Learnt a new pub carpark trick tonight.

Was at the local jap car meet at the pub tonight. Carpark so full that I=20 was late and had to park on the overflow. One of the old GT4 club guys=20 asked what I was in as he hadn't seen me since I sold the 4, and he was=20 a Delica driver now.

Pointed him at old faithful. He imediatley wanted to take loads of=20 photos of the engine "Quad cam 23v V8 etc". So I showed him the back=20 seat toys. And then he said he had heard a story, told me to open the=20 bonnet again, and when he says, rev the engine and hold it at 3-4k.

I did so. I could see under the bonnet edge he had put a beer bottle on=20 top the intake plenum with about 1/4 bottle in it.

The beer never rippled. As the revs rose, the beer still didn't ripple.=20 At 4k revs, solid held. The engine is so smooth, he took his hand of the=20 bottle, I let it drop to idle, let it climb, drop then blipped the=20 throttle. Nothing. No movement.

How smooth is that, at 100k miles, no service history at all, and one=20 slightly tappy follower that could do with a shim.

I have a new party trick.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Pointed him at old faithful. He imediatley wanted to take loads of photos of the engine "Quad cam 23v V8 etc". So I showed him the back seat toys. And then he said he had heard a story, told me to open the bonnet again, and when he says, rev the engine and hold it at 3-4k.

I did so. I could see under the bonnet edge he had put a beer bottle on top the intake plenum with about 1/4 bottle in it.

The beer never rippled. As the revs rose, the beer still didn't ripple. At 4k revs, solid held. The engine is so smooth, he took his hand of the bottle, I let it drop to idle, let it climb, drop then blipped the throttle. Nothing. No movement.

How smooth is that, at 100k miles, no service history at all, and one slightly tappy follower that could do with a shim.

I have a new party trick.

sweet! i'll try that with the BM tomorrow shall i haha watch me get wet :)

Reply to
Vamp

You have lots of sloppy rubber damping.

HTH.

The 75s engine visibly rocks in the engine bay when you blip the throttle.

That's more like it.....

Reply to
SteveH

No, he hasn't. The Lexus engine like the better Honda's have counterrotating balance shafts. They are among the very best in smoothness and the very best in business.

What Carl described was at the launch in the US of Lexus a promo-gig: a glass of beer on the Lexus engine and next to it a glass of beer on (iirc) a Mercedes V8 SL engine. The revs went up, the glass on the Toyata hardly moves, the glass on the Merc starts foaming...

What Carl descibes is accuraat.

If I do the same with the 75: beer will be all over the car and the garage will smell for a week.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

My whole Range Rover rocks when I blip the throttle ;-)

Reply to
Pete M

And when you close the door, adjust the radio, open the glove-box, turn on the lights etc

You people need efficiently packaged engines pointing the wrong way

-- Chet

2002 SEAT Leon 20vT - 1994 Renault 19 16v Cabrio 1991 Integrale 16v - 1991 Renault 19 16v - 1982 Wife who says theres too many cars
Reply to
Chet

Wasn't there an advert of them running one up to 100mph on a rolling road with a champagne pyramid on the bonnet?

-- Chet

2002 SEAT Leon 20vT - 1994 Renault 19 16v Cabrio 1991 Integrale 16v - 1991 Renault 19 16v - 1982 Wife who says theres too many cars
Reply to
Chet

Still looking for an Elise wiring loom?

Homer

I remember something like that somewhere.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

I am surprised it was still smooth! That will be the tappet rattle you are hearing!

Reply to
Burgerman

Yeah, mine did that. But it did have extended jelly for suspension.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

My shortlist of "Hmm, looks interesting" was

1)Merc 300E (Turbodiesel if I could find one) 2)Hyundai XG30 3)Honda Legend (not an 800) 4)LS400 (just for fun and to fill the carless gap, not to keep).

As it happened as I lost my internet connection that weekend I needed to=20 use the paper autotrader and all the good cars had gone, including a=20 legend and an XG. The XG was up for =A31300, but he said he had to drop=20 the price a lot (didn't say how much) as people said they wouldn't pay=20 that for a Hyundai.=20

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Yup, usually one of two valves go out of adjustment and need shimming. From other owner experience the official line world wide is "Doesn't=20 need sorting until the next service sir", with the unofficial mechanics=20 version of "better a little loose than too tight, you wouldn't hear it=20 on any other engine anyway".

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Yup, usually one of two valves go out of adjustment and need shimming. From other owner experience the official line world wide is "Doesn't need sorting until the next service sir", with the unofficial mechanics version of "better a little loose than too tight, you wouldn't hear it on any other engine anyway".

Reply to
Burgerman

LOL, oops, 32

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

It will be mine :-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f4kmqm$8bn$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

If the auto wipers crank themselves up to full in the 206 whilst I'm stationary, the whole car rocks :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Top Gear did the same thing in the UK with a glass of water when the LS400 came out.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Ah, bet the BBC couldn't get funding for real beer out of the license=20 fee.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Cr=FCxshadows-Windbringer

Elder

Maybe because UK beer doesn't foam as Belgian beer does.

Free drinks on the Elders cost for all!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor