaust could it that- but the front axle could.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Rods from steering box. May require the sump and oil pickup pipe changing.

Reply to
Conor

Isn't the Montego Diesel-Turbo, actually the Peugeot 1.8 Diesel-Turbo ? As also used in the Rover 200 of the same era ?

Reply to
Nom

No, its the entirely Rover L series turbo d- which was originally a dieselised version of the O2 series petrol unit.. Nothing at all like a PSA XUDT.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Nope, but I can see where your confusion comes from. The TD engine from the Montego was modified to become the Rover L-series engines, as used in the later Rover 200/400 series. The earlier ones used the Pug engine. Both pretty decent engines, though the L-series are less reliable than the older Perkins engines due to being prone to throwing cambelts (I think it's to do with a different tensioner design, when they modified them with 16-valve heads), and I've heard the Pug engines have weak head gaskets at higher mileages, but I might be getting mixed up with the 1.7TD Isuzu engines used in Vauxhalls (or maybe both have potential weak HG probs at highish mileages).

That apparently-well-informed stuff was largely guesswork, based loosely on the truth, so take it all with a pinch of salt. And dip it in humous. That's nice. But can make you fart if you have too much.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not a bad effort though! The Rover L-series direct injection unit was launched in 1995, as an 86bhp non-intercooled version and a 105bhp version with intercooler and a Bosch VP44 electronic fuel pump. It was based on the Rover 2.0L T-series petrol unit, and used the knowledge gained from the previous Perkins Prima 2.0L DI Montego/Maestro engine, so shares a lot of characteristics.

The L-series is almost completely bombproof. The only thing that seems to kill them is hydraulic lock caused by a low air intake. There are several examples running around with around 500,000 miles on them. Not sure where the throwing cambelts comes from - they have a 86k/6 year belt change interval, and they _do_ last this. It's also an 8v unit rather than a 16v unit. The 105bhp model can easily make in excess of

130bhp with the use of a =A3250 chip, and I know of several examples that are making 150/160bhp with little extra work. In 2000, the fuel system was updated to the Bosch VE-EDC system (as used on the non-PD VAG TDI units). These make 101bhp, but have greater torque.

The earlier Perkins Prima unit (as fitted to Montego/Maestro) is also a very strong (if seriously rough) engine. The weak point on the Prima is the head gasket, but even this is not especially common.

I've heard that some flavours of the Pug XUD engine can suffer from premature con rod failure. I'm not sure how true this is though.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Ah.

Reply to
Nom

and also the 600.

It's the same block as the petrol T-Series T16 Turbo, as found in the 620 TI etc. :)

Ah righty.

It doesn't throw cambelts when it's in 16v Turbo Petrol mode. Although obviously the top-end is completely different :)

Reply to
Nom

Yup.

I've heard that mentioned. Was that also a similar block design to the older Perkins lumps too, or is most of the similarity between the L-series and Perkins Prima in the top end?

Aye, I think it's something to do with tensioners (cost-cutting, using cheap shit tensioners like Vauxhall did in the Ecotec), and probably bugger all to do with the number of valves!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

L-Series Diesel and T-Series Petrol are the same block. Both came from the older O-Series. No idea about "Perkins" :)

Reply to
Nom

Perkins is the old Maestro/Montego diesel lump. I was always under the impression that the L-series was just an improved version of that, so thought it might have the same block. Might be the same head - or the T/L-series lumps could both share a block with the old Perkins one, which could possibly have been known as the O-series.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan